Surround Sound Setup Guide and suggestions

playstation

Hey all,

guys,

I have been planning this for quite some time...that i need a complete surround sound setup to enjoy those superb games and movies in full surround sound...

I am pretty noob at this....Kinda i dont know what things exactly i would need to complete the experience.SO what things would i need beside ps3 or blu-ray player.

I believe speakers and amplifier i need, right??

what should be my budget to have one of the best 7.1/9.1 ch surround sound setup.?? I dont want to go for 5.1ch it feels very last gen now. :fear:

I Know there are lot of expensives ones...i dont think can go for bose and all..it is not a choice here they too expensive....sonodyne i like a lot atleast to whatever i have heard...but would need more advice on it...as my experience with it has been very limited.

Please advice.

I suggest hit up amitraj (that's his ID here). He recently bought a HT system and seems kinda knowledgeable about this stuff ;)

thanks.Yes i saw him getting the complete setup. Will ask him to advice here...beside him i have seen many others also very knowledgeable on these stuff....hope they share their knowledge with us.

Hey Playstation,

Nice thinking, a full bown HT is always a plus point in terms of Gaming and Watching Movie! :bigyellowgrin:

So lets list down some points before you dive in and may be I can help you out max till my knowledge:

1. Component/HTTIB

Component is a setup created with speakers and AV Reciever which can be of different companies. HTIB is simply home theatrwe in a box by a single company and gives you less option.

2. Setup: 5.1/7.1/9.1 ?

To be prcise 5.1 is not old fashion it all depends on your room size and the mooolah you can spend. Many people go for 7.1 setup but benifits is none dure to their room size. So for this to be choosed you need to help me with your HT room dimension.

3. Also Expensive may not be the best for your taste so you need to sit down and hear them out. Since you ca be a bass jukie or a classical guy. Lets note that down too.

4. Lastly would be great if you can tell what all you have in place with you like LCD, PS3 or blu ray player? Or you planning to upgrade any of same.

Kindly list your budget too! :bigyellowgrin:

Note: Most Important do you live in an Apartment or Row house as that may also be a issue as neighburs may not like boomy bass :bigyellowgrin: So need to conside that too while building your setup!

For my component setup i walked the middle line betwee Price and Quality and bought a Wharfedale Vardus & Onkyo AV Reciever. Wharfedale is a big brand but their Vardus line is less known as Diamond series rule the market.

And yeah feel free to ask any doubts, i will be happy to help you out till max of my knowledge as i have spent last 6 months reading about same.

^^first of thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge with us. repped.

now for the questions u asked...basically right now my only entertainment is pc...i will have ps3 also or blu-ray player...other than that i dont think i will have any other equipment/device.

and tbh there is not much money in my hand but i always have to go for things i want slowly...cant just buy it altogether ...but overall budget i guess is abt 30k max i guess.

also i live in a flat...and i want that setup for my room...tbh i can go quite loud also not just coz of neighbours but in my house also as lot of other members in house....kinda like at medium loud enough to rock my world... :scratchchin:

How much did you pay for your setup?

How much did you pay for your setup?

Hey,

My setup has been imported from Abu Dhabi UAE..... its very cheap there it costed me ~ INR 40K including shipping and customs and price dor system was INR 27K alone which is dirt cheap as per pricing in India.

Now lets take up your answers one by One and build your setup as per ur specs:

1. Budget INR 30K : Hope this does not include the PS3 :bigyellowgrin: ..... Also whats ur usage? Gaming+Movies+Music(Not Excessive) or Listening Music is your priority? This is important as a full blown system for Music listening is pretty costly as you need to hit low frequecvy and have a wide frequency range for prisitine music and beats reproduction.

2. Next as you said you dont wana go loud as per your constraints so lets lets give priority to a non boomy one. :hypocrite:

3. Next is what is your room dimension.......? a square or rectangular?

4. One advice that i can give you is if you wana go for a quality system and can afford to increase your budget step by step then will suggest you to go for a three fold approach as mentioned below:

a. First buy a A/V reciever and front bookshelf or tower speakers

b. Next go for a Subwoofer.

c. Lastly go for a surround speakers.

5. If this is not possible then will recomment you HTIB

If you could answer these may be I can recommend you some systems that i listed out in my past 6 Months research :bigyellowgrin:

2. Setup: 5.1/7.1/9.1 ?

To be prcise 5.1 is not old fashion it all depends on your room size and the mooolah you can spend. Many people go for 7.1 setup but benifits is none dure to their room size.

Wow... I've lost touch after moving to headphones. There is a 9.1 now? What sources output 9.1?

Wow... I've lost touch after moving to headphones. There is a 9.1 now? What sources output 9.1?

why don't we have a graph to notify this, graph man :chair:

though there are even 10.2 and 22.2, though the use for them at home is next to negligible

Yup there is people with big AV rooms use same....... :bigyellowgrin:

Check the below link on Specs on Pioneer 9.1 A/V reciever

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-57

why don't we have a graph to notify this, graph man :chair:

though there are even 10.2 and 22.2, though the use for them at home is next to negligible

When do we get to read that article you've been working on :P

Yup there is people with big AV rooms use same....... :bigyellowgrin:

Check the below link on Specs on Pioneer 9.1 A/V reciever

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-57

Nice... repping your earlier post :)

Hey,

My setup has been imported from Abu Dhabi UAE..... its very cheap there it costed me ~ INR 40K including shipping and customs and price dor system was INR 27K alone which is dirt cheap as per pricing in India.

Now lets take up your answers one by One and build your setup as per ur specs:

1. Budget INR 30K : Hope this does not include the PS3 :bigyellowgrin: ..... Also whats ur usage? Gaming+Movies+Music(Not Excessive) or Listening Music is your priority? This is important as a full blown system for Music listening is pretty costly as you need to hit low frequecvy and have a wide frequency range for prisitine music and beats reproduction.

2. Next as you said you dont wana go loud as per your constraints so lets lets give priority to a non boomy one. :hypocrite:

3. Next is what is your room dimension.......? a square or rectangular?

4. One advice that i can give you is if you wana go for a quality system and can afford to increase your budget step by step then will suggest you to go for a three fold approach as mentioned below:

a. First buy a A/V reciever and front bookshelf or tower speakers

b. Next go for a Subwoofer.

c. Lastly go for a surround speakers.

5. If this is not possible then will recomment you HTIB

If you could answer these may be I can recommend you some systems that i listed out in my past 6 Months research :bigyellowgrin:

I do love music a lot and would like to have something that does play my music as good as possible....having said that gaming and movies are also quite important for me....

My room IS square and i will give u exact mesaurements later but it about a normal average size...

I can stretch my budget if i go too slowly i guess....btw that day i went and looked for logitech speakers z5500's new replacement z906 i believe....the person told me its is for RS 20k...and i have heard z5500 it was awesome i believe even this would be good....will i need A/V receiver also ?? as i can directly connect the z906 i believe... :scratchchin:

If you are looking Logitech Z906 then you don't need a AMP :bigyellowgrin:

Also, Its 5.1......

Z906 is relatively new and have smaller size woofer then Z5500 recommend you to google a little more........

I owned Z500 bfr my current HT bu..... it will surely rock your room but and but the mid bass is not good and some time you need to strain hard to hear some dialogues whihc are like softly spoken in movie...... thats the biggest drawback, also its okie okie for music due to limited mid bass reproduction.....

One more thing seems you gonna use your PC for your entertainment that you can also use Edifier Signature S550 moel its awsome and have very nice mid bass reproduction that will cater your music buds nicely..... only drawback it does not have an optical input or hardware Digital Dolby or DTS decoding....... which can be catered with a nice soundcard..... Choice is yours what you wana pick...

Also if you can have a look at Onkyo entry level HTIB which costs arounf INR 32000/- and its come with dedicated A/V reciever.....

Now the choice is urs mate.........

Let me know if you beed any more info will be happy to help you out! :bigyellowgrin:

Heres the link for S550

http://www.edifier-international.com/products/edifier-multimedia/s550

these are really nice Speakers if Digital dolby or DTS decoding is not required from the speaker itself as done by Z550 then i will highly recomment these.........

I have a smaller version of this with me with 6 inch woofer and the sound clarity is amazing and that small woofer keeps my window glass shaking on 75% volume..... :bigyellowgrin:

amit,

the onkyo HT-S3400 is the one you are talking of right? have that at home.. its a brilliant entry level 5.1 (got it for 25k a couple of months ago from a dealer)

Yup thats the one....

Thanks Devilsown i forgot the Model number while writing my above post! :bigyellowgrin:

If you are looking Logitech Z906 then you don't need a AMP :bigyellowgrin:

Also, Its 5.1......

Z906 is relatively new and have smaller size woofer then Z5500 recommend you to google a little more........

I owned Z500 bfr my current HT bu..... it will surely rock your room but and but the mid bass is not good and some time you need to strain hard to hear some dialogues whihc are like softly spoken in movie...... thats the biggest drawback, also its okie okie for music due to limited mid bass reproduction.....

One more thing seems you gonna use your PC for your entertainment that you can also use Edifier Signature S550 moel its awsome and have very nice mid bass reproduction that will cater your music buds nicely..... only drawback it does not have an optical input or hardware Digital Dolby or DTS decoding....... which can be catered with a nice soundcard..... Choice is yours what you wana pick...

Also if you can have a look at Onkyo entry level HTIB which costs arounf INR 32000/- and its come with dedicated A/V reciever.....

Now the choice is urs mate.........

Let me know if you beed any more info will be happy to help you out! :bigyellowgrin:

Heres the link for S550

http://www.edifier-international.com/products/edifier-multimedia/s550

these are really nice Speakers if Digital dolby or DTS decoding is not required from the speaker itself as done by Z550 then i will highly recomment these.........

I have a smaller version of this with me with 6 inch woofer and the sound clarity is amazing and that small woofer keeps my window glass shaking on 75% volume..... :bigyellowgrin:

thanks a lot for the info..

Okay I have gone through it...and also checked out Edifier s550...looks good but i am not sure if there is any warranty service for it here ....bcoz i even checked the official website and it says kinda about India as the country we have no presence/distribution .....so it will be pretty risky idea....

btw i need first clear few things...why exactly i need a/v receiver??

thanks a lot for the info..

Okay I have gone through it...and also checked out Edifier s550...looks good but i am not sure if there is any warranty service for it here ....bcoz i even checked the official website and it says kinda about India as the country we have no presence/distribution .....so it will be pretty risky idea....

Edifier has a nice presence in India only thing its costlier then other products like Creative and Altec so its not available readily. But they are the best value for money speakers you can get, its my personal experience.........Here is the link for edifier India : http://www.edifier.co.in/

btw i need first clear few things...why exactly i need a/v receiver??

So for query of A/V reciever: its basically a unit that consolidates all your video inputs together and drives your passive speakers with a high power amplifier....... As most of front, centre and surround speakers are passive untill you go costly one with multi drivers.......Only exception is a subwoofer which are available as powered version readily! Also your PC sound card how nice it be will not be able to drive the passive speakers which are present in HTIB or Componet Systems. For more finer details you can google as this is a very extensive topic this is a badic difference whihc a non audiophile can understand without any techinical specs.... :bigyellowgrin:

Hope this answers your query on A/V reciever.

Archived