The Android Thread

pArth

^^although I never used Optimus 2X but according to almost every review and user-opinion 2X is only good on paper in practical it is extremely laggy and even works slower than some of the single-core phones. Even some of the optimus 2X users itself suggested to stay away from it. Nvidia-tegra with dual-core may sound pleasing but I'd rather get a phone which actually works better/faster than the one which has better specs.

Definitely YAY. Best phone in this range. The best thing is that its very fast and doesn't lag at all. The only downside is its internal memory which is just 300+ mb otherwise its a very good mid-range phone, its faster than galaxy SL. Also, use your negotiation skills and you can get it for 16.8k with 8GB memory card. And one more thing, keep your i out of you :P

Well it's not for me, for my mum. Went to get the Lumia for her after convincing her on Metro but then really hated the display. Then she saw this in the store and loved how it looks. Honestly, it does look beautiful. I guess it will also get the ICS update, an Alpha build was released by SE themselves today. And it was cheaper so savings for me :D I would have loved to get her a Metro phone but don't like any out there right now. You know I'm not the biggest fan of Android..

Plus the Neo V has to be the best VFM phone right now. Where'd you get it for 16.8 with an 8 gig card and which color? Mum wants white.

Also, what's really the downside for having a low internal memory (320 mb for this)?

Optimus 2x is available for 19k btw. It beats neo v in almost everything.

^^although I never used Optimus 2X but according to almost every review and user-opinion 2X is only good on paper in practical it is extremely laggy and even works slower than some of the single-core phones. Even some of the optimus 2X users itself suggested to stay away from it. Nvidia-tegra with dual-core may sound pleasing but I'd rather get a phone which actually works better/faster than the one which has better specs.

This. Plus the phone just looks drab. Honestly SE phones are the only ones in Android world which offer some interesting design in a sea of drab-ness. The Xperia Neo V is just right, not too big, fantastic to hold and the screen is gorgeous. Down with AMOLED.

The usage is a summary it doesn't show active apps. You must have played that game recently and so it shows up under the usage. You can check running apps by holding down the home button and going to task manager. To see running services go to Settings > Applications > Running Services.

Also check if your phone stays "awake" even when its locked. You can see this in the battery usage screen itself. If it's always awake then some app is eating up resources even when idle.

Battery usage will show any apps/components that are consuming more than 2% of battery. It's not related to running/not running or how recent it was used.

btw, if the phone is staying awake, it'd be helpful to collect the logcat log. It might help to pin point if any app is holding the wake lock.

Edited by Shantz

This was true when phone was released with Froyo. With Gingerbread 2.3, its great on stock LG rom. Anyways, as chilly wants it for his mom, Neo V is the best choice. Sony UI is fantastic and it definitely looks the part.

Hey guys I just got my brand new Samsung Galaxy S2 today eve :cheers:

But I'm a total n00b with an android phone lol... Can anyone please forward me to the best place I can find out about making best use of android, which apps are a must have, how to *cough* jailbreak/hack *cough* the phone in order to make it even more awesome and get apps otherwise not available... :banned:

Anyone know any good sites/forums etc etc that would help me out?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Btw a little help with this too please, I log into IVG through Opera on the phone, I can browse just fine, but the reply box doesn't get selected/allow me to type anything in it for some reason.

I can use the google search or the forum/topic search just fine, but the reply box just doesn't give me the option for text input... Any reason why??

Congratulations! Also, ICS update has started rolling out for the Nexus S. You can try and attempt a manual update to force it..

I'll wait, I'll wait... I'm off on my Vegas, California, Arizona etc. tour in the morning. I saw the news and went to the thread on XDA (where they're messing around with a rooted image that may or may not work and their dropbox account keeps crashing before anyone can download) So I don't want to leave with a messed up phone. I'll do it next month.

Edited by Gaurav - Solitaire

Hey guys I just got my brand new Samsung Galaxy S2 today eve :cheers:

But I'm a total n00b with an android phone lol... Can anyone please forward me to the best place I can find out about making best use of android, which apps are a must have, how to *cough* jailbreak/hack *cough* the phone in order to make it even more awesome and get apps otherwise not available... :banned:

Anyone know any good sites/forums etc etc that would help me out?

Thanks a lot for any help!

I recommend one month internship under yumtee..

^^User here?

I rooted me phone already, lol less than 24 hours since purchase rofl.

Looking into some awesomeness apps xxxxxxxxxxxx

Edited by MarketTantrik
IVG has a zero tolerance policy on piracy.

Man, the caught up with a wierd bug on S2. It has stopped recognizing simcard, any simcard. It shows 'crossed O' in the notification bar, in stead of the network bars.

Many users have experienced it but samsung haven't done anything about it. Went to to the service center, and they said they will upload official 2.3.5 and data may be lost. :-(