What Kind of Wii Game Would You Make?

sanman

What kind of Wii game would you make, that you feel would rock everybody's socks off?

I'm thinking that I'd like a game which could combine fitness/exercise with mind-blowing entertainment. That way you'd get some physical benefit while enjoying yourself.

When I bought Wii Fit, one of my favorite games from this was Wii jogging. Basically you put the Wiimote in your pocket, and you jog on the spot. The Wiimote picks up your up-and-down motion, and this causes your character to jog along a jogging trail. The faster you jog, the faster your character jogs. I found it really enjoyable, and you can really work up a sweat that way.

I'd love to see this kind of feature combined into some kind of FPS game, or even a Rails shooter.

You'd jog on the spot to make your character run along, and perhaps the nunchuk's joystick could be used to steer your character around the playing field. The C and Z-buttons on the nunchuk could be used to make your player leap or duck.

Or perhaps you could stick the nunchuk in your pocket to sense your up-down jogging motion, since it too has an accelerometer, and you'd hold the Wiimote in your hand to shoot at stuff on the screen.

I just think it would be cool to have a game that requires you to actually move your a*s instead of lying on the couch, in order to make your character move along. This would motivate you to get some cardiovascular exercise, to succeed in the game.

I actually do programming for a living: C#/C++/Java/SQL/web coding mainly. For awhile now I've been wanting to try making a videogame, though I don't have any experience in this type of programming. Plus, to develop on the Wii means actually setting up a company and making a presentation to Nintendo, etc, before they'll even let you buy a development platform from them (they're very protective of their brand, and don't allow just anybody to make games for it.)

I would like to see more actions tied to the Wiimote, though not necessarily the same actions that dictate what one would be physically doing to match up the visual representation of it in a game (ie. swinging a sword, shooting a gun). Rather, I'd like to see more menu-related and user-input intuitive design feats, if that makes sense. Mario Galaxy got this right in a lot of ways, and I think it would be pretty cool to see this in more strategy-oriented genres like RTS and RPGs. In fact, I think the RTS genre in general seems like the next logical kind of game to try a build a Wii control scheme around. It could be fun, assuming its not just some "use Wiimote to select units, then select the area you want them to attack."

What I worry a lot is that if a game becomes more complicated to control and requires more effort/input on the player's part, does that make it more tedious to play? I can only bother playing games like HotD: Overkill in a hour's time, as my hand gets pretty tired. Which is why I think, yet again, Mario Galaxy got this right. You don't have to wail your arms like an indecent man baby to enjoy yourself, even the most insignificant of actions can make a game that much more interactive.

I would like games which need you to use the Wii mote to full extent. I am ok even it being used as sword or Gun or any weapon for that matter. But one important thing is controls should be a bit easier... :fear:

Running of Wii fit board to make ur charecter run :samui: this wuld be an amzng. Think of playing COD kind of game where u need to run continuously man it wuld be a damn good exercise with pure fun. But on the other side game wuld bcme very complicated i guess :(.

Well, what you've said reminds me of a game called "Black and White", which was made by the same guy who made Spore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_&_White_(game)

It was a god game which could be used with the P5 powerglove (a spinoff descendant of the old Nintendo powerglove).

You could use a gesture-based control scheme to command your villagers, etc like a god.

For that purpose, the Wiimote could be used like a fancy mouse, more or less.

But I think that Wii's uniquely rich motion-based interface is best used for reproducing your own natural intuitive movements in a game. I'd love to be able to use a bullwhip like Indiana Jones or Zorro, by performing the same movements with my hands using the Wiimote.

Or make a Sword-and-Shield game where the Wiimote is your sword and the nunchuk is your shield in the other hand.

In particular, I think it would really be nifty to be able to make some Indian-themed sword game in that genre. The upcoming Wii Motionplus attachment should lend itself particularly well to melee weapons, such as swords, shields, whips, etc, etc.

Maybe one could make some cartoony turban-wearing character kind of like Mario. Since the Wii's graphics capabilities are inferior to PS3 and Xbox360, the cartoony Lego-videogame look seems to suit it better.

One word - CRICKET

I bet balling and batting in Wii cricket game is gonna make you exercise enough with all the hand and shoulder movements, and if you wanna make a run or catch that catch, you better jog your a*s off :fear:

Edit: It's of course gonna be a whole lotta fun too and for those not-so-fat skinny people, like me :(, you could always toggle the controls to "couch mode" and make use of the A, B, C, and Z buttons to play the game :samui:

I would like games which need you to use the Wii mote to full extent. I am ok even it being used as sword or Gun or any weapon for that matter. But one important thing is controls should be a bit easier... :fear:

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. And so many people are attracted by the exercise/health possibilities of the Wii, because it's a totally new direction for gaming. Instead of parents worrying their kids will become couch potatoes, they can feel better knowing their kids are actually being motivated to exercise, even if they're not as good at regular outdoor sports.

Running of Wii fit board to make ur charecter run :samui: this wuld be an amzng. Think of playing COD kind of game where u need to run continuously man it wuld be a damn good exercise with pure fun. But on the other side game wuld bcme very complicated i guess :(.

The Wii Jogging game that comes as part of the Wii Fit package is the only game in the package that doesn't use the Balance Board. All you have to do is put the Wiimote in your pocket, and it will pick up your jogging motion.

I don't think jogging would make the game more complicated -- on the contrary, it would become simpler. Rather than relying on your hand reflexes just to be able to run, instead your natural jogging motion would take care of making you run. That frees up your hand reflexes for other more natural things, instead of having to mentally map every single task to your hands.

Furthermore, imagine a Time Crisis type of game that's on rails and also imposes time-limits.

So beyond just shooting/clearing enemies from your path, also being able to run from one checkpoint to the next can add to the time-limit pressure. There are lots of possibilities.

Here's an interesting mention of the Wii balance board:

http://www.bonafidereviews.com/article.php?id=225

Another possibility for the Wii Balance Board lies in the “On Rails Shooter” genre, specifically with the popular title Time Crisis. This game, a favorite in the arcades, uses a pedal to cause the player to crouch behind cover, and to come out into the open to shoot. The balance board can easily be used as a substitute for this pedal, allowing the game to operate as a functional analog of how it would in the arcades. However, this isn’t the only possibility. Perhaps a more interesting method of control would be to allow the player to stand on the balance board, and crouch when he wants to take cover. In fact, while we are on the subject, there was a series of “On Rails” motion capture arcade games made by Konami, which used the body’s full range of motion in controlling a character. The on rails shooter “Police 911” took advantage of this motion capture technology, but never made it to a console release. By using the Wii Balance Board, the movement of the entire body can be detected, and games such as this can finally make a console appearance.

Here's the aforementioned arcade game, "Police 911" (aka. "Keisatsukan" in Japan)

This was an awesome arcade hit that attracted people with its great gaming controls.

It was a god game which could be used with the P5 powerglove (a spinoff descendant of the old Nintendo powerglove).

That's actually pretty cool, even if it is basically a glorified mouse.

Here's the aforementioned arcade game, "Police 911" (aka. "Keisatsukan" in Japan)

Hey, I remember that game! D:

Nice find, Sanman *thumbs up*

Archived