Gaming Headphones Guide & Discussion.

playstation

I am in search for a headset to go with my PC for gaming. Kindly help me out. Budget Rs.2000-5000

Currently looking at:

Roccat Kave

SS Siberia V1/V2

Also Audiotechina AD700 but that is too expensive

I would like it to be light and comfortable for long usage.

I am in search for a headset to go with my PC for gaming. Kindly help me out. Budget Rs.2000-5000

Currently looking at:

Roccat Kave

SS Siberia V1/V2

Also Audiotechina AD700 but that is too expensive

I would like it to be light and comfortable for long usage.

I am a proud owner of AD700... The cans are massive but light as a feather. Sound fidelity is amazing. Soundstage is epic but as they are open backed headphones, they leak a lot of noise and lack punchy bass... Nonetheless, they are amazing! :)

I am a proud owner of AD700... The cans are massive but light as a feather. Sound fidelity is amazing. Soundstage is epic but as they are open backed headphones, they leak a lot of noise and lack punchy bass... Nonetheless, they are amazing! :)

hey bro, why go for open backed ones then??

I have 4Gamers Headphones CP PRO.. for PS3(officially licensed) That are good Quality...

But as it is middle cup sized.. after wearing 2-3 hours my ears use to pain.. n can't wear anymore....... :thumbdown:

I also have Px100 II for ipod.. they are damn good.. i can wear them for long as 5-6 hours... :wOOtjumpy:

Bass is fabulous & Quality can't be matched...

Oh nice "surround certified headphones" :slap:

AFAIK the processing in ALL the above sets is Dolby Headphone. No headphone itself is surround. The only ways that a gaming phone can be made better than a normal one I'm aware of are:

1. Emphasize "gaming" sounds -- footsteps etc (good for MP but ruins the music/movie/SP application)

2. If they can be made to work like the stuff used in the real world (boost low sounds but reduce very loud sounds - again good only for MP)

3. Addition of an inbuilt mic (again mostly MP)

As for the "true" surround: that also has to be some form of processing. I don't think that "multiple drivers" so close to the ear can make stuff sound 5.1 without help. And where is the .1 part?

Open/closed: if you have a reasonably quiet area (where no one else can get disturbed), the opens allow a little bit of sound from both channels to mix. Closed ones do not. Different people have different preferences.

Virtualization: as Noctis said, much better than most people realize. But different people get different results. This is because things like Dolby Headphone are designed to work for most people, and cannot be customized.

Recommended: buy a good pair of headphones and the processing unit separately. The headphone market is more competitive and offers better quality at each price point. The IGN article sounds like an ad.

hey bro, why go for open backed ones then??

Sound is one very personal mofo :bigyellowgrin: so YMMV

soundstages are larger in open-backed phones; when mixed with a good amp, they'll beat any 5.1 gaming headphone setup :) gaming headphones seem more like a gimmick to me...the only useful addition they have is a mic. Plus, in the 5-7k it takes to get a Roccat Kave, for instance, you can comfortably get a Audio Technica AD700/Shure SRH 840. Ad another 7k for a good amp (Fiio E7/Audinst MX1) and you're set for both gaming & music nirvana

I wouldn't recomment a shure for him, the ad700 however is :good:

and as for amps, he could get much better than the e7 for 7k and the e7 itself is for 4-5k

and yes i agree gaming headphones are a gimmick, attach a mic to any decent headphone and it's a gaming one

I was looking at the Senn HD518 before I decided to get into a 5.1 capable gaming headset (ok 5.0). Should I just stick with stereo audiophile cans?

I like a decent amount of bass and hence can't sacrifice it. Sound leakage is not a problem. They should be comfortable and soft on the ears.

made this thread to do all the discussion abt gaming headphones...Posted some guides too...Please Discuss all gaming headphones related queries here.

Popular ones:-

1) Tritton Ax- 720

2) Tritton Ax pro

3) Astro- A 40

Here is a nice video comparing the Astros, Ax Pro, Ax360's and the Ax720's...

The AX Pro's are the best...even the test video says it :P

Sound is one very personal mofo :bigyellowgrin: so YMMV

soundstages are larger in open-backed phones; when mixed with a good amp, they'll beat any 5.1 gaming headphone setup :) gaming headphones seem more like a gimmick to me...the only useful addition they have is a mic. Plus, in the 5-7k it takes to get a Roccat Kave, for instance, you can comfortably get a Audio Technica AD700/Shure SRH 840. Ad another 7k for a good amp (Fiio E7/Audinst MX1) and you're set for both gaming & music nirvana

I wouldn't recomment a shure for him, the ad700 however is :good:

and as for amps, he could get much better than the e7 for 7k and the e7 itself is for 4-5k

and yes i agree gaming headphones are a gimmick, attach a mic to any decent headphone and it's a gaming one

there is one Audio technia Ath A 700 also...which is closed backed...and it is same thing...and according to reviews it too has epic soundstage...

there is one Audio technia Ath A 700 also...which is closed backed...and it is same thing...and according to reviews it too has epic soundstage...

hmm maybe the soundstage isn't that impacted by the change and possibly the bass has been improved, so might be worth a shot

however i'm not aware of that model :fear:

hmm maybe the soundstage isn't that impacted by the change and possibly the bass has been improved, so might be worth a shot

however i'm not aware of that model :fear:

A900 might be a better option over the A700.

But unless outside sound interference is a problem I would recommend open cans.

I have never used open cans but the way you guys put it ....sound leaks and all...i get this idea that it is aint that good choice ...abt outside sound interference ....i am more worried abt inside sound oging out...wont it be same thing....people gonna get disturbed if open cans leaks sound....the basic purpose of gaming headphones is basically to enjoy in insolation so as not to disturb anyone .

Depending on the model sound leaks can be very minute. So unless you plan to play in the bedroom where your family is sleeping it won't disturb then. On the other hand open can headphones almost always gives better quality sound for the same price.

And IMO you should try out various headphones yourself first, because its very tough to make recommendations based on what you read online. You should definitely find most of the Sens model with a local retailer. And probably some of the others at the grey depending on your luck.

Depending on the model sound leaks can be very minute. So unless you plan to play in the bedroom where your family is sleeping it won't disturb then. On the other hand open can headphones almost always gives better quality sound for the same price.

And IMO you should try out various headphones yourself first, because its very tough to make recommendations based on what you read online. You should definitely find most of the Sens model with a local retailer. And probably some of the others at the grey depending on your luck.

okay.

Archived