The Android Thread

pArth

Auto remote allows to share urls or send commands and I setup tasks in tasker to take action on those. e.g. cheapcast cant do tab casting yet. I use tasker and autoremote to send urls to odroid and tasker then takes appropriate action on url. cheapcast works for me. The thing that's broken is that it doesn't work on ethernet, only on wifi. I'm using a self-compiled version patched to work with ethernet (I use a ethernet to wifi adapter for odroid. The usb wifi adapter sucks on bw).

BTW, I also use leapcast on my PCs. With leapcast and autoremote chrome extension, i can send content from phone to PC as well :P. I also send all my notifications, calls, messages etc to my PC using auto remote.

All I could understand was blah blah blah Tasker.... blah blah blah Cheapcast.. blah blah blah Tasker... blah blah blah Tasker ethernet wifi... blah blah blah leapcast PC.. blah blah blah... :fear:

Auto remote allows to share urls or send commands and I setup tasks in tasker to take action on those. e.g. cheapcast cant do tab casting yet. I use tasker and autoremote to send urls to odroid and tasker then takes appropriate action on url. cheapcast works for me. The thing that's broken is that it doesn't work on ethernet, only on wifi. I'm using a self-compiled version patched to work with ethernet (I use a ethernet to wifi adapter for odroid. The usb wifi adapter sucks on bw).

BTW, I also use leapcast on my PCs. With leapcast and autoremote chrome extension, i can send content from phone to PC as well :P. I also send all my notifications, calls, messages etc to my PC using auto remote.

:good:

I understand that you send urls to the odroid using Tasker and AutoRemote, but what does the Tasker do with that url on Odroid? Odroid basically opens up the same URL in its browser?

Also, I said cheapcast is broken because I remember reading that the latest update to Chromecast removed functionality to allow playing local files. I wasn't even aware of the ethernet/Wifi thing :P

edit: :hug: for taking the time to explain things as usual

Edited by Somebody

^^

For tasker/autoremote, if I send just a plain url, it will just try to open it in browser. But I also have customized commands that can be prepended to the url (or send any text in clipboard) with a right click in chrome. When it receives this, it can strip the url/text, take out parameters and then take custom action. e.g. if I can send a shutdown command, or a command to open a particular video link directly in a player instead of opening up chrome for the website, or adding a notification/todo, etc.

yes, cheapcast doesn't play local content. For that I use xbmc (for stuff stored on ondroid or on router or elsewhere). This is controlled through either yatse remote on phone or xbmc web remote on chrome. I also use xbmc for playing various other things that i subscribe to (e.g. serials through xbmc plugins)

^^

For tasker/autoremote, if I send just a plain url, it will just try to open it in browser. But I also have customized commands that can be prepended to the url (or send any text in clipboard) with a right click in chrome. When it receives this, it can strip the url/text, take out parameters and then take custom action. e.g. if I can send a shutdown command, or a command to open a particular video link directly in a player instead of opening up chrome for the website, or adding a notification/todo, etc.

yes, cheapcast doesn't play local content. For that I use xbmc (for stuff stored on ondroid or on router or elsewhere). This is controlled through either yatse remote on phone or xbmc web remote on chrome. I also use xbmc for playing various other things that i subscribe to (e.g. serials through xbmc plugins)

Yup.. that's how I watch files that are on my Network drive too. Yatse Remote + xbmc (rasp pi) :good:

:scratchchin: interesting. So, you have commands flying around between your PC, android phone and odroid to do several things. How did you do the "right-click in chrome to prepend to the url" thing? Autoremote or some other extension for Chrome maybe? Thanks

^^ autoremote extension for chrome. This little guy has simplified a lot of stuff for me. Before it came along, I was doing this through my own app + webserver and a command line tool (+nautilus extension for right click) and it wasn't very reliable.

^^ autoremote extension for chrome. This little guy has simplified a lot of stuff for me. Before it came along, I was doing this through my own app + webserver and a command line tool (+nautilus extension for right click) and it wasn't very reliable.

:hug: Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot sometime this weekend then :cheers:

ya let me change his display name to Shantasker

:majesty: do it!