The Laptop/Notebook thread.

khanak

here is what it looks like but , i don't think my xps (old) has that feature via 3.5mm ... although it says left panel jack so i might aswell check later.

I'm not sure but I guess your XPS doesn't has it. I just checked settings in my laptop, and even it shows High Definition Audio below speakers. And I'm sure my laptop doesn't have S/PDIF support. So I guess "Digital" is the word to look for.

Edited by mixke

• 10 months later...

Guyz, i would be buying a laptop soon enough..so i was looking at few choices..I checked out Sony Vaio E-Series VPCEH26EN....in white colour...Is it good ?..Btw how are the vaio laptops...The price for that is around 34k...so is there anything better in that range from other brands..

Also will be using the laptop for work, movies...maybe gaming(I already own a gaming PC, 360 n PS3).....etc..

Let me know..

Thanks...

• 2 years later...

I'm surprised no one has posted in this thread for such a long time.

Anyway, I had been planning to buy a laptop for a while but never got around to it as my work was more or less being done on my old Dell XPS M1530. However, now the HDD of that laptop is gone and I am done with repairing its components. So now I have decided to finally get on with buying a new laptop.

I mainly use it for emailing, writing documents, watching movies now and again, browsing, youtubing, etc. I require a laptop that has a good battery life, has a screen size of 13" minimum and 15" maximum, at least a full HD display, good RAM/ graphics for smooth operations, and preferably a touch screen. My budget is 75k. However, I came across this laptop recently which seems pretty amazing.

Toshiba Satellite P50t-B Y3110

What do you guys feel about that? I know that it exceeds the budget but a 4k resolution seems quite appealing. The only problem I feel is that the text may seem almost unreadable at a resolution of 3840*2160 and hence I would anyway have to lower the default resolution... is there any workaround for this? Also, the above laptop has a graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 M265X (2GB Dedicated Graphics). Is that good enough for playing the latest games on a good setting? Do let me know.

Other than this, what other laptops/ ultrabooks would you guys suggest. I would mainly prefer laptops but can have a look at ultrabooks too.

I would prefer a Windows based laptop and do not have any preference related to companies; only condition is that the laptop shouldn't be of Dell brand !

Please do give suggestions guys.

Edited by Man In The Box

What do you guys feel about that? I know that it exceeds the budget but a 4k resolution seems quite appealing. The only problem I feel is that the text may seem almost unreadable at a resolution of 3840*2160 and hence I would anyway have to lower the default resolution... is there any workaround for this? Also, the above laptop has a graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 M265X (2GB Dedicated Graphics). Is that good enough for playing the latest games on a good setting?

You can right-click enter on desktop Screen Resolution > Make text and other items larger or smaller > Adjust the slider and apply the changes to your liking.

Even then the supplied AMD graphic card will not be able to continue with the heavy hitting games coming up in a year or so's time. Although @1080p / LOW -->MEDIUM the games might be functional and enjoyable.

Apart from that, I would suggest you look at the following models @flipkart and go through other e-retail sites for best prices on the same.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Instead of changing screen resolution, you can just zoom in. I dont think reading would be much of the problem.

As Alpha suggests about graphics, you can also wait around a bit becuz Intel 5th gen is going to be released by end of 2014. Though I dont know when the graphic card is going to be updated, You can stick to Nvidia 86x+ series at that price. However, touch screen laptops dont have good graphics at 80k (I may be wrong) but they can be ultrabooks.

I mainly use it for emailing, writing documents, watching movies now and again, browsing, youtubing, etc. I require a laptop that has a good battery life, has a screen size of 13" minimum and 15" maximum, at least a full HD display, good RAM/ graphics for smooth operations, and preferably a touch screen. My budget is 75k.

For these purposes, you can buy any laptop....even 40k would be good.

only condition is that the laptop shouldn't be of Dell brand !

Sony laptop keyboards have problems when combo'ing keys in gaming. More than 2 combos wont work.

HP uses cheap components and thus have highest heating issues

I have Asus k55vm, that dudes got heating issues when I game.

Toshiba ships its Satellite P and S Series after 6moths of release. C and L series are shite.

Edited by Nr.Draca47

Thanks a lot with the suggestions.

@Alpha: Basically I wanted to put the gaming query to just get a brief idea about the power of the laptop. I will mostly be using the laptop to play old games like 2008-10 games which are available dirt cheap on PC. I don't really game much on PC otherwise. So I guess these games will run fine on the laptop. Good to know that I can make texts larger to avoid the issue of unreadable texts at very high resolutions.

@Draca: Ya, although there are many 40k-50k laptops but none of them have a full HD display. So this is a major issue. Even the Flipkart list suggested by Alpha did not have many computers with Full HD display and the ones Full HD were around 80k which makes me feel that I should rather go for the Toshiba laptop instead which is just 6k more. Also, I can't wait at all as my laptop is busted. So purchase has to be made this week.

Please help.

Dude, just buy any laptop from alpha sir's recommendation. I personally use y510p, can easily run all games on high with 60fps. You should easily get better laptop in 85k range. Checkout y50.

multimedia, gaming, general n overall usage wise lenovo beats every other laptop imo

Edited by PHRiCK

@Alpha: Basically I wanted to put the gaming query to just get a brief idea about the power of the laptop. I will mostly be using the laptop to play old games like 2008-10 games which are available dirt cheap on PC. I don't really game much on PC otherwise. So I guess these games will run fine on the laptop. Good to know that I can make texts larger to avoid the issue of unreadable texts at very high resolutions.

In that case, hunt around for cheaper laptops, ~60000/- range with touchscreens because in my opinion the GT740M / 755M graphics sub-system in those should have enough grunt in them to get your work and play sorted.

Dude, just buy any laptop from alpha sir's recommendation. I personally use y510p, can easily run all games on high with 60fps. You should easily get better laptop in 85k range. Checkout y50.

multimedia, gaming, general n overall usage wise lenovo beats every other laptop imo

I agree on that sentiment but he wanted a touch screen option as well.

Also, please don't make me some kind of messiah. I am liable to make poor c choices and cannot be 100% right on every count.

Sent from miG

win 8.1 sucks man. stick to win 8.

I've heard this for the first time.. I have windows 8 on laptop and 8.1 On PC. I'd definitely recommend 8.1.

Sent from my C5502 using Tapatalk

Well dude, these are your options 4k + HD = Ultra HD, 2k+HD=FHD

Toshiba: Thats the top model, as Alpha said, R9 265 aint worthy enough. In US, starting at $1399

Asus: No Ultra HD yet

Lenovo: I would start with a quote 'This happens only in India'. Well my point is, Lenovo used Ultra HD in Y50 but in India, its absent. So, here are awesome laptops(the only ones that fit your fantasy) from US website.

a) Lenovo Y50 with GTX 860M 2-4GB, hybrid 8GB SSHD, starting at $1300

B)Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro at 3k resolution Multi-Touch, 13.3", 128-512 SSD, No discrete graphics, at $1000

c) Lenovo Y50 Touch FHD, 15", GTX 860 2GB, 8GB SSHD, at $1369 only

Scratch your head :lol:

If you cant get those US ones, then I guess your only option is to go for Toshiba

Well dude, these are your options 4k + HD = Ultra HD, 2k+HD=FHD

Toshiba: Thats the top model, as Alpha said, R9 265 aint worthy enough. In US, starting at $1399

Asus: No Ultra HD yet

Lenovo: I would start with a quote 'This happens only in India'. Well my point is, Lenovo used Ultra HD in Y50 but in India, its absent. So, here are awesome laptops(the only ones that fit your fantasy) from US website.

a) Lenovo Y50 with GTX 860M 2-4GB, hybrid 8GB SSHD, starting at $1300

B)Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro at 3k resolution Multi-Touch, 13.3", 128-512 SSD, No discrete graphics, at $1000

c) Lenovo Y50 Touch FHD, 15", GTX 860 2GB, 8GB SSHD, at $1369 only

Scratch your head :lol:

If you cant get those US ones, then I guess your only option is to go for Toshiba

Once again, just because I mentioned that I liked the ultra HD part for Toshiba.. it doesn't mean that the laptop must be of 4k or ultra high res quality !

Full HD (1920*1080) resolution is the requirement for me and I am happy with a full HD laptop too as long as it is fast and I would prefer a touch screen but again, it is not mandatory.

I will be buying from India itself. So please give some more options :)

Edited by Man In The Box

Once again, just because I mentioned that I liked the ultra HD part for Toshiba.. it doesn't mean that the laptop must be of 4k or ultra high res quality !

Full HD (1920*1080) resolution is the requirement for me and I am happy with a full HD laptop too as long as it is fast and I would prefer a touch screen but again, it is not mandatory.

I will be buying from India itself. So please give some more options :)

The base Y510p with a 4th Gen Core i5 / i7 should be great for your in that case.