Next-Gen Consoles Rumors & Related NEWS

• 2 weeks later...

MS: Next Xbox may not replace Xbox 360

It's possible that when Microsoft releases its next console gaming platform, it won't outright kill off the Xbox 360.

At least, that's a sentiment that Microsoft VP Chris Lewis gave in a recent interview with UK news site Metro.co.uk.

Even before the Xbox 360 first came out in 2005, Microsoft championed its plans to make the console a 10-year platform, which would lead most to believe that the next Xbox wouldn't be until 2015.

However, Lewis, who heads up the Xbox division in Europe, eased off on that itinerary just a bit.

"Well, we think we’re more than halfway through but given we are still growing, we think we’re at a healthy part in the life cycle still because we’ve pumped this adrenaline into the arm of the business with Kinect and the scope and scale of what that means for publishers and developers I think is huge. And indeed with Xbox Live which does truly stand us apart from everybody else. So we think we’re a little over halfway with the life cycle of the console, but that’s not to say there won’t be an overlap," he said in the interview.

In other words, it looks like the next iteration of Microsoft's home console might come before 2015, but the plan is to keep supporting the 360 until the end of that 10-year life span.

"I’m not going to announce specifically or talk about timing. But you could imagine there could be overlap, it depends. We’re not being specific about the next generation at this stage. We’re very fixated on what we’re doing right now and the success we’re enjoying," Lewis confirmed.

The Xbox 360 has done a good job of staying relevant through firmware updates, but some of its hardware specs make it difficult to last the test of time. Additionally, there is a huge amount of fragmentation in hardware, unlike the PS3 and Wii which have retained their core specs from day one.

So another Xbox would seem to be due in the next couple years. If Lewis's comments are anything to go by, that could definitely be the case.

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/57934-ms-next-xbox-may-not-replace-xbox-360

The Xbox 360 has done a good job of staying relevant through firmware updates, but some of its hardware specs make it difficult to last the test of time. Additionally, there is a huge amount of fragmentation in hardware, unlike the PS3 and Wii which have retained their core specs from day one.

:rofl:

Yeah MS shouldnt replace Xbox 360 . Best console ever made . :bigyellowgrin:

I have been playing ps2 these days....specially shadow of rome...first of all amazing game in itself ...now abt ps2 trust me i still cannot get enough of this console.....PS2 is every video gamers dream console i would say.....you can get superb games of almost every genre and the library is killer.....it blows every console library to date...amazing how st times ... i still enjoy 11 year console more than next gen console and good enough pc combined.

In honest words of mine ...i'd say Best console ever made would be PS2. if you dont own one and not a graphic wh*re ...trust is there is enough for you in this to keep going for a very long time....I still have long list of ps2 games i want to play ...even longer than ps3 and pc.....i missed whole of sukioden series on ps2 and they were highly praised games...then i missed ace combat 4 and 5.....then i missed viewtiful joe....then there is Rnc 2.....fatal frame ..dark cloud series.......list is huge man....these are just what came to mind...if i sit and think i guarantee you it would still be atleast 30-50 games easily that i am yet to play on ps2 and all of them were great ....

I have been playing ps2 these days....specially shadow of rome...first of all amazing game in itself ...now abt ps2 trust me i still cannot get enough of this console.....PS2 is every video gamers dream console i would say.....you can get superb games of almost every genre and the library is killer.....it blows every console library to date...amazing how st times ... i still enjoy 11 year console more than next gen console and good enough pc combined.

In honest words of mine ...i'd say Best console ever made would be PS2. if you dont own one and not a graphic wh*re ...trust is there is enough for you in this to keep going for a very long time....I still have long list of ps2 games i want to play ...even longer than ps3 and pc.....i missed whole of sukioden series on ps2 and they were highly praised games...then i missed ace combat 4 and 5.....then i missed viewtiful joe....then there is Rnc 2.....fatal frame ..dark cloud series.......list is huge man....these are just what came to mind...if i sit and think i guarantee you it would still be atleast 30-50 games easily that i am yet to play on ps2 and all of them were great ....

Itney lambey lecture ki koi zarurat nahi <_< .....His fav... .console is 360.... :P

Itney lambey lecture ki koi zarurat nahi <_< .....His fav... .console is 360.... :P

Itney lbakwaas ki koi zarurat nahi <_< .....His fav... .console is PS2....

@PlayStation

Do you have a 360 ? If you dont have or havent played it then how can you compare it with the others .

Talking abt PS2 , I have played most of the games and while i still enjoy it.

You cant get enough of not only the PS2 but the 360 too.Both have good games with touching stories and great Game-Play

@PlayStation

Do you have a 360 ? If you dont have or havent played it then how can you compare it with the others .

Talking abt PS2 , I have played most of the games and while i still enjoy it.

You cant get enough of not only the PS2 but the 360 too.Both have good games with touching stories and great Game-Play

I dont have xbox360...i am sure there are some great games on 360 too ...abt me comparing 360 to ps2....i am not comparing to be exact with any console....just telling him that ps2 library is unbeatable by any console till now...

and you dont have to be rocket scientist to check that out ....just take a look at ps2 games....you can sit any make TOp 100 games on ps2 and still feel ah i missed this i guess......and on many other consoles you would struggle to make even Top 20-30......

Since I got my PS2 back, I have played PS2 way more than PS3 or PC. Currently I am playing MGS 3 and GOW 2 yet again. SOTC is on the way and I also have got Shadow of Rome and all DBZ games. The console is just epic in every way. Also played Black, amazing shooter even by today's standards. I am getting GT 4 as well. B)

• 3 weeks later...
Sony PlayStation 4 In 18 Months

Sony PlayStation 4 In 18 Months

By Tony Ibrahim | Monday | 05/09/2011

There’s little doubt Sony hasn’t begun planning its next generation PS4 console. But in a volatile gaming industry, the real question is when will the company be releasing it? Well, a source claims it is within arm’s reach.

BitMob has reported an anonymous source heard "PlayStation 4 in 18 months" at a "high level meeting" at Sony.

Reporter Rus McLaughlin broke the story and believes his source is credible, but questions whether it would be the best move for Sony since its PlayStation 3 console is hitting its stride.

Also, Sony claim their consoles have a ten year lifecycle, and the PlayStation 3 has only been out for half of that.

The truth is the PlayStation 3 is peaking with the support of a great gaming ecosystem and the vast dissipation of HD entertainment technology. It's never been more affordable to own a high end PS gaming console and it took the company all of five years to achieve that. Why would they want to replace it now, after their hard work is finally yielding noticeable dividends?

It's not all bad though, with the current PlayStation console proving financially taxing on the company. They could lay the PS2 to rest, substitute it with the PS3 in 18 months, and let the work horse ride out its final few years till retirement in the shadow of a cutting edge PS4 console.

I simply hope that the next gen console is backwards compatible right through, allowing avid PS3 fans to continue growing their gaming collection instead of starting from scratch: a move that hindered the PS3.

http://smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Console/H7P9M2J3

Microsoft Asks: “Do We Even Need to Build a Better Xbox?”

Apparently, big game producers are quite happy with the plateau console development has hit, and big names in the industry like Frank Gibeau, of EA said there’s not any kind of urgency for Microsoft or Sony to develop a new gaming system. His exact words were “It’s hard for me to conceive what you would do on a PlayStation 4,” according to our source. “The displays are already 1080p, you’re already connected to the Internet. … You could make it faster, you could have more polys and you could up the graphics a little bit … but at what cost?”

Gibeau refers specifically to the fact that thanks to add-ons like Microsoft’s Kinect or Sony’s Playstation Move, added to the frequent updates and almost photo-realistic graphics seen in some games, there’s not much a current generation console couldn’t do. This can be contrasted to the PC gaming current situation, though. Because the PC is an open platform, hardware development never stops and most high-end computers are already technically more powerful than current gen consoles, but there’s more to gaming than just pretty graphics. Granted, Crysis looks much better on PC’s than consoles, but then again, isn’t Crysis just your standard Sci-Fi FPS?

This generation of consoles has already had its share of classics, but we have to admit it took a while for developers to catch on, arguing that producing for the (at the time) next-gen consoles was just too expensive and not worth it. Now that pretty much everyone has caught on, is it worth it to go back to the previous situation just to have a new Call of Duty that looks slightly better?

And this takes us to our final point: there just haven’t been many new franchises this generation, and save a couple gems, we’re still playing the same games we played on our Playstation 2 and original Xbox, only with prettier graphics. Cranking the graphics up and releasing a new console before anything truly revolutionary comes along to warrant a new console is just gonna make games staler, and gamers will end up with just new sequels while indie developers will again be left out of the latest innovations being that the price would go up again.

Apparently, though, Microsoft, and Sony seem to understand this, and seem to be holding out for 2015 for their respective new systems (the 10 year life-span so many blogs talk about). In the meanwhile, Nintendo seems to be trying to catch up with their long-due Wii U which should make for some interesting competition.

How do our readers feel about the possibility of an eventual Xbox 720? Also, be sure to check the latest news on Counter-Strike and the Persona 4 Fighting Game.

http://xboxfreedom.com/microsoft-better-xbox/

Archived