Paypal

@ Saint,

If you are salaried, Get CC of Bank in which your salary account is. They will Remove yearly fees for sure.

For me, I have HDFC CC, and I am pretty much happy with.

One thing to remember is only spend amount that you can pay in time. Almost all banks have revolving credit facility now a days for CCs. Mean if you spend 10K, minimum you will have to pay some 500 buck for current bill cycle. So If you pay 500 bucks, rest 9500 will attract interest (That interest again will be varied from bank to bank, but generally it's approx 3.5 monthly and 33 yearly)

So these kinds of situations will introduce late charges, interest, and other charges in your CC bill.

From my experience, start will 25-50K limit gold card from HDFC/SBI. Then later on increase limit once your salary gets increased.

As for importing stuff, paypal is best way. And currency transaction charges (very nominal imo) will be applied once your perform international transactions. Those charges will once again be changing as per INR/USD rates(or any other currency). I have used HDFC CC only for US transactions, and I am pretty much happy with it.

Easy linkup with Paypal. VCC Facility. And very nominal currency transaction charges.

I have heard that Standard Charted Manhattan Cards are also good. Have a look to those also.

^ repped for the informative post, thanks for taking the time for replying to my query and thanks to killzone123 as well, repped both !!

well i thought you were talking about which card to attach to paypal...now i realize you meant taking a new card :P

Patthariya has really given a very informative post...and just remember always use credit cards when you have the money in your pocket,so that you repay it next month as soon as your bill comes..people have a tendency to go on spending and thinking that slowly they will repay,and in the end you land up in a debt trap...

i use cards only for convenience or at places where only cards are the option (online) ...

citibank,hdfc are quite popular in credit card...even icici...many people complain about icici,but i have been using it for quite a long time ,no issues ...

if you plan to use it for filling petrol etc,make sure that there is no surcharge,many cards waive it and many dont..

and lastly almost everyone gives it for free,dont go for cards if they charge you annual fees...

• 1 month later...

i use cards only for convenience or at places where only cards are the option (online) ...

Not related to Paypal, just a thought. Ever since I've come here, it's card for this card for that card for everything :( I don't like using cards at all. But that's the norm here. No wonder folks are heavily in debt and in trouble each time there's a recession :P

I still maintain a detailed set of accounts (with sources) for every single day's spending though so for me this whole card vs cash usage is irrelevant. Carrying too much cash can get u robbed here in some cities :P

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody with paypal willing to help? Need to order 1-2 3ds games from ebay

Will pay in advance so your money is safe :P

:cheers:

u already bought them on ebay?

i can help give me the links of the games. but what about shipping?

Anybody here having the expertise or who has been making payments via paypal kindly PM me...its urgent !

what exactly you want to do? making payment is very easy except u can't make personla/gift payments using indian credit cards. It has to be a purchase of goods or services. that means the recipient has to have a merchant account and needs to send u an invoice. rest, u can pay for any website/merchant site/eshopping site/ebay etc with indian paypal..

• 8 months later...

I am loving Paypal atm.

But there is one issue i think is cropping up although it is very minute. Earlier i was being deducted a less amount for not using the Paypal's Conversion service i.e. using my VISA conversion service directly. But from a last few transactions i am observing that i am being deducted the same amount as the money which Paypal shows in INR after converting even though i select not to convert the money and bill me in original amount.

Any idea what is happening?

I am loving Paypal atm.

But there is one issue i think is cropping up although it is very minute. Earlier i was being deducted a less amount for not using the Paypal's Conversion service i.e. using my VISA conversion service directly. But from a last few transactions i am observing that i am being deducted the same amount as the money which Paypal shows in INR after converting even though i select not to convert the money and bill me in original amount.

Any idea what is happening?

You mean, Paypal automatically converting USD to INR (and vice-versa) and charging you extra?

All online money providers such as Paypal, Moneybookers, LR, etc; charge additional amount (to adjust fee) if there is any change in conversation rate in 24 hours.

+ 2.9% fee PLUS 2.5% to convert the currency.

PS: If you're having VISA cc, why are you using Paypal?

You mean, Paypal automatically converting USD to INR (and vice-versa) and charging you extra?

All online money providers such as Paypal, Moneybookers, LR, etc; charge additional amount (to adjust fee) if there is any change in conversation rate in 24 hours.

I am charged in one go. Yea i think you got my point that Paypal is automatically converting the USD to INR.

For example -

If i click the option to use Paypal's Forex conversion rather than VISA one i am shown a total in INR which in yesterday's transaction was INR 1981 [showed by Paypal if i clicked to use their conversion]

But i chose to use VISA forex conversion as it saves like 100-200 bucks. But to my surprise for the last two transactions i am being billed the same amount shown by Paypal's conversion although i choose to use VISA conversion process.

@Joe - I use paypal as it is very convenient to use it. Also, helps me keep track of my purchases more neatly and it is easy to use incase there is some fraud.

Anyone ever used Paypal for business? Like, I am an artist, and do commissions and all that. I remember Paypal takes a fee when u recieve money. Any idea how much it is? Do you let your customer pay that amount or you do it yourself?

I am charged in one go. Yea i think you got my point that Paypal is automatically converting the USD to INR.

For example -

If i click the option to use Paypal's Forex conversion rather than VISA one i am shown a total in INR which in yesterday's transaction was INR 1981 [showed by Paypal if i clicked to use their conversion]

But i chose to use VISA forex conversion as it saves like 100-200 bucks. But to my surprise for the last two transactions i am being billed the same amount shown by Paypal's conversion although i choose to use VISA conversion process.

@Joe - I use paypal as it is very convenient to use it. Also, helps me keep track of my purchases more neatly and it is easy to use incase there is some fraud.

I'm afraid, I cannot help you further..I stopped using Paypal 2 years ago..(There was only manual conversion and I never used it..Always paid using USD and next day Paypal charged 45-55 INR to clear exchange rate.)

Paypal used to be good..but now it's meh! I'm better off with VISA/Master card.

(personal choice).

You can always call them and solve your problem. They are pretty quick and helpful.

Good luck.

____

Anyone ever used Paypal for business? Like, I am an artist, and do commissions and all that. I remember Paypal takes a fee when u recieve money. Any idea how much it is? Do you let your customer pay that amount or you do it yourself?

I used for 10-12 months before my account was locked permanently and lost $400.New policy and they didn't give me any notification to solve it before shutting my account.

Yes, Paypal takes fee..around 2.9% for business/merchants.

You can calculate here: http://thefeecalculator.com/

Rest 3.9% + $0.30

To receive a commercial international payment, sellers just need to pay a small transaction fee of 3.9% on the total sale amount plus a fixed fee of US$0.30 per transaction.

Always receiver covers the fee when you're getting paid from any company.

If you're getting from any individual, it depends on you and sender.

when you pay by paypal, theres an option where you can either choose to use paypal's currency conversion process and be billed in INR, or let your bank decide conversion charge and get charged in original currency, i always choose original currency because i got master card and master card does not charge anything for currency conversion :) [unlike visa, where they rape you]

i use ALWAYS prefer paypal because if theres any problem in the transaction like item or received, not match the description etc, paypal helps you and gets your money back.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I want to create a Donate button. I searched google for how to create one and accordingly went to Merchant Services> Website Payment Standards> Payment Buttons. I am getting 3 options: Buy Now, Add to Cart and Subscribe. There is no Donate button. Any idea how I can do this?

Archived