Complete STEAM guide - Announcements | Badges | Market | Trading | Cheap Games | Wallet and MORE

Heaven Angel

Note: Do not post any deals here. This is discussion thread.

(You can talk about price and other Steam features here).

__

iPXiJlLlAvvAo.png

Steam is a digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform developed by Valve Corporation. It is used to distribute games and related media online, from small independent developers to larger software houses. Steam provides the user with installation and automatic management of software across multiple computers, community features such as friends lists and groups, cloud saving, and in-game voice and chat functionality.

it5YGmgkVH1tH.png

Well, if you're legit PC gamer then STEAM is a must have application. Since all games are Steamworks title, you'll need Steam to play games. Not to say it's awesome and ultimate entertainment platform. Play, connect, share, create, have fun.

iBcsg9fWuZn1u.png

System Requirements

Windows XP, Vista, or 7
512 MB RAM
1 Ghz or faster processor

Intel Mac, OS X version Leopard 10.5.8, Snow Leopard 10.6.3, or later.

Two-button mouse strongly recommended
1GB HD space (recommended)
Internet connection (broadband recommended)

ibovprLquwmTd8.png

Steam has iOS and Androind version. You can get it from iTunes or Google Play. You can participate in the Steam community wherever you go. Chat with your Steam friends, browse community groups and user profiles, read the latest gaming news and stay up to date on unbeatable Steam sales.

ibhhxjAHpXN4mF.png

The Steam Workshop is a central hub of player-created content and tools to publish, organize, and download that content into your games. In short, it's modding you games for more fun.

At present 47 games have official workshop database.

iboBbUlcwmAwzZ.png

Help pick new games for Steam. Steam Greenlight is a system that enlists the community's help in picking some of the new games to be released on Steam. Head over to Greenlight section and start up-voting games you want to see on Steam.

ibxsAqZR3Ry0wX.png

Steam Wallet is steam digital purse. This allows you to add your funds to steam and purchase anything later or from market. You can also buy steam wallet codes online or from store and redeem it. This gives users an opportunity to buy games and stuff without having credit/debit card.

If you have any questions or doubt, check Steam Wallet page.

iAcgl8Hlv3TN3.png

Name explains it all. Market allows you to buy and sell your items, cards, backgrounds, etc with other community members.

Note: Valve cuts 5% fee and 10% fee goes to publisher.

ibuFbETdh61bFB.png

Who said PC users cannot relax and play? With Steam Big Picture mode, you can sit on your couch, relax and play with your controller. You can even access Steam, chat with your controller.

Steam's new mode that lets gamers access all of their favorite Steam games on a television. With the press of a button, Steam displays a new full-screen user interface optimized for readability and interaction on TV. Big Picture has been designed to be used with a traditional game controller, while also fully supporting keyboard and mouse input.

To access Big Picture mode, open Steam and click on Big Picture Mode on top right.

izAZLCRUMjVDQ.png

Currently 142 games has full controller support.

ilXT6EUniBbZT.png

Valve added this cool feature a month ago. Steam Trading Cards are virtual cards earned by playing games on Steam. Sets of cards can be turned into game badges and tradable Steam community items.

I WANT CARDS! TELL ME HOW TO GET?

Ha ha! Well, it's very simple. Play any of the participating Trading Card games you own to get trading cards. To check what game you have which drops card, go to your profile and click on badges.

You will see list of games which has trading cards.

jFfElJHPHi95T.png

You can also visit via browser.

Note: Only half the cards will drop, rest have you have to use your own power.
For example: The Elder Scrolls V: SKYRIM has 8 trading cards but you'll get only 4 cards by playing. The other 4 you have to either buy from market or trade.

If you don't want to any of this trading card stuff, you can simply sell your cards on market and make money. This money is stored on your Steam wallet.

Pile of cents make a dollar. Sell while it's hot.

Currently: 162 games has trading cards.

IVG thread for Steam Trading Cards

io25fw2DrbuuS.png

Congrats. You have successfully collected all cards by playing/trading/buying and want cool badge to show-off, then read below.

Head over to Profile - > Badges.

There you can find your game with all cards in it along with BIG READY button.Just click on it and you'll receive:

100 XP
1 common/uncommon/rare random game based background
1 Emoticons
and sometimes discount coupon.

For every 10 levels, you get profile showcase which allows you to show off various items.

Note: Badge and rewards are virtual.

iUzQt1dyRh89F.png

So you want to personalize your profile with some cool background and show showcase?

ibkFFvaI241euG.jpg
(It's rare SKYRIM summer background and 2 showcase on profile)

Head over to profile section and click edit profile.

jBo8KmNvciu24.png

Profile Background - If you have any background in your inventory, select it.
Featured badge - This is something which is featured on your profile.
Showcase - This is something featured on your profile page. You can select any from the list.

It's very simply, clean and beautiful.

Note: You don't have to craft badges to get backgrounds or emoticons. If you want funds, you can directly buy from Steam Market.

iziqvxNbhZ2i1.png

Profile level is earned via crafting. Each badge gives your 100 XP.

Note: All these stuffs are cosmetic and for show-off purpose. This doesn't do any change in/to games.

ibmosiz36wSeWB.png

This is simple and I believe every kid knows how to buy games from Steam.

Regarding payment mode: Steam gives you various options to pay.

ieEsnACYCmXya.png

You can also use your debit card to buy games.

ib1hCzXYCHTVw.png

I see you're smart and don't want to pay full price on Steam. Good, look below for various options.

You really don't have to pay full price for any game on Steam. Steam store is just for business and stuff.

These are the sites I recommend you to look before buying anything from Steam.

GreenManGaming
Gamersgate
Gamestop
Amazon
Get Games
Gamefly
DLGamer
GameTap

Regional sites:

Nuuvem
YuPlay

These sites usually give 20-25% discount for pre-order games. Mainly GMG gives weekly discount coupons.

Nuuvem is Brazilian site and has lot of games and sale with very good pricing.
YuPlay is Russian site. You know Russian pricing. Do check region restriction before buying.

isWm8OKSSFKrd.png

Steam trading/gifting feature allows you to buy games for TF2/DOTA 2 items or for low price.

To get started, head over to Steam Trades.

This site is filled with lot of members across the globe. You must thinking, why should I trade when I can buy directly?

Thing is, you can get games for lot cheap via trading than buying from Store.

I'll give you nice example:

Saints Row IV (ROW) for 20 keys

Keys mean - Team Fortress 2/DOTA 2 keys. These are priced around $2/each on market. But, you can also get keys from forum and TF2outpost for low price.

Currently you can find keys for $1.60-1.70. So 20 keys will be $32-34 USD. See? You saved yourself $16-18 bucks by not purchasing from Steam store.

Trading games is usually very cheap during sale due to regional pricing. If you're looking for some game for low price, head over to Steam trading or Reddit gameswap and make a post.

[H] Money/TF2 keys [W] Game name.

Wait for reply, wait for best response and price, check the seller's profile. If it's good and has enough rep, go ahead and trade. If he has bad rep, DO NOT TRADE.

I'll give another price example:

Splinter Cell Blacklist - 24.53 USD
PAYDAY 2 - 15.32 USD
ROME II - 30.67 USD

WTF right? These are the prices for Russians. So in-order to take advantage,you have to do some homework and find yourself nice friendly Russian. Add, talk, discuss, deal.

ityBP6JKkL9fY.png

This section is for making yourself smart with add-ons.

Recommended add-ons:

Enhanced Steam - Must for all Steam users.
SteamDB Userscript - Pretty much same as Enhanced Steam. Install either one.

List of useful sites:

SteamPrices - To check prices of other region.
IsThereAnyDeal - To check if there is any deal on games.
TF2 Portal - Your TF2 guide.

TF2outpost - For trading and stuff.
Steamunpowered - To keep up with sales and price.
Steam Calculator - Get disappointed in your life.
SteamCompletionist - Beat your games.
WastedonSteam - Check amount of time you've wasted on Steam games.
Achievement Hunter - Name explains it all.
Achievement Stats profile - Check your achievements total/remaining, etc.
Steam Trading - Trading games for currency/items
Reddit Game Swap - Trading games for currency/items
Traders Guild - Trading games for currency/items
Free2Play Steam games - Name explains it all.
Giveaways and Betas - Keep up with all betas and giveaways around web.
Steam Skins - All list of cool skins for your Steam application.
Steam Trading Cards Group - Official Trading card group.
Steam Downtime Announcements - Name explains. You can subscribe to official thread.

Indie/Bundle sites:

Humble Bundle
Bundle Stars
Indie Royale
Indie Gala
Groupees Be Mine
Groupees Build a Bundle
Indie Game Music Bundle
Little Big Bunch
5 for $5 Bundle
Indie Underdog Pack
Indie Buskers
Bundle in a Box
Recession Bundle
Reddit GameDev Bundle
GreenLight Bundle
Indie Game Stand

All links here: http://www.indiegamebundles.com/complete-bundle-list/

Currently Available Bundles

Steam Deals IVG thread

If you have any cool site to share, please post below.

isPVS94B3RaGg.png

FREE GAMES? Yep! Totally free.

If you have Steam account with games (worth $100) and want to take part in free give-aways, head over to Steam Gifts.

This site is maintained by generous users.

How to get free games:

Go to Steam Gifts
Login
That's it. You'll see front page. Click on any game you want to enter.
(You get 300 points daily which you can spend by entering giveaways.)

Note: This doesn't give you games directly. This is like lucky draw.
Some might think waste of time, but for me it's something cool.

eC02JIz.png

To double your changes of winning, start joining Steam giveaways groups.

Note: Don't be a leach always. Try to giveaway something whenever you can.

These add-ons are recommended.

iLhMyys3ykfLT.png

IVG Tournaments - Not much activity, but you can always stand up, host yourself DOTA2 or any game and play with IVG member.
Indian gamers gang - New group made my fellow IVG member Eddy. You can find friends to play with.

I'm not going to post any user IDs without their permission. If you want to share you ID, add it to your IVG profile or post below.

iCT019pxKpiUq.png

From where can I download Steam?

You can download directly from Steam store or click below:

ixbv4acLUkArP.png
Also available for Mac, and Linux.

I've installed Steam, now what should I do?

First, you need to create your account. It's completely free and less less than 5 minutes.
When done, login and complete your profile.

iblR5wI0BSQGzU.jpg

You will see 4 tabs in your Steam client.

• Store - Here you can purchase games.
  • Library - Here your purchased games are listed.
  • Community - This is Steam community. Each game has own community and groups.
  • Your name - This is for you to check recent friends activity, your profile, inventory, badges, etc.

Do I need internet connection for Steam?

Yes, you need internet connection to login to Steam. However you can enable offline mode anytime you want.

How do I run Steam in offline mode?

Please read: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555

I have laptop and PC. So can I use Steam on both?

Yes, you can use your Steam account anywhere. PC/Laptop/TV/Mobile.

How to I add friends?

Click on view friends list - > Add friend. If you're not able to add friend (due to empty account), ask your friend to add you.

Steam is not working, what should I do?

Delete ClientRegistry.blob from Steam folder and restart Steam. Still not working? Delete everything except steamapps folder and re-install steam.

I don't want to pay so much on Steam when I can get retail copies are cheap. So, can I add retail games to steam?

Yes, you can add your retail games to steam by redeeming your key. However there are few exceptions like EA and Ubisoft games.

To check complete list, visit: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

To check 2013 Powered by STEAMworks games, visit: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1712878

I want to know more about Trading Cards.

Please visit Trading card section.

Having problem related to Steam service?

Head over to support section and fill details regarding your problem.

If you have any question or doubt, please post in topic.

iVsH4PPPPnET1.png

Thank you Gabe and entire Valve team for making Steam.

Steam - For all basic information

Images - From my Steam profile.
Content - From my experience and internet.
Buttons - Made via Photoshop.
Font used - Fixedsys

Time used - No idea..I was bored. So I thought why not make a simple guide.

I hope you liked my simple guide.

I'll update guide whenever it's necessary.

Note: This thread is NOT for posting Steam deals. If you want to share deals, please visit Steam Deals page.

If you have any questions, feel free to post below.
Thank you!

Still updating this post, hence no buttons.

Basics: How to redeem Steam key

35bcup5.jpg

4sb3lw.jpg

14t1mps.jpg

33jmlwx.jpg

214ch3m.jpg

2mozcbk.jpg

2ainhh0.jpg

__

Steam update allows background downloading while playing a game

A new Steam update will allow users to download software while playing a game. This means in-progress downloads will no longer pause when a game is launched in the Steam client, though this functionality can be toggled on a case-by-case basis if your internet connection isn't up to scratch.

The update will also allow users to set times for automatic updates. Full update notes are below:

General

• Add ability to limit what time of day Steam is allowed to automatically update apps
  • Add option to let other games download while a game is running (this is a per-game setting)
  • Add download regions for Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Ottawa in Canada
  • Add 'Copy all text to clipboard' context menu option in the System Information dialog.

Steam client UI

• Improve downloading status text at the bottom of the main window
  • Big Picture
  • Added ability to opt into game betas and edit launch options
  • Added Inbox item under Linux if your machine requires a reboot due to OS level updates
  • Fix infinite loop of Cloud sync error dialogs on game launch
  • Fixed mouse cursor being visible during startup animation even if it hadn't moved

Linux

• Fix paste pasting stale text.
  • Fix Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V in client-hosted web page text controls.
  • Fix incorrect foregrounding of a blank window in some -silent startup cases.

(Credits: Alpha17)

Debit card that work on steam
Working CC/DC cards:

HDFC debit cards
HDFC netsafe prepaid cards
Tamilnad mercantile bank
Indian overseas bank
ICICI international debit card

ICICI Mastercard / VISA
Axis bank international debit card

SBI gold and more

PNB Global

Not-Working Cards
HDFC platinum/classic visa cards
SBI maestro cardssyndicate bank
Punjab national bank
Union bank visa debit card
PNB maestro
State bank visa card

Feel free to correct by adding what cards working and not-working.

Was waiting for a dedicated Steam thread like this. GAF threads are pretty cool at this. Now finally Joe made one here. Ace work.

EDIT - Any Steam related thread is incomplete without this -

ib1Q1BnAlesLaa.png

812.jpg

:P

Thanks everybody.

Personally I would like to know more about getting keys and buying from different regions.. Will search sometime.

I'll cover that tomorrow in detail.

Not sure if you are seriously asking this.

As a forum rule only original content is put as a STICKY.

Secondly, cut him some slack he is new. Although really active, shunting threads, relocating posts, such matters are best left to the more experienced players.

Also STICKY content needs to be properly catalogued and back-links should be mentioned at the end along with any appropriate credits. Even inclusive of sites like 'Wiki'.

P.S. -- In my opinion this is worth a STICKY, ASAP. Piper expedite my demands for a custom title please. =P

Weekend Deal 1 - Darksiders Franchise 80%off

Weekend Deal 2 is 70% off the Command & Conquer franchise.

Daily Deal: Everything Puppygames 75% off

Don't understand why darksiders 2 still cost 10$.

yaha pe kyu post kiya joe cool bhaiya ne kaha na this is for trades and keys and all ke liye :P

Archived