The Android Thread

pArth

Why is that I'm not able to change music tracks with the button on my ear phone? It's the default Beats pair I got with my phone. Long press is dialling the last called number. Single/Double clicks do nothing. Annoying little things like these make me miss iOS! :mellow:

Is there anyway I can change settings somewhere to control music?(not so keen on using a third party app) I'm on JB 4.2.2 right now. Tips are much appreciated! Thanks.

I dont know but it is a ROM feature , my rooted S3 with novagen has it , what phone are you using ?

You mean Xperia SP?

Any more recommendations?

Following,

• SONY XPERIA L
  • SONY XPERIA SP
  • SAMSUNG Galaxy Grand
  • Google Nexus4 (bit beyond but the best option)

It's the default Beats pair I got with my phone. Long press is dialling the last called number. Single/Double clicks do nothing. Annoying little things like these make me miss iOS! :mellow:

I dont know but it is a ROM feature , my rooted S3 with novagen has it , what phone are you using ?

Beats = hTC.

Edited by ALPHA17
  • Like 1

Manual mode is the way to go, if you want to back up applications (and associated data) Titanium Pro backup or Carbon-Helium by Clockwork MOD team are the applications to look at.

No clue although there should be a way. Let the more experienced masters guide you.

Yes.

No, you just need common sense.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

thanks . .

the phone is a real steal at this price of $200.

I've been using a Chromecast for a few weeks now, and here are my thoughts and pics: :fear:

Pics:

1qD1tWy.pngpOloHpm.png

The image on the left is the Netflix Interface after I clicked on the button at the bottom right, and selected my Chromecast.

The image on the right is the lockscreen interface. When playing something on the Chromecast, pressing the Power button shows this interface instead of the lockscreen. Too bad it doesn't give any options for going to the app, or forward/rewind scrubbing.

T7oBJfD.png

This is the first screen of the Chromecast app. IIRC, clicking on the available Chromecast takes you to the settings page for that Chromecast, as shown below:

QHYc8yn.jpg

UuGlYxB.png

These are the Chromecast option in the Notification dropdown menu.

6aimZj9.jpg?1

The Chromecast was very easy to set up, and I think I had it up and running in just a couple of minutes. I have the Chromecast plugged into my Receiver, and it's power comes from a USB cable connected to the TV. The Chromecast downloaded and updated itself the first time I restarted it.

The Chromecast app is available on the Play Store, and once you open the app it scans for available Chromecast devices on the current Wireless network. The app is very minimal (see pic above) with a links to download the Netflix/YouTube apps. Clicking on any available Chromecast gives you a few options to change its Name/WiFi network/Time Zone. That's about it. The apps settings show nothing but some Terms & Conditions and Privacy policies blah blah. :scratchchin:

I've used the Chromecast to watch YouTube videos and Netflix shows/movies. It's just very simple. You open the Netflix/YouTube app on your phone and play the video that you would like to watch. Then click on the 'Chromecast' button in the app's interface, and the video starts playing on the Chromecast in a few moments. The Chromecast streams the video directly from the server, so it takes a second or two to start up (especially Netflix). :good: This also means that you won't drain your phone's battery, and it won't get interrupted if you get a call while watching something.

The best (or to me the most useful) feature is the Tab casting. You just have to install a Chromecast plugin for the Chrome browser, and you are good to go. Click on the plugin icon in your browser, select the Chromecast that you want to cast to, and the Chrome tab gets mirrored onto the Chromecast. The mirroring works ok. I noticed that the text and everything was very hazy for a few seconds after starting the casting, but it clears up after a few seconds. I haven't noticed it more recently, so either I haven't paid attention, or they fixed it with an update.

I used the tab-casting to watch many football (soccer) games, and the streaming worked fine. There was maybe a 0.5 second lag between what appears on my Mac, and what appears on the Chromecast/TV. :unsure: The lag is not a big deal for streaming sports/video, and I enjoyed watching them on the big screen. My laptop gets really warm when I'm chromecasting videos, but I'm not sure if that's just because of the Flash videos or because of the streaming.

I hope they more apps support Chromecast soon, and also that Google improves the Tab casting feature (it's still in Beta). It'd be nice to have a few more options on the Lockscreen interface, and if the Chromecast had an interface of its own which you could go front/back using direction keys or something. Also, a Firefox add-on would be convenient :ack:

All in all, the Chromecast is great. For me, I think it's totally worth the $35. I have Netflix on my PS3 and Xbox, but the simplicity of just changing the receiver input and clicking a button on the phone makes the Chromecast very useful to me. Also, like I said earlier, the tab streaming is awesome. :first:

Edited by Somebody

^^ yeah, chromecast is pretty great. I am personally using Odroid U2 with xbmc and cheapcast running at boot and I also use tasker and autoremote to share everything else so I get the best of all worlds :P

^^ yeah, chromecast is pretty great. I am personally using Odroid U2 with xbmc and cheapcast running at boot and I also use tasker and autoremote to share everything else so I get the best of all worlds :P

:scratchchin: Share everything else using Autoremote? how does that work? I'm using Raspbmc for playing local files, and Chromecast for mirroring/Netflix/YouTube.

Also, isn't Cheapcast broken now? :scratchchin:

tasker tasker tasker, i am going to add two more lines in your new custom title :P

:giggle: Just change it to "Controlled by my better half aka Tasker" :P

:scratchchin: Share everything else using Autoremote? how does that work? I'm using Raspbmc for playing local files, and Chromecast for mirroring/Netflix/YouTube.

Also, isn't Cheapcast broken now? :scratchchin:

Auto remote allows to share urls or send commands and I setup tasks in tasker to take action on those. e.g. cheapcast cant do tab casting yet. I use tasker and autoremote to send urls to odroid and tasker then takes appropriate action on url. cheapcast works for me. The thing that's broken is that it doesn't work on ethernet, only on wifi. I'm using a self-compiled version patched to work with ethernet (I use a ethernet to wifi adapter for odroid. The usb wifi adapter sucks on bw).

BTW, I also use leapcast on my PCs. With leapcast and autoremote chrome extension, i can send content from phone to PC as well :P. I also send all my notifications, calls, messages etc to my PC using auto remote.

• Like 1