The Old Cricket Thread

vinitwins

WC T20  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All dhoni bashing comments are well and good but who is his replacement? Kohli? Lol!

We can't go lower in tests (especially overseas) anyways looking at our performance in the last 3 years. I don't think there would be an issue of finding a replacement. Better to lose under a young player who is gonna play for the next 7 years instead of losing under Dhoni.

We can't go lower in tests (especially overseas) anyways looking at our performance in the last 3 years. I don't think there would be an issue of finding a replacement. Better to lose under a young player who is gonna play for the next 7 years instead of losing under Dhoni.

Making someone the captain just for the heck of it has caused this problem. Dhoni was never test material but they made him captain because he was perceived to be a good leader of men, not necessarily for his tactics. Would you like to repeat the mistake again?

As for reasons on why we've failed overseas, how about blaming our batsmen and bowlers for most of the losses instead of the captain? The catching also has been atrocious at crucial moments.

Name one player you can confidently say will be in the test team for the next 12 months? Other than Bhuvi, i don't see anyone. Do you?

Edited by TheHitman

Making someone the captain just for the heck of it has caused this problem. Dhoni was never test material but they made him captain because he was perceived to be a good leader of men, not necessarily for his tactics. Would you like to repeat the mistake again?

As for reasons on why we've failed overseas, how about blaming our batsmen and bowlers for most of the losses instead of the captain? The fielding also has been atrocious at crucial moments.

We can't assume that nobody in the team is there worthy enough to be a captain. Sometimes, chances have to be taken. It is not like sticking with Dhoni is benefiting us.

We can't assume that nobody in the team is there worthy enough to be a captain. Sometimes, chances have to be taken. It is not like sticking with Dhoni is benefiting us.

This is what i don't understand. How will changing the captain magically transform the team? Have we been losing because of the captaincy? If yes, then definitely go ahead and change. But if the batting and bowling have been sub par and have showed no signs of improving, changing the captain is not going to help much.

This is what i don't understand. How will changing the captain magically transform the team? Have we been losing because of the captaincy? If yes, then definitely go ahead and change. But if the batting and bowling have been sub par and have showed no signs of improving, changing the captain is not going to help much.

Captain does matter a lot in the tests. The whole mindset and approach that it brings to the team, the field placements, bowling changes and team selections all play a big role. Nobody says that he is the only reason but t say that Dhoni has no role to play in the loses is ignorant. It doesn't even look like if he cares whether we lose or win. That is not how a captain should be. He is too defensive in his strategies, field placements and selections.
  • Like 1

How about changing selectors for f**k sake. They are selecting players randomly based on one off perfomances and when they do select someone good, Dhoni doesnt give that players chance to play. Pankaj singh might be a decent bowler in ranji trophy but he was clearly out of his depth here. I agree that he was unlucky but there was nothing special about his bowling. And how the heck a 6 and half feet tall giant bowls at low 130's??? Where is the effort and where were the coaches. They need to nurture and encourage players who are built like him to bowl out and out fast because their body can take it.

Captain does matter a lot in the tests. The whole mindset and approach that it brings to the team, the field placements, bowling changes and team selections all play a big role. Nobody says that he is the only reason but t say that Dhoni has no role to play in the loses is ignorant. It doesn't even look like if he cares whether we lose or win. That is not how a captain should be. He is too defensive in his strategies, field placements and selections.

Fair enough, who would be his replacement? Most of these guys have captained at state, IPL, etc. level. Any of them look good to you?

If we lose last test too very badly, with no changes in tactics, then I too will become Dhoni basher. For replacement test captain, we don't have an option. Maybe Ashwin?

the TINA excuse has now cost us one too many series.

make ashwin captain. a bowling captain in tests is always a good idea as he'll always look for wickets plus ashwin seems to be very competitive & will be a better bet than virat who i feel can be disastrous as captain.
think ashwin should go from bowler who can bat to batsman who bowls (esp. overseas). basically the mirror opposite of moeen ali. he always looked comfortable against pace/bounce/spin/everything. even against shillingford where all our other batsmen were at sea (except for nohit) he was good. in aus, vs eng at home, wherever he's consistently been one of the better batsman on view

also a bowling captain can afford a lapse in concentration due to captaincy worries while bowling but if a batting captain lapses in concentration due to captaincy worries while batting he's out

dude look at the huge difference a confident cook made to eng. when he was under pressure whole side looked disastrous. when he got bit of confidence from 95 the whole outlook changed. when your captain doesnt give a sh*t about test result why should juniors

well said

Edited by Chewie

If we lose last test too very badly, with no changes in tactics, then I too will become Dhoni basher. For replacement test captain, we don't have an option. Maybe Ashwin?

why should result matter? thats the wrong way to judge things. besides look at the 'process' not results (as dhoni would say).

btw, i am not a dhoni basher. think he has an admirable zen attitude to life & he's good in LOI's. but that same cool demeanor which works for him in LOI's is a huge disadvantage in tests where one has to make things happen.

i dont think he particularly likes tests. also he's tactically very poor.

one illogical move (joginder sharma) worked for him by fluke & he thinks thats the way to go. for eg that damned leg slip of his throughout in every single match when not a single catch has been taken there nor has it saved any runs

Edited by Chewie

In the current team I dont think so anyone can captain as of now ... they will choke and lose even badly ... there is till one more match to be played and the series isnt lost yet ...

In recent past no one except ganguly has captained well ... the test team is relatively inexperienced and give them sometime ...

All of Virat's centuries have come only in the first or last test of a series.

Some hope for him at Oval. But none of his centuries abroad have led to a India win. So even if he scores at Oval, India dont have much hope

Edited by Chewie

• AtheK changed the title to The Old Cricket Thread
  • AtheK locked this topic