Precautions prior to PS3 replacement

SyLaRzV

I'm having problem with the ps3's bluray drive, it takes a long time to read any disc and i can hear it trying 5-6 times before it actually shows the disc in xmb menu, but recently i tried to play second hand gow3 disc and it didn't work as i had to keep on reinserting the disc, after about 10-15 tries it worked once but then it started freezing the ps3 randomly. So i went ahead and bought brand new gow saga collection and now even with this new gow3 disc i'm getting the same problem, ps3 just doesn't play this disc and keeps freezing, while it plays the other discs like Fifa14 and RDR but only after i hear it trying to read the disc 5-6 times.

I called Sony Center and they told me take the ps3 to Sony Service Center, so if they decide to replace it n keep this ps3 with them then what precautions should i take to erase all my data, just reset all settings to default or anything else as well ? If anyone has any idea about ps3 having problem with gow3 disc then plz help with this too.

Remove Personal Info from a PS3
If you wish to remove your personal information from your PS3 system for whatever reason (i.e., sending it in for service, selling it to someone else, etc.), you can do so by performing the following steps. This will ensure you delete any personal information from the PS3, including any Sony Entertainment Network account details. If you need to send your system in for service and are unable to access the XMB™ for any reason, you may skip these steps.
Deactivate your system
You can only have a maximum of five activated systems allowed on one Sony Entertainment Network account and must have the system physically with you in order to deactivate it. Because of that, it is a good idea to deactivate your system before you no longer have access to it. Click here to learn how to deactivate your system.
Back up any essential data you wish to keep (i.e., music, photos, videos, game saves, etc).
Click here for information on backing up data on your PS3.
Remove your Sony Entertainment Network account information from the PS3. To remove your Sony Entertainment Network account information, you can do one of the following:
Delete each local user on the PS3.
On the XMB™, go to Users icon (Users) and sign in to each user account.
With the user name highlighted, press the Triangle button icon button.
Select "Delete" and press the X button icon button.
The message "If you delete the user, saved data for the PlayStation®3 format software, messages, and bookmarks will also be deleted. Do you want to continue?" will appear. Highlight "Yes" and press the X button icon button.
You will receive a confirmation message "Are you sure you want to delete the user?" Highlight "Yes" and press the X button icon button.
The user will now be deleted. Repeat for all users.
Format the PS3 hard disk drive.
By formatting the PS3 hard disk drive, all data on the hard disk drive will be erased. If you wish to save your data, make sure to copy it to an external storage device, like a USB flash drive. Please note, this may take a couple hours to complete.
To format the hard disk drive:
Go to Settings icon (Settings) > System Settings icon (System Settings) and press the X button icon button.
Highlight [Format Hard Disk] and press the X button icon button.
The message "Do you want to format the hard disk?" will appear. Highlight "Yes" and press the X button icon button. The hard drive will then be formatted.
Delete billing (credit card) information from your Sony Entertainment Network account.
If you wish to take extra precaution or are unable to access the XMB™ of your PS3, you may delete the credit card information from your Sony Entertainment Network account(s). Click here for instructions on how to modify your billing information.
Be sure to follow all of the instructions that were given to you by SCEA when sending your system in.
If you are still waiting for the service instructions email from Consumer Services, please click here.
Once we receive your PS3 at our service center, turn around time is approximately 7-10 business days. Also, please be aware that the service center reserves the right to repair your console, exchange it with a factory certified unit, or return it to you according to the service center's diagnosis

-- sony

s
ony does not return the same ps3 , they simply swap it for another system same model that's been refurbished and you'll get it with the hdd formatted and updated firmware installed
they then format your hdd and use it after the system you sent is refurbished or used as parts so the one you get back is 'wiped'
if they can't get you another one the same model quickly they sometimes offer an upgrade to a new slim instead , or you can say no and wait up to two months for the refurbished system instead , otherwise it's a simple swap and takes a week or so from the time you send yours out
once they determine it's not damaged beyond repair or modded or hasn't been taken apart by you ( if it has then it won't be accepted and you'll have it returned ) they will get a refurbished system in the mail asap
mine took 10 days from the day I called sony , 3 to get the box and a week to get back another ps3 - called on a tuesday , got box on friday and sent it out same day and the following friday they delivered the replacement system
if you have upgraded your hdd then install the original before you return it , they don't send back upgraded hard drives , if you send an original 60 gig with 500 gig hdd you get back one with a 60 gig hdd .
have your systems model and serial number ready
don't bother with a backup except to copy saves because a full backup won't restore to the new system .
remember to deactivate then format it if possible beforehand to protect your personal information and remove one system activation from your limit of 5

- source

thanx a lot kemosabe, so basically i'll not be getting a new ps3 as replacement but just a refurbished one, so should i wait or go for the replacement ps3 as other game discs do work but only gow3 discs don't work ?

Also when i get the new replacement ps3 will i be able to download the free psn plus games again that are in my download list ?

thanx a lot kemosabe, so basically i'll not be getting a new ps3 as replacement but just a refurbished one, so should i wait or go for the replacement ps3 as other game discs do work but only gow3 discs don't work ?

Also when i get the new replacement ps3 will i be able to download the free psn plus games again that are in my download list ?

In India, Sony India used to do free replacement during the warranty period. Once the warranty period over, they will offer you to pay 50% of the current retail price to get a new console (as per various thread in IVG). wipe clean your ps3, backup up your game, take out the HDD if you put one by yourself.

In India, Sony India used to do free replacement during the warranty period.

they used to do free replacement ? now they do it or not during the warranty period (mine is under warranty), so if i take my ps3 now will i get a brand new one or refurbished one ?

they used to do free replacement ? now they do it or not during the warranty period (mine is under warranty), so if i take my ps3 now will i get a brand new one or refurbished one ?

As much I know, you should get a brand new replacement not a refurbished one.

Archived