[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

Hey guys, which is the best laptop to buy now?

I'm an architecture student and want to use many programs and softwares like CAD, Photoshop, InDesign, Maya, 3DS Max, Illustrator, UDK, Unity 3D etc.

Also, i'll be using it daily, for like entertainment, a little bit of gaming (Not hardcore).

The budget isnt too high too. Specifications like 4GB (8GB Recommended) and also a quite satisfactory storage space for music, tv shows, movies etc.

P.S : Alienware, Macbook pro and all those high budget ones are out of my sight, lol.

Any suggestions on which laptop to buy? Any specific ones?

Any suggestions on which laptop to buy? Any specific ones?

Get a 4th Core i7 based laptops with the maximum RAM in your budget. Aim for 8GB minimum though because most laptops have painful and expensive upgrade paths.

Else, get the cheapest laptop you can find with a 4th Core i7 processor and buy third-party compatible RAM modules and upgrade it yourself.

You can look at the following @flipkart. You can look at the cheapest offerings from ASUS, pick up a cheap copy of Windows 8.1 Pro and add as much RAM as your budget allows because the 16GB behemoths are expensive beyond measure.

I need to buy a monitor.looking for one with HDMI port and full HD display and my budget is 9k.

Was thinking of getting dell ss240l but it has a glossy screen so not too sure..

Also wanted to know if benq GW 225HM has HDMI port.

Any suggestions what I should opt for?

Edited by dharmin

The DELL option is pretty much your only choice at the price-point. I have not seen many matte finish / non-reflective panels in the market.

Is this the BenQ model you talking about, if yes, no HDMI on that. The GW2265HM does feature one though.

I need to buy a monitor.looking for one with HDMI port and full HD display and my budget is 9k.

Was thinking of getting dell ss240l but it has a glossy screen so not too sure..

Also wanted to know if benq GW 225HM has HDMI port.

Any suggestions what I should opt for?

If you have direct sun-light on the screen (no curtains) it can be pretty annoying.

@alpha yup dell looks like the only option..is GW2265HM available here?tried searching but couldn't find the price..

@acidrinker would the glossy screen be an issue say if there is no direct sunlight on the screen?

Idk why but the reflections aren't very noticeable with fluorescent tube lights (as long as they aren't emitting rays perpendicular to your screen). So you should be fine.

Idk why but the reflections aren't very noticeable with fluorescent tube lights (as long as they aren't emitting rays perpendicular to your screen). So you should be fine.

Thanks man..this was my only issue..guess I'll go with dell now

@alpha yup dell looks like the only option..is GW2265HM available here?tried searching but couldn't find the price..

@acidrinker would the glossy screen be an issue say if there is no direct sunlight on the screen?

You can contact BenQ India and they can direct you to the local distributor / retailer with whom you can find that particular model.

As long as there is no direct light falling on the screen you should not have an issue, what I mean by direct is if the light source is directly opposite the screen thereby featuring as a prominent reflection, you should do fine.

Which one of these would be the better choice?

Alienware 14x or Asus G75VX

If you are OK with the 14" screen - Alienware. It has a better proc & a better graphics card.

^ The ASUS laptop.

Which one of these would be the better choice?

Alienware 14x or Asus G75VX

Why do you say so Alpha ? Alienware has a better Proc & a better GPU. If the guy buying is OK with a 14" screen - its the way to go.

• Like 1

Why do you say so Alpha ? Alienware has a better Proc & a better GPU. If the guy buying is OK with a 14" screen - its the way to go.

GTX670M is a better graphic card in my books, I can verify it and the processor performance is very similar between the Haswell and Ivy-Bridge only advantage the former has is better efficiency vis-á-vis the latter but that does not affect the equation much when the task is gaming.

Here are the numbers for the same, GTX670M and the GTX765M. Although the 670M is based on older Fermi architecture it has a lead of ~0 -->10 fps in most titles as far as I skimmed through.

The outlook though is that the Alienware is based on newer chipsets and if the small premium and 14" screen is not too much of a dampner it will indeed be the better choice between the two.

Edited by ALPHA17
  • Like 1

GTX670M is a better graphic card in my books, I can verify it and the processor performance is very similar between the Haswell and Ivy-Bridge only advantage the former has is better efficiency vis-á-vis the latter but that does not affect the equation much when the task is gaming.

Here are the numbers for the same, GTX670M and the GTX765M. Although the 670M is based on older Fermi architecture it has a lead of ~0 -->10 fps in most titles as far as I skimmed through.

The outlook though is that the Alienware is based on newer chipsets and if the small premium and 14" screen is not too much of a dampner it will indeed be the better choice between the two.

I looked at the same links - GTX765M is atleast 5-10fps better :-) From the 765M page - " In our tests the average performance of the GTX 765M was above the older GTX 670MX. Demanding games like Metro: Last Light, Crysis 3, Far Cry 3 or even SimCity were playable in 1366x768 pixels and high detail settings at fluent frame rates." And 670M < 670MX.

Agree on Haswell vs Ivy-Bridge part - the performance diff isnt too great to affect gaming. Thats why i said if the OP is willing to accept the tradeoff in 14" vs 17" - Alienware is a better system overall (only slightly though).

Thank you both of you for your inputs.

And if this was to be compared to these two? How far behind (I'm assuming it would be behind seeing the price diff) would it be in terms of performance?

For sure, this is a much better system.

• Like 1