The Laptop/Notebook thread.

khanak

She offered me 5% corporate discount for Dell XPS 15 i5 for 6 cell battery version.

Can you please share on what basis corporate discount was offered?

EDIT -

Anyone got any idea about current price of Dell's 3-yr warranty (normal/complete cover)? And if I can bargain a bit on overall cost :P

It turns out that I might have to buy a laptop when I'm least interested in buying one. Damn!

Edited by mixke

Did you buy it in 2010? XPS should have it in its headphone jack. Can you please check? Really need to know this.

got it in 2008 , but really not sure what exactly you are looking for.

If it's HDMI yes it's there , you can pass audio aswell through it.

If it's an analog 5.1 out you ask , no it's not there , just two ports for headphone out and one line in.

If it's a Toslink out you ask , no laptop has that , buy a creative usb sound card for that.

:)

Edited by kunallkw

got it in 2008 , but really not sure what exactly you are looking for.

Alright, I'll Google it for you and will update.

If it's HDMI yes it's there , you can pass audio aswell through it.

If it's an analog 5.1 out you ask , no it's not there , just two ports for headphone out and one line in.

If it's a Toslink out you ask , no laptop has that , buy a creative usb sound card for that.

:)

Headphone out is used for it if I'm not wrong. And it is used for sending digital 5.1 (passthrough) - same thing for which you're recommending Creative's USB Sound card (I need only for passthrough purpose). Difference being coaxial cable might be used in place of Toslink.

MBP has it! And XPS should also have it IMO.

Edited by mixke

EDIT -

Anyone got any idea about current price of Dell's 3-yr warranty (normal/complete cover)? And if I can bargain a bit on overall cost :P

It turns out that I might have to buy a laptop when I'm least interested in buying one. Damn!

The 3 yr complete cover depends on the laptop .. anything from 8k onwards...

Of course you can bargain..

• Like 1

Alright, I'll Google it for you and will update.

Headphone out is used for it if I'm not wrong. And it is used for sending digital 5.1 (passthrough) - same thing for which you're recommending Creative's USB Sound card (I need only for passthrough purpose). Difference being coaxial cable might be used in place of Toslink.

laptops with coaxial out is some news , post a link please :)

how can 2 headphone outs sending the same signal be used for 5.1 ? if the sarcasm wasn't clear for an analog 5.1 3.5mm output, 3 ports are required while the XPS has only 2 . Do you google work first buddy :(

MBP has it! And XPS should also have it IMO.

:lol:

how can 2 headphone outs sending the same signal be used for 5.1 ? if the sarcasm wasn't clear for an analog 5.1 3.5mm output, 3 ports are required while the XPS has only 2 . Do you google work first buddy :(

Okay it could be possible that I'm not very clear. But are you saying one cannot passthrough digital 5.1 signal from laptop through S/PDIF? Then sorry but you're wrong. I've had done enough work on digital 5.1 thing. It's just that either I'm not able to convey myself properly, which I feel is the case, or this is something completely new to you.

Anyways, let me find some links. Then maybe someone with XPS can check :)

The 3 yr complete cover depends on the laptop .. anything from 8k onwards...

Of course you can bargain..

Edited by mixke

Okay it could be possible that I'm not very clear. But are you saying one cannot passthrough digital 5.1 signal from laptop through S/PDIF? Than sorry but you're wrong. I've had done enough work on digital 5.1 thing. It's just that either I'm not able to convey myself properly, which I feel is the case, or this is something completely new to you.

Anyways, let me find some links. Then maybe someone with XPS can check :)

take your time :D

Corporate discount is given to employees of any company, just give them a scan copy of company employee card- ID Card issued by the company. And you are set. Give the ID card of some one known, preferably of the person on whose name the Invoice is to be made. DELL doesnt verify the identity of the person. :puspa:

Current Students of IIT , NIIT are also eligible for 5 % discount. Give them the copy of ID Card.

• Like 1

Corporate discount is given to employees of any company, just give them a scan copy of company employee card- ID Card issued by the company. And you are set. Give the ID card of some one known, preferably of the person on whose name the Invoice is to be made. DELL doesnt verify the identity of the person. :puspa:

Current Students of IIT , NIIT are also eligible for 5 % discount. Give them the copy of ID Card.

Thanks! Useful information. I could give them copy of my ID card and save some money. Thanks again :)

take your time :D

Only if you could have checked sound properties when I mentioned or tried a little to understand, you could have helped :)

Anyways, yours is of 2008. Even if yours has it, don't know if the ones available now have it or not. And don't know why you laughed when I said MBP has it and XPS should have it IMO. I talked about only the concerned feature.

Some links, hope it helps someone -

As I said earlier, it's normal 3.5mm jack having ability to passthrough signal when enabled. A particular cable is required for this. You will have to go through discussions to see what people are talking about. Sadly, there is no one thread which will give you all the possible information.

So now if anyone with Inspiron/XPS could check if they have Digital Output for sound (not HDMI), it would be great.

i think you should google for Michael Dell's email address too , maybe he can help you with this , on another note did you bother going through the links your self ? and you claim to be a know it all about audio . Suit yourself buddy :console:

If you don't know what he is talking about, don't presume he is talking crap. He's actually right, but not able to convey himself properly, and you're just being an a**hole.

Nearly all laptops come with either 3 audio line out's, one for mic, one for headphone, and one digital SPDIF out. Like the ASUS one I have currently.

OR

They come with 2 ports, like the current Dell XPS laptops, one headphone out ALSO WITH SPDIF line out support, and one for mic.

And many times, you can pass 5.1 or 7.1 audio, depending on the laptop digitally, through SPDIF. Many speaker systems also can receive 5.1 or 7.1 audio digitally through one cable at a time, instead of analog method using various cables.

xpslaptopwithspdif.png

See that picture above? It's taken from the XPS 15 tech specs, where it's clearly written : headphone out with SPDIF support.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15/pd?oc=dndogx4&model_id=xps-15&~ck=

@mixke : Most laptops should have what you are asking for, just look through specs, it's almost always mentioned. But usually it's coax SPDIF, using the 3.5mm port, not TOSLINK, cause TOSLINK requires a different port design which would be inconvenient for laptop makers, since it isn't popularly used. Good hunting!

Oh wait, actually the current XPS 15 looks like it has 3 ports. One separate for SPDIF. Either way, many laptops' headphone out also supports digital out, mostly SPDIF coax. Not TOSLINK, cause TOSLINK requires a different kind of port.

Edited by Superfrag

@Superfrag - Thanks dude! GLAD someone knows and understood. I checked the specs on Dell's site (India), but the sales guy I talked with said it's not available (I doubt it). And I was not able to reach Technical support team.

Specs read "Audio jacks (headphone with SPDIF support (2), 1 Mic-in)".

i think you should google for Michael Dell's email address too , maybe he can help you with this , on another note did you bother going through the links your self ? and you claim to be a know it all about audio . Suit yourself buddy :console:

Dude, you don't know a thing in the first place and you're not helping in any way by posting useless crap. Others are helping which I really appreciate. Heck, you even went ahead with sarcasm when you don't know a thing. If you can't help, don't post sh!t please :doh:

As for "know it all" about audio, I never claimed it. Period. But yes, I have done enough work/searching (for myself) on Dolby Digital Live setup which I could get with devices that I have.

am I the only one with Acer here ? :unsure:

Nopes, my friend has one :P

apparently it does work with a mini toslink to toslink converter , but not all laptops have that and certainly not the old ones with HDMI because when a laptop in olden times had both HDMI and SPDIF , the SPDIF did not get recognised and only HDMI could be used for Digital audio.

Having said that you'll any ways require a receiver to decode the digital signals , so why not just use a single HDMI cable to do it all in the first place. (my initial point)

edit : the new laptops seem to be using the same analog port to pass digital signals , nice !

wow another revelation the mic port once jacked in can be treated as rear speaker out and the 3 ports becomes a 6 channel direct.

i bet the manuals don't have sh*t about this feature.

Edited by kunallkw

apparently it does work with a mini toslink to toslink converter , but not all laptops have that and certainly not the old ones with HDMI because when a laptop in olden times had both HDMI and SPDIF , the SPDIF did not get recognised and only HDMI could be used for Digital audio.

Now we are talking :)

As per my understanding (through several forums where people were discussing these issues), you need to enable it from sound properties (or update/remove certain driver etc) and use proper cable. Otherwise, HDMI would be used.

I'm not sure but I guess your XPS should have also have it. It's not a new thing. In sound properties, if you can see two digital output options then I guess you have it. I don't have it my Studio 15 and so I only see Digital Output (HDMI). The links which I posted earlier should give some idea about this, or just play around with laptop and test.

Having said that you'll any ways require a receiver to decode the digital signals , so why not just use a single HDMI cable to do it all in the first place. (my initial point)

Right! a receiver/amp is required for decoding 5.1 digital signal. S/PDIF will act as passthrough. And this is what I intend to use it for :)

Using HDMI is neat way. Sadly, I cannot use it. I'll send the signal to amp which will process it, and send it wireless to headphones (I want to use only headphones in this setup).

Reason for all the hassle, sound quality is awesomely awesome!

edit : the new laptops seem to be using the same analog port to pass digital signals , nice !

wow another revelation the mic port once jacked in can be treated as rear speaker out and the 3 ports becomes a 6 channel direct.

i bet the manuals don't have sh*t about this feature.

Thanks, didn't know. For now, cannot think of any way to use it for me. Manuals ko chod yaar, even support guys here in India generally don't know much. Discussion forums help a lot!