Gameloft shutdown its Hyd office

OP mentions someone knew about this for sometime. If I'd have been them, I would have tried to get the word out. Worst case what would Gameloft have done, fire me?

A few days ago I read a story about a married couple who both worked at THQ. Due to her position, the wife apparently knew about what was happening regarding the company declaring bankruptcy but the husband didn't and she was not allowed to tell him. She had to lie to him about why she was working overtime for weeks and just imagine how the husband must have felt when he found out. Point being, there are implications to these things and it's not always black and white. Direct your ire towards the assholes at Gameloft who made this decision, not those who were forced to implement it. We all have to do things in our jobs that we don't like to do.

Well so many of you are here in colleges i guess, but this is how it works not only in India but Abroad also. Layoff are a part and parcel of this Industry. Yahoo, Microsoft, Oracle, Motorola, Hp, Infosys, TCS all do it, and abroad as well. I personally know a lot of people who have gone through this including my immediate family members. Severance pay is offered, and i think it has been done here too as per the post above.

Stop bringing morality in this, it has no place in the corporate world. I feel really bad for the guys who knows tomorrow i might be a victim too, but there is nothing you can do. The offer clearly states that the organisation is free to ask you to go anytime by asking you to either serve the notice period or give you that period salary. It is the same as you resign a lot of people do not serve the notice period but pay the company, so even they are not morally correct.

Being 10 years in IT industry, i have seen good and worse, and this is a part of being in this field. India is no more a cost effective place for companies to operate, salaries have grown leaps and bounds, resorting the companies to look at cutting cost. Lot of jobs from India are going to be cut short because of this.

So when a lot of you will get out of your gaming world and out of your parents protection, you will realize ife is not roadies and splitsvilla, it is a bad bad world out there.

Not entirely correct but can't debate on this for now..

I am the idiot who read 10 page agreement document down to every line, even asked for corrections in them before signing. did that for two jobs, got both of them to change the actual agreement document to my satisfaction. believe me, there is a clause which state you as an associate, legally. I can even refer you to one of my friend's wife who works in legal department for an IT company. So, unless you want to debate, I feel I stand corrected.

Also, do you know, all companies ask you to sign that any work done even during off time or weekend is considered company's IP? And the fact, that you can ask for corrections and sign a new agreement in case you have issues with original one?

Regarding this situation, well if they get severance package, it is non-issue. The point of severance package is to actually allow firing like this. It shouldn't feel bad, as you get salary for next few months, that you might need to find a job.

OP mentions someone knew about this for sometime

Hint: His name is mentioned here. Though we or anyone cant blame him as there is 100% chance that he came to know at the last moment as well.

EDIT: All is well and good if severence package is offered. HOWEVER, they asked them to sign that they are leaving voluntarily and not fired, THIS IS MORALLY WRONG.

Well so many of you are here in colleges i guess, but this is how it works not only in India but Abroad also. Layoff are a part and parcel of this Industry. Yahoo, Microsoft, Oracle, Motorola, Hp, Infosys, TCS all do it, and abroad as well. I personally know a lot of people who have gone through this including my immediate family members. Severance pay is offered, and i think it has been done here too as per the post above.

Stop bringing morality in this, it has no place in the corporate world. I feel really bad for the guys who knows tomorrow i might be a victim too, but there is nothing you can do. The offer clearly states that the organisation is free to ask you to go anytime by asking you to either serve the notice period or give you that period salary. It is the same as you resign a lot of people do not serve the notice period but pay the company, so even they are not morally correct.

Being 10 years in IT industry, i have seen good and worse, and this is a part of being in this field. India is no more a cost effective place for companies to operate, salaries have grown leaps and bounds, resorting the companies to look at cutting cost. Lot of jobs from India are going to be cut short because of this.

So when a lot of you will get out of your gaming world and out of your parents protection, you will realize ife is not roadies and splitsvilla, it is a bad bad world out there.

+1. I used to think in emotional terms till my first boss screwed me out of a salary hike.

I was working onsite and was hearing good things from my Bangalore offices management every day in team calls. My boss, on many occasions used to tell me the project would nt have worked out without me. I felt proud. Come appraisal day, I was told I was getting a 2% hike whereas my offsite counter parts would be getting 15% hike. I asked why, and got told it was because the offsite team was putting in more working hours than me, which essentially meant they would sit in office till 9, check emails and chat with friends. Free internet, free AC. My blood boiled when I found out it was actually a 25% hike they were giving to people who didnt even know basics of programming.

I found another job in a months time, and gave a 2 day notice period, even though my offer letter asked for a 1 month notice period. I hadn't checked in my 2 weeks worth of work to the central repo. I hit Shift+Delete on the folder, and got out of there after 2 days. "If you leave now, we will not be able to pay your one month salary" they said. "Im not asking you to pay my salary, kindly relieve me of my duties here so I can pursue other opportunities" I wrote back.

Ive never been laid off so far, but Im sure there is a lot of tension that arises out of such situations. Some people have committed to home loans and things like that. I always advice younger people than me to save for a rainy day. IT industry is very unpredictable. Your dad and my dad might have worked in the government where a job was guaranteed, but in private companies, I would advice to never take your job for granted. Make money while you can, spend little, save more, create an alternative income for yourself and try to live a peaceful life devoid of tension.

Like a wise man once said "In peace make preparations for war".

Exactly an year ago, a major company took over the company I was working in and then shut the doors tight. Motive? Just to kill the competition! There was a town-hall meet where the CEO of the parent org described us as "extraneous cost".

Well, like Athek put it, "It's a bad world out there!" No remorse, whatsoever! Frankly put, the unit I was working in was making profits in millions of USD every single quarter!!

I have seen layoffs 3-4 years in my last 8 years can say 2007 year was worst people literally cried when signing resignation first time is scary and its more scary since you never know when your number will come but its a part of life keep working and moveon when you know its your turn

To those who are saying that morality has no place in corporate world and employers are ok to fire anyone, I disagree. And you will too, when you are at the receiving end.

2 months salary and it is ok and all well?

Dude, your whole life is whisked from under your feet in an instant. It can't even be compared to someone leaving the company with/without notice. The company can still go on with the rest of the 99.999% of the work force. But for the employee, his 100% of employer is leaving him.

Even then, do you think a company/manager looks at a person who is leaving without notice in a good way and just take it as chalta hai? No.

If there was a mass exodus of all the employees of an office on a given day giving 1-2 months' salary, do you think the company would be able to manage itself? It'd be ruined.

You brag about how you've seen this and that and people getting laid off all the time and that somehow makes this ok. I've seen and met people, friends, relatives, who have gone through this situation and it is nothing short of pure horror. You suddenly can't think. You make the call to your loved ones but can't gather the courage to tell them what happened. Suddenly from spending on games and lounging around on forums, you are down to thinking can your savings manage your household's food for next few months while you try to get a job while still paying your home loan? Do you know why it is mentioned so clearly in the report about closing balcony doors, because yes, Foxconn might look alien to us but the thought of ending it all definitely crosses everyone's minds at this instant.

So, no. It is not ALL WELL.

I told you i have seen an immediate member go through this both in India and Abroad. so YES i know how it feels, it felt as i was there. But this is how these companies will work, take it or leave it. When US is not able to stop this, what do you think can happen in India. If you are not willing to live with the Risk, get a govt job. In a private job we are at mercy of our employers, they decide when there is a sal cut, they decide when the policies change and they decide if you get a hike or promotion or not, and eventually they decide when you have to go. It is a Bitter truth and we decided to live with it when we signed that dotted line.

There is nothing we can do, nothing we will be able to do, except feeling bad and living on with it.

I am just being practical and not emotional here...

No where i support this, and i understand how much sh*t people have to go through, but then when we ask for a 30-40% hike on changing jobs we should know that if we are getting a huge raise, it is because they need you at that time, what when the project ends, you are an overpaid employee at that time...Life's Bitter truth.

To those who are saying that morality has no place in corporate world and employers are ok to fire anyone, I disagree. And you will too, when you are at the receiving end.

Dude, your whole life is whisked from under your feet in an instant. It can't even be compared to someone leaving the company with/without notice. The company can still go on with the rest of the 99.999% of the work force. But for the employee, his 100% of employer is leaving him.

Even then, do you think a company/manager looks at a person who is leaving without notice in a good way and just take it as chalta hai? No.

If there was a mass exodus of all the employees of an office on a given day giving 1-2 months' salary, do you think the company would be able to manage itself? It'd be ruined.

You brag about how you've seen this and that and people getting laid off all the time and that somehow makes this ok. I've seen and met people, friends, relatives, who have gone through this situation and it is nothing short of pure horror. You suddenly can't think. You make the call to your loved ones but can't gather the courage to tell them what happened. Suddenly from spending on games and lounging around on forums, you are down to thinking can your savings manage your household's food for next few months while you try to get a job while still paying your home loan? Do you know why it is mentioned so clearly in the report about closing balcony doors, because yes, Foxconn might look alien to us but the thought of ending it all definitely crosses everyone's minds at this instant.

In India layoff is termed as very bad remark to your C.V but compared to U.S its more of chalta and it has become a part of life , if someone losses his/her job in India he cannot find a new job since the prospective labels you as a underperformer which is not the case in U.S they themselves get them fired since they receive very good amount of compensation , several of my friends lost there jobs and its not just hard its like they have lost everything.

Trust me this looks good on paper but can never happen unless you work in Factory Mills.

And yeah layoff did happen in my firm 15 days back as it happens every year

Probably we should copy japenese style of work.. job change is alien there and firing from job is more thinkable.. this is also one of the reason that traditional MNCs find it tough to cope in Japan..

But yes no matter what you say, this is a fact that we live in a materialistic world where corporates exists to make profit and at the same time this is also a fact that mass firing of hundreds of employees is something not definately not ok.

@JUST AN update ---reimbursement part is something different -

in gameloft we used to work overtime and extra working days so in exchange we used to get either extra salary or holiday.

everyone will be paid there reliveing period money of 1 month only...and people who have extra holidays will be able to encash there holidays extra

I can really understand these things and i pretty much agree with what most of you put here..... According to the scenario, This is how the corporate World works....  We can't do much about it. Also I don't support this mass firing. Something that I feel shouldn't be implemented n any country.  

I hope the employees @ Gameloft would be able to find new jobs and regarding the remunerations,  That was expected.   What I didn't like is the employee being made to resign at his will and not company's. Now that's not fair.  

We can discuss things about how the rules work in software sector but we better save it for another day and try to help the ones who lost job to get a new one. Fwd me the resume of the ones who lost jobs to nittam.harish@oracle.com (Will let you know if I have openings which usually comes once in every 2 weeks).  

This is sad and i know the feeling of being jobless especially when you have shitload of loans on your/family's head.  Hope things will be fine, Cheers.

Edit:- Emoticons not working, Seems the site went up-gradation.

Agreed with everything but not your last paragraph. Not everyone has nothing saved after 4 years of working in IT industry. If at all the software industry falls down, I have backups. Hell, I have backups for my backups.

Like I said, in peace make preparations for war. Don't wait for disaster to find you, prepare in advance. We guys get paid more than our "operating costs" for a month. Its only logical that we save up for such tough times. Unless you're partying it all away, I dont see how its difficult.

Not dragging the tangential conversation further, if anyone knows any gameloft employees who are good in C/C++/Gfx etc, please ask them to send their resume to me at shantanu AT shantanugoel DOT com

Archived