The Formula 1 Thread

MarketTantrik

Vijay Mallya joins Michiel Mol in bid for Spyker team

Saturday, September 1st 2007, 09:29 GMT

Spyker's director of Formula One, Michiel Mol, has teamed up with Indian businessman Vijay Mallya to make an 80 million euro (bid for the cash-strapped team.

"This offer has been accepted by the Board of Spyker Cars N.V. and exclusivity has been granted to the consortium Orange India Holdings Sarl to proceed with due diligence ... to achieve completion within 30 days," the partners said in a joint statement late on Friday.

Strongwind, the investment arm of the Mol family, and Watson Limited, which is owned by Mallya, are making the offer. Mallya is the chairman and controlling shareholders of the UB Group, which has beer, spirits and airlines operations in India.

Spyker Formula One team is owned by Dutch luxury sports car maker Spyker Cars NV.

Spyker, founded in 2000, is now reviewing its financing and strategy due to liquidity problems. It acquired the Formula One team from Midland for $106.6 million last year.

Spyker posted a net loss of 29.9 million euros in the first half of the year, up from a loss of 1.1 million euros in the year-ago period. It has said it expects to make a loss this year. The Formula One team had a 13 million euro loss.

Looks like we'll finally have a significant Indian presence in F1. This has to bode well for the proposed Indian GP at Delhi. Maybe now the clearances and approvals will move quicker and we can have our first Indian GP by 2010.

hi guys,

i am f1 fan too just like you guys and this spyker being acquired by vijay mallya is a great news for indian f1 fans.

he is really gonna put india on the f1 map very soon.btw my favourite team is mclaren mercedes and ferrari is really slightly close to mclaren mercedes as a second favourite.i got few formula 1 merchandise too i will soon post a pic of my gears....

hey this is interesting....

Mallya had this to say on bringing a F-1 race to India: “I’m on the same side as anyone who brings F1 to India, and German designer Herman Tilke who has done Bahrain, Istanbul and is now working on Singapore will be flying into Delhi on Monday to check the suitability of two-three sites.”

i hope he likes atleast one of the sites and the left parties does not oppose making of a f1 track by claiming the track could be dangerous for national security.they are really crazy.

hi guys,

i am f1 fan too just like you guys and this spyker being acquired by vijay mallya is a great news for indian f1 fans.

he is really gonna put india on the f1 map very soon.btw my favourite team is mclaren mercedes and ferrari is really slightly close to mclaren mercedes as a second favourite.i got few formula 1 merchandise too i will soon post a pic of my gears....

Welcome to the ever growing McLaren fan club :mellow:

^^ thanks.mclaren mercedes aur ferrari ka baat hi alag hai par mercesdes ka gari abhi thoda age chal reha hai.

check this news on the guy who was come down to see the sites for the circuit.

Press Trust of India

NEW DELHI, Sept. 3: The mission to bring Formula 1 to India seemed to gather pace with the arrival here today of reputed circuit designer Mr Hermann Tilke to assess the proposed sites for building an F1 track.

“Tilke visited some sites today. He will see more sites again tomorrow,” Indian Olympic Association president Mr Suresh Kalmadi said. “He will leave the day after and file his report to F1 chief Mr Bernie Ecclestone,” Mr Kalmadi added.

The IOA chief preferred not to divulge the exact locations where Mr Tilke visited or would be visiting, but merely said, “they are around the National Capital Region.” Newspaper reports had earlier said that vast vacant areas in Greater Noida, Wazirabad and a place near Indira Gandhi International airport had been identified by the IOA for laying the track.

The IOA had received a letter from Mr Ecclestone in June making a provisional agreement to have an Indian Grand Prix in 2009.

But the letter gave the IOA a deadline of 30 September to complete the process of land identifying and sign a formal binding contract Mr Ecclestone’s F1.

“We are closer to getting F1,” Mr Kalmadi said. The issue, however, has taken an interesting turn with Mr Ecclestone reportedly vesting business tycoon Mr Vijay Mallya with the charge of assessing any proposal to host a GP from India.

1330416584_8a33868057_b.jpg

1329472415_a5502ef5b1_b.jpg

the tata racing tshirt with official williams f1 team sponsorship ...was a gift from tata nmotors i won it in a contest on news channel and the bag is actually a gift from sony with f1 stickers.thats it. until i get more lucky next time and win more such merchandise...

i love f1 though i still have to learn few rules.but no matter what i enjoy the every second of it.i like all f1 teams specially toyota.merc mclaren,ferrari,renault,honda ,bmw suaber.

i am so excited about this spyker deal now i can buy spyker merchandise directly as i think it will supply to india directly now and i will support spyker more then even mercedes mclaren.i love it but countries official team support comes first.

Italian GP, Qualifying - September 08, 2007

McLaren have translated their practice superiority into Qualifying today, clinching a dominant 1-2 starting position on the grid for tomorrow's race. Ferrari seemed a bit off, especially Kimi Raikkonen, who had to start in a repaired car after suffering a high speed shunt in morning practice today.

1] Fernando Alonso / McLaren-Mercedes / 1:21.997

2] Lewis Hamilton / McLaren-Mercedes / 1:22.034

3] Felipe Massa / Ferrari / 1:22.549

4] Nick Heidfeld / BMW / 1:23.174

5] Kimi Räikkönen / Ferrari / 1:23.183

6] Robert Kubica / BMW / 1:23.446

7] Heikki Kovalainen / Renault / 1:24.102

8] Nico Rosberg / Williams-Toyota / 1:24.382

9] Jarno Trulli / Toyota / 1:24.555

10] Jenson Button / Honda / 1:25.165

The remaining positions are insignificant. You can visit www.formula1.com to see all the results.

Cheers for tomorrow's race !!! :bash: