Microsoft Surface

b!T

'Surface' is a stupid name for a tablet .... if MS supports ability to develop content / write code etc, maybe the pro version will some some .... other wise, dont understand who'll want to buy a 1kg tablet !

It's still much better than naming a product after woman's hygiene product :lol:

The RT tablet is 670g which is a true tablet

It is Surface pro which is 903g (Still not 1 kg) .. It is more of a laptop than a tablet

Stop quoting out of context

WinRT is the obvious one Microsoft will spend all their marketing might on. It is the one they expect to be the iPad competitor, their volume tablet business. Price, battery life and display is key here. I dont think 1366x768 will cut it when u get a tablet at greater than full HD today.

The Win8 pro tabs are probably just for a niche audience and enterprises . But i doubt it'll succeed if its 1 kg in weight and thick. Sorry to say, no one wants full windows on a touch screen. Full windows experience on touch is pretty crap. Its not meant to be used with fingers

The battery life of RT tablets by Asus is 18 hours (much more than the iPad)

So even surface will have battery life somewhere near to it

Price - Will be surely lower than iPad or MS is doomed

Apps/UI - Much better experience than the static iOS icons .. More than one app can be stiched into the screen and work simultaneously

Display - Lower than the iPad .. Display is surely not a major criteria for buying product or else Galaxy S2 wouldnt have outsold Iphone

About Surface Pro .. It looks like a niche segment now

But all the future ultrabooks are gonna have a touch screen

It will act more as a full fledged laptop with awesomesauce touchcreen tablet

And the new ribbon UI on desktop is specifically made keeping touch in the mind and looks and works like a Bauss .. B)

Its a Laptop. :lol:

iPad Killer,my asss.

The keyboard is an accessory not a part of it

And surely Surface isn't an iPad killer but it surely will kill Android tabs

The good ol days of Microsoft vs Apple :wub:

The pro version is inline with ultrabook pcs, and it will be lightest amongst them.

But ya DS is right on the money about RT version...

Edit: nevermind.

THIS !!!!

Surface Pro will take away a major share from ultrabooks

I think that was awesome. :D

it has gorilla glass, yes.

But who is going to be the OEM? B&A or Samsung or Sony?

Ofcourse Microsoft's mobile division previously known as Nokia

Price????

Gorilla glass?

Really ?? Gorilla Glass ??

That's your criteria

Death Stryke point to be noted .. :P

Ofcourse Microsoft's mobile division previously known as Nokia

Aren't they laying off thousands already? :lol:

I am not sure if they are going to hand it to Nokia, especially for the Pro version. Will be interesting, if they market it like Xbox/Zune.

@Zeehunter, just curious, do you own WP7 / X360 :P ?

:|

Die beech ..

Hope you won't be apologized by God for your sin

Aren't they laying off thousands already? :lol:

I am not sure if they are going to hand it to Nokia, especially for the Pro version. Will be interesting, if they market it like Xbox/Zune.

Out of 10,000 people that are going to be laid .

Almost all of them are related to the software division .. That shows where the future is going

The rest of the people are laid in European factories and their counterparts are hired in Asian factories

Their hardware division is still strong as it was before .. They are just redesigning it :P

@Neo ufff :P Obviously WP7. Win8, however bad or good it is, its irrelevant because it will still sell tens of millions of licenses in desktops and laptops. Its the tablet form factor which I am skeptic about

The battery life of RT tablets by Asus is 18 hours (much more than the iPad)

So even surface will have battery life somewhere near to it

Price - Will be surely lower than iPad or MS is doomed

Apps/UI - Much better experience than the static iOS icons .. More than one app can be stiched into the screen and work simultaneously

Display - Lower than the iPad .. Display is surely not a major criteria for buying product or else Galaxy S2 wouldnt have outsold Iphone

About Surface Pro .. It looks like a niche segment now

But all the future ultrabooks are gonna have a touch screen

It will act more as a full fledged laptop with awesomesauce touchcreen tablet

And the new ribbon UI on desktop is specifically made keeping touch in the mind and looks and works like a Bauss .. B)

The keyboard is an accessory not a part of it

And surely Surface isn't an iPad killer but it surely will kill Android tabs

The good ol days of Microsoft vs Apple :wub:

18 hours? That has to be with a dock right? No way in hell is that without the dock. In that case i'd include docks made for the iPad as well which enhance its battery.

Bhai, I am not going to argue about WinRT and tiles and sh*t. WinRT is seeming to be just to be an extension of WP with its closed enviroment and microsoft certified app store only apps and that accessories such as mice and kbds for WinRT need to be MS certified. Basically going the Apple way but only one company is successful going the Apple way of locking everything down and that is..Apple!

So far, all this talk of WP being so awesome has not really translated in any results. Nokia is in the gutter today or rather circling the drain and its basically hoping for Microsoft to revive it, or better yet buy it off.

Anyway, more than that, its the confusing names and linenups of products that I feel in the future might become MS's biggest headache when both RT and Pro versions are sold next to each other.

Also, i've read articles saying that MS has kicked OEMs like HP and Dell in the nuts. Yes, MS has. Squarely and badly. Are they pissed and upset? Yes. Can they do anything about it? No. Its the sad state of companies like HP and Dell. There is basically no money to be made just being an OEM today. And its not like they can ditch Microsoft and go anywhere else. What MS did today was a right move though. PC hardware was stagnating and MS couldn't risk letting companies like Dell or HP set the standards for HW. Now Dell and HP will be forced to make something better than what Microsoft showed today. The intra-competition between them may kill a few OEMs, the sureshot winner will be Microsoft and whoever survives the hardware battle.

Also this :P

verge-lb-695.jpg

really interested, would be awesome to pickup a pro version to replace my current laptop

+ get integrated xbox live and achievements for games.......clapping.gif

Display - Lower than the iPad ..

That is a misnomer. The new iPad has a higher resolution, however the actual usable resolution is still 1024x768 because iOS uses the extra resolution to make on screen objects appear clearer and sharper rather than providing more screen real estate. However, Windows 8 treats screen resolution as native resolution, meaning that the Surface RT actually has a much higher usable resolution at 1366x768 or 1280x720 than the new iPad.

http://gizmodo.com/5919459/hands-on-with-microsoft-surface-for-windows-rt

Hands On With Microsoft Surface for Windows RT

[/url]Microsoft's event today was . RAM? We dunno. Processor speed? We dunno. Price? We dunno. Release date? We dunno. But even avery brief hands-on made something abundantly clear: It's a super solid device and if Microsoft can deliver what it demoed, the iPad finally has a real competitor and Android has a big goddamn problem.

Microsoft kept touting build quality, and for good reason: the Windows RT Surface tablet is solid and stunning. Attention to detail is positively amazing, and it's so well designed from every angle that it's just a joy to look at. The keyboard is so thin it seems made from fabric. The lines are gorgeous, and it's a well-balanced device that you'll be able to hold for extended sessions. It is, certainly, easier to hang on to than any of the three generations of iPads to date. The screen is bright and vivid, and the viewing angle is as wide as you could reasonably expect to hold it. Even the kickstand that lets it sit upright, which seemed kind of, well, dumb onstage was a fantastic touch once we saw it in person and attached to the keyboard.

It's also fast and responsive. When we flipped through an app, going from snap state to full screen, it blazed faster than your average reggae band in Humboldt County. Touching led to instant firing. We don't know what kind of processor or RAM is in there (mysterious!) but it's ground-up quick.

And then there's typing on it. We couldn't do that! Notably, every single Surface tablet Microsoft let us put our hands on either was turned off, or didn't have a keyboard connected. I kept hearing how quickly you could type on it—"I did 63 word per minute the first time I used it," one Microsoft employee told me—but there was no way to try this out for ourselves.

So. Yes. It's awesome. It's going to be fantastic. Google had better step things up at IO, because this Windows RT tablet is far more impressive than any shipping Android tablet I've ever seen. It's a clear rival to the iPad. Or at least, so it seems. We'll see. Can't wait for Fall.

Archived