Conan Exiles

Engineer

Funcom has announced Conan Exiles, an open-world survival game set in the lands of Conan the Barbarian. It will launch for PC via Steam Early Access in summer 2016, with a full launch on PC and consoles to follow.
Here’s a description, via Funcom:
An open-world survival game in the brutal lands of Conan the Barbarian.
You are an exile, one of thousands cast out to fend for themselves in a barbaric wasteland swept by terrible sandstorms and besieged on every side by enemies. Here you must fight to survive, build and dominate.
Hungry, thirsty and alone, your very first battle is that against the harsh environment. Grow crops or hunt animals for food. Harvest resources to build weapons and tools. Build a shelter to survive. Ride across a vast world and explore alone, or band together with other players to build entire settlements and strongholds to withstand fierce invasions.
When strong enough, march forth into battle and wage war against your enemies as you fight to dominate the exiled lands. Sacrifice enemy players on the altars of the gods and shift the balance of power your way. Unleash your fury in savage, fast-paced combat and execute bloody and bone-crushing attacks that will see heads rolling and limbs flying.
Survive. Build. Dominate.
Play alone in single-player mode, or forge alliances and make enemies online on both public and private servers.
Will you dominate the exiled lands or will your enemies sacrifice you on the altar of their god?
Source: VG247

• 10 months later...

Conan Exiles is an open-world survival game set in the brutal lands of Conan the Barbarian. Play alone or on private and public multiplayer servers.

We just announced that Conan Exiles is coming to the Xbox One! PC Early Access starts on January 31st 2017 with Xbox One Game Preview hitting in Spring 2017.

Our goal is for Conan Exiles not to be an empty sandbox. Besides the survival and building stuff, we focus a lot on exploration and discovering the secrets and history of the world around you through lore and interesting locations.

Here you must survive anything from vicious monsters to ravaging sandstorms, and you must craft and build anything from tools and equipment to small homes and entire cities.

You can capture thralls, drag them back to your base, and break them on the Wheel of Pain and get them to work for you. You can sacrifice the beating hearts of your enemies on the altar of your deity, and summon their gigantic avatar to crush the settlements of your enemies.

A recent AMA that happened on 31Nov2016 (reddit). Here are some highlights that define the game (Q&A):

1. For launch we have the desert biome which has a ton of variety, from tropical oases to desert sand dunes to ruined cities to crystal springs and so on. There is a lot to explore. Conan Exiles is not just an empty sandbox; here you get to explore old ruins of civilizations past and learn about their story.
  2. (diff between Ark and Conan): Conan Exiles has a tighter focus on melee combat, a world that can be explored to find lore and stories, a religion system that allows access to magic and god avatars, a thrall system that allows you to enslave and turn your enemies into allies. Oh and no flying mounts, because those tend to make the world too small.
  3. In my experience of survival games, you spend hours / days building a base and then log in 48 hours later and everything has been destroyed / raided by the more active players on the server. Is Conan Exiles going to be the same way? You will have server options to avoid this. You can also use the thrall system to train a small army to defend your base while you are offline.
  4. Will there be an option for stealth? We take the realistic approach to stealth: don't be seen by your enemies!
  5. How does conquering territory work? When you build foundations you claim an area, and until your foundation is destroyed nobody can build within a radius of that area. So if your enemies want to claim your land, they need to destroy you first.
  6. Can i make a tribe of topless amazon women with all male slaves? Yes
  7. Considering the open world/no storyline style; what counter-measures will be taken to avoid the pitfalls that plague other games of this type? We are trying to give people the tools to deal with these situations. You can create your own server and set the options yourself, or you can search for a server that has the settings that suits you.
  8. How deep is the Conan lore in the game? Does it take anything directly from the movies? Our inspiration is primarily the books by Robert E. Howard. We have snake arrows directly from the movie and certain references such as the riddle of steel and the wheel of pain (which you put your thralls in).
  9. Yes, you can have your own server. We aim to support around 70 players for start of early access.
  10. Mounts? Yes, but after early access launch. We prefer chariots
  11. Conan is perhaps the greatest fantasy character of all time, and the world that Robert E. Howard created is incredibly rich in detail and lore. It's the perfect fit for a survival game. Yes -- you can punch a camel. Be prepared to run, though. Camels are hardcore.
  12. There won't be microtransactions nor a monthly subscription. Pricing will be announced later. For Xbox One, we're aiming for a Mature rating. Regarding mods, we'll talk about that at a later time. :)
  13. As you increase your favor with the gods you gain access to special powers, items, and weapons. For example, worshippers of Set will gain the ability to create snake arrows that they can fire at their enemies.
  14. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic has been mentioned as one of the influencers for its combat (amongst others), I really liked the options and fluidity that combat system offered, are we able to kick our opponents around and/or deal environmental damage if there's an object around (e.g. fire etc.)? We are aiming to have parts of that system. Melee combat is important in Conan Exiles and we're putting a lot of effort into making it exciting and savage. It is quite a challenge to make Dark Messiah-like combat work well on multiplayer servers.
  15. Darkness can be a significant challenge when night falls, and yes different creatures will spawn.
  16. There will not be any mounts at the start of early access launch. The primary difference between our mounts (when they come in) and Ark mounts is that we won't be using them as proxies for combat. We expect you to fight with your weapons face to face.

Steam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Building Village

Building blocks in Conan Exiles are divided into three tiers. We want to give players as much freedom as possible when it comes to building. You can create pretty much any type of structure you want as long as you have the resources. You can even build right up against mountains or near cliff faces in case you were always looking for that dream home leaning out over a precipice. Beds, tables, chair, tapestries, hunting trophies and a host of other decorative items can be used to give your homes a more personalized look. But we’re not ignoring the facades either. Banners, flags and awnings can be places on the outsides of your whatever you make. Your enemies will definitely know which territory is yours.

build_infograhic_EN.jpg

The brutal combat of Conan Exiles

Combat has a strong tactical element in Conan Exiles. Instead of flailing around, just attacking in rapid succession, it is instead wise to fight with measured swings or thrusts at opportune moments.

All main-hand and two-handed weapons have a quick light attack and a slower heavy attack. The trick is to know when to use which and what you stand to gain. Attempting a powerful heavy attack could leave you vulnerable for a short time, but it might be the blow which smashes your enemy’s shield, robbing him of a crucial defensive tool for the difficult fight ahead.

You can also dodge enemy swings, either to the sides or straight backwards. Knowing when to dodge, when to block and when to attack is a critical skill you need to learn.

Another important thing is learning which weapon to use against different foes. If you plan on charging into a camp of Darfari cannibals and hunt for thralls, it will be very useful to have a shield which can block their ranged weapons as you approach. Longer weapons like the pike can be effective when trying to keep your distance from the deadly jaws of a crocodile.

Improving your character as you level up gives you the chance to focus on many different attributes. Increasing might to cause more damage in melee, putting points into athleticism to improve your armor or building up your stamina so you are able to fight better in prolonged encounters are a few of the ways you can increase your chances in tough fights.

Combat in Conan Exiles is not only tactical, but true to the world of Conan it also extremely visceral and brutal. You can cut your enemies to pieces, hacking off their heads, arms, legs or even cleave their bodies in half as their blood stains the ground. Each killing blow has a chance to cause such a fatality, and which fatality you see depends on the body part hit.

Combat will be ruthless, fast and tactical. Whether you fight alone or together with your friends you will surely face defeat often. The true measure of an exile is how you deal with your defeats. If you learn from them and evolve you will only return stronger than before, ready to crush your enemies and see them driven before you.

Conan Exiles’ thrall system

MINIMUM:7 64 Bit/ Windows 8 64 Bit/ Windows 10 64 Bit
Processor: Intel Quad Core i5 or AMD equivalent
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 (2GB) or AMD equivalent
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 35 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
OS: Windows 7 64 bit / Windows 8 64 bit / Windows 10 64 bit
Processor: Intel Quad Core i5/i7 3.3 GHz or AMD equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX 970/780Ti (High) / GTX 1070 (Ultra) or AMD equivalent
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 35 GB available space

Creatures of Conan Exiles

In the very center of the desert, covered in sand the color of burnt orange, lies the Unnamed City. This was the seat of power for an ancient race now long gone. Since then it has been corrupted by foul and blasphemous magics. Here the dead walk again. The emaciated remains of human soldiers stalk the sands, wielding weapons from a bygone era while skeletal lizard beasts, reanimated by the corrupting forces that remain there, attack anyone within sight. Enormous bats fly overhead, swooping down to capture any unlucky soul still living. There are even rumors of dragons and molten beasts made of stone roaming the area. Although the danger is great the rewards can be even greater, as the Unnamed City holds many secrets just waiting to be discovered.

Servers and Mods

Funcom has partnered with Pingperfect on Conan Exiles. For the launch of Early Access we are aiming for a total online player count of up to 70 players per server, with hopes to increase this as the game grows leading up to full release. On servers hosted by Funcom players will experience the full unbridled brutality of Conan the Barbarian’s world in both PvE and PvP gameplay. These will be wiped every 30 days.We want to offer players a wide variety of servers for different kinds of communities, which is why we’ve made community filters to help players find the community they want to play with. The communities are:

20170109160431_1.jpg?resize=768%2C432

Conan Exiles will feature full mod support on PC. This is planned to be available from the start of Early Access. Mod developers will be able to download a custom Unreal Engine editor, letting them create a whole host of modifications to the game.

No point in playing on official servers then.

Private servers ain't really good either because of the custom rules and cheats.

In addition to this it’s possible to increase your character’s movement speed, turn them invisible, remove hunger and thirst, teleport and quickly level up

Sigh...

No point in playing on official servers then.

Private servers ain't really good either because of the custom rules and cheats.

Sigh...

Why would you want your progress to be saved on official servers for like 3-6 months? Late/end game gets boring because of nothing left to do. This way there would be no Alpha tribes to rules, and newbies will have a fair chance to play on official servers every month.

Communities build up on private servers and they are both good and bad. Some will allow cheats while others will play fair n square. This will most type of gamers will be happy.

It's sort of MMO game. You want to reset your progress every month and repeat it from scratch?

The Late game gets boring only when they stop releasing content for it.

Second, it has full building features and stuff. So why would you want to destroy everything you created/collected every month?

Actually, the players aren't happy with the news. Not just me.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/440900/discussions/0/142261352648578462/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/440900/discussions/0/142261352651775309/

The game has an interesting premise, but sadly it looks bland and this server rule is just a big no for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no, why bolt on all these RPG survival elements to the game?

It IS a survival game.

I'll give it a shot eventually but apart from Subnautica no other survival game has managed to hold my interest for long. This looks almost exactly like Ark: Survival Evolved which I didn't enjoy much either.

no other survival game has managed to hold my interest for long. This looks almost exactly like Ark: Survival Evolved which I didn't enjoy much either.

I think becuz you need a group of players to achieve goals rather than playing alone. I wanted to play ark but many (here) weren't satisfied with the graphics, bugs etc. Conan is made by known devs with good rep, so i think ppl will try and me too. At the moment, its being patched up so will wait a few more days. Plus I have yet to see a gameplay vid (since 31)

Tldr: most likely i will play, but first let the servers stabilize a bit cuz i dont have a good net

Archived