The Android Thread

pArth

This is superb : http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/

Available for order in US now for $35 https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromecast

Anyone travelling back from US sometime soon, I foresee a group IVG order for this. I'm in.

pardon the noobishness but how is it different from using NFC, or using built in streaming capabilities in newer tvs or just something like Asus O play which is like a hdd/video player when connected to the tv with hdmi.

Is the usp here that it is compatible with all tvs, phones, laptops, tabs or is there anything more to it ?

Also how does streaming stuff from any device to the tv works using just the built in tv capabilities and wifi (matlab no 3rd device or signal other than wifi) ? This is something i never understood properly.

_

Edited by Nemo

Sony the first company to announce 4.3 roadmap, news awaited from Samsung and HTC. Xperia Z in the list.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_announces_the_devices_that_will_get_android_43_jelly_bean-news-6458.php

Though i think they should have skipped 4.3 and directly updated to 5.

pardon the noobishness but how is it different from using NFC, or using built in streaming capabilities in newer tvs or just something like Asus O play which is like a hdd/video player when connected to the tv with hdmi.

Is the usp here that it is compatible with all tvs, phones, laptops, tabs or is there anything more to it ?

Also how does streaming stuff from any device to the tv works using just the built in tv capabilities and wifi (matlab no 3rd device or signal other than wifi) ? This is something i never understood properly.

untitle.JPG

The advantage here is that the actual device which serves as source of the content (Windows PC, Android phone, Ipad, etc.) provides for excellent access to content and media playback support. You can directly playback Youtube, do web browsing, etc. using a $35 device on ANY display that has HDMI in (imagine an HD projector as well, no more cable hassle). That is what makes this so much win.

Example : You can use a wireless controller (e.g. DS3) on your android phone via bluetooth, and with Chromecast you can broadcast it on your big screen TV.

At present the capabilities will be limited but since the app will be part of Android source, we can expect this to serve as a no-limits streaming device soon.

As for newer "smart" TVs, they don't account for more than a small percentage of TVs in households. Which is why this will have a good market available to tap.

well water damage will usually mean mainboard impacted, if they are replacing it with new battery and mainboard, make sure you ask them the old parts back. Also i do not see a reason to sell it and get a new one, why would you want to go through more loss.

Will do that but why? :|

Yeah will keep it then.They also reduced the warranty to 3 months. <_<

My brother has to go to hell for this. :P

:console:

It happens :(

Remebering tye time when I purchased Xperia X1 wimdows Wala @40 k

And I dropped in water bucket and quickly had to sell it for 6k

Very bad experience

Yeah man.sh*t happens.

Atleast I will be getting my phone back in working condition.

Chill out , its just a small update .

Nothing revolutionary .

It's not a small update by any means. The OTA file weighs in around 169 MB and there are quite a few changes under the hood. I've been running it since morning and the phone's much smoother all over. Battery life also seems to be improved. I've done over 1.5 GB data tfr over wifi, 3.5 hrs of screen time, lot of video/audio playback, emails/twitter/fb etc and still im at 49%.

For those looking to update, if you are stock, then just download the ota file from here: http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_mako/ebc8bad23772b5fd6e2907e48b4c74ba0ed58f21.signed-occam-JWR66V-from-JDQ39.ebc8bad2.zip

If you are completely stock, or unlocked/rooted but havent made any system file changes, you can just adb sideload it.

If the above fails, just flash the factory images from here https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Download the image, untar it, open the flash_all.bat/sh file and remove the "-w" from the last fastboot command to avoid wiping. Then open the zip file and delete userdata.img. Put your phone in fastboot and run flash_all.bat/sh. voila!!

@piper

Thanks dude. Much appreciated. The hd projecter adaptability is surely a game changer.

So my htc one dropped out of pocket into sand. car went over it and guess what, not even a scratch.

Lulzy!! Chek kar le, HTC ke dabbe mein Nokia diya hoga XD

Massive luck though.

Chill out , its just a small update .Nothing revolutionary .It's not a small update by any means. The OTA file weighs in around 169 MB and there are quite a few changes under the hood. I've been running it since morning and the phone's much smoother all over. Battery life also seems to be improved. I've done over 1.5 GB data tfr over wifi, 3.5 hrs of screen time, lot of video/audio playback, emails/twitter/fb etc and still im at 49%.For those looking to update, if you are stock, then just download the ota file from here: http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_mako/ebc8bad23772b5fd6e2907e48b4c74ba0ed58f21.signed-occam-JWR66V-from-JDQ39.ebc8bad2.zipIf you are completely stock, or unlocked/rooted but havent made any system file changes, you can just adb sideload it.If the above fails, just flash the factory images from here https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/imagesDownload the image, untar it, open the flash_all.bat/sh file and remove the "-w" from the last fastboot command to avoid wiping. Then open the zip file and delete userdata.img. Put your phone in fastboot and run flash_all.bat/sh. voila!!

Dayyum you hyped it up big time :P

Forgive me shanti :panic:

I meant a common man won't even notice the difference between a phone running 4.2 and 4.3 :fear:

@piper

Thanks dude. Much appreciated. The hd projecter adaptability is surely a game changer.

Lulzy!! Chek kar le, HTC ke dabbe mein Nokia diya hoga XD

Massive luck though.

Nah man the phone in itself is pretty durable and tough.

This chromecast is on ChomeOS or Android?

I mean any brave soul out there to port it for....OUYA. Can finally make some use of 120$ junk.

They havent said anything about that yet. I think it could be chrome since essentially whatever they were doing was being done in chrome and the SDK/APIs also point to javascript based APIs for the receiver side apps.

It should be possible to reverse engineer it to port (or at least emulate) the same on other arm devices. If you want to get some of the basic functionality right now, you can use autoremote and tasker.