Diablo 3

Aftrunner

NOOB question is there a lvl cap for your character?

do legendary items and blacksmith and jeweler recipes/tomes drop only in nightmare difficulty onwards ? cause i am now at end of act 3 and not a single legendary drop or crafting tomes on normal 1 time playthrough!

is it worth playing coop in normal mode just to farm equipment ? or should i move on to nightmare coop once i am done with the final act ??

for barbarians what kind of stats do i need to stack to survive in nightmare? right now lvl 32 barb in act 3

level cap is 60.

legendary items can drop anywhere in the game. to level up your crafting, you will get pages etc. on higher difficulties.

move on to nightmare. normal gear is useless. and co-op is really the only way to play this game.

you need strength and vitality, but mostly strength. i finished normal as a barb with 250dps, but then i upgraded via the ah to 450. that's a good place to start nightmare.

For Barbs, I'd suggest focusing more on Vit than Str.

You have a decent amount of stuns, debuffs and crowd control to not worry much about damage output at this stage while your Vit lets you stand toe-to-toe with tougher opponents.

Even in later difficulties, Vit will be more useful as mobs will be hitting you for 30k damage per hit. You will need all the Vit you can get to be able to survive long enough to rush in, stun and debuff mobs then leap out while your party deals the actual damage.

You probably know this by now but each point in Vit gives 10HP.

Also each point in Vit can potentially be translated into a flat armor upgrade if you use the Nerves of Steel passive. So that's nice.

Edited by Saumil

you don't need to care much about vitality until you get to hell. before that, high strength builds will give you higher dps which is just more fun to play. you can even dual wield weapons in early difficulties, which is not really viable once you get to inferno. don't ignore vitality completely, but if you keep using revenge to return hp + the passive that converts 3% damage to life, you'll be able to manage just fine with a high strength build.

I personally find high VIT/low DPS battles much more satisfying and drawn out.

Also you don't have to use up precious passive slots to overcome your low health when there are other more fun alternatives.

Like one build I am eying is Ruthless + Weapons Mastery + a good one-handed mace as your main.

15% chance to crit with 100% extra damage (discounting all the other awesome stuff that has crit-trigger dependencies as a Barb).

Couple that with some good crit-boosting gear and your Berserker form will have an obscene amount of crit-chance. You'll be a boss-nuke on legs with the VIT to be able to take as much as you dish out :D.

Edited by Saumil

Any of you starting fresh, dont play a barb , other classes will be hard to learn and master but once do learn them , you wont get stuck at inferno, all you will need a decent weapon and skills to kite.

I thought as much. That's why I abandoned my Lvl 13 Barb and restarted as a Monk. He's at Lvl 21 now and a serious killing machine. Forego shields and just dual wield to bring the pain. With his high dexterity, critical chance and martial arts moves, he's an absolute joy to watch. i wish i could record some of my gameplay sessions in Act 2 just to show off the Monk's ballet of destruction. If there ever was an appropriate use for the term "death dealer", he is it.

All this on Normal, of course :fear:

Currently in hell act 1 with a wizard on the asia server.

Have orphaned chars in the 30s sitting on the US. Stopped playing because of Error Number 1 on Asia.

As good as this game is, it sure is very frustrating.

edit: A good way to make money fast is to bid on legendary items for cheap and then sell them at a good profit :)

For instance i got the broken staff legendary item for 3.4k on AH and sold it back for 38k :D

Edited by xenophon

i'm completely obsessed with this game :P. this doesn't happen very often for me... last game like this was skyrim, and then before that was assassins creed 2 in 2010. i've finished diablo 3 4 times in the 2 weeks that it has been out, which is unprecedented for me. i can't remember the last game i finished twice, let alone 4 times.

seriously though, the periods between late may to june and late december to mid january are always relatively light for me in terms of work load in my job. d3 just happened to release at exactly the right time for me to exploit that.

well then import from uk i guess. or just buy from battle.net. it really is the simplest option.

I am not surprised with the response to D3 ... for me playing D3 was an after thought and now i have finished till Act 1 on Inferno on DH and half way through Act 2 .. its kinda getting unplayable atm just dieing a bit few many times ... need to get better gear before i can even think of progressin further .. also have reached Act 2 hell mode on my Barb he is 54. Done all this and i still feel i havnt spent enough time on this game yet... what! just a mere 100 hours thats absolutely nothing in terms of game time on a blizz game for me. Least i have spent in game time was on Starcraft 2 ... cause i spent more time researchin strats on the game than rather playing it. I enjoy watchin Starcraft more than i do playin it .. i guess it matters with the skill level as well. Not as great at RTS wasnt great at Warcraft 3 either. But must have watched almost every MLG tournie in the past year My fav player Marineking !! (biased i play Terran as well)

I thought as much. That's why I abandoned my Lvl 13 Barb and restarted as a Monk. He's at Lvl 21 now and a serious killing machine. Forego shields and just dual wield to bring the pain. With his high dexterity, critical chance and martial arts moves, he's an absolute joy to watch. i wish i could record some of my gameplay sessions in Act 2 just to show off the Monk's ballet of destruction. If there ever was an appropriate use for the term "death dealer", he is it.

All this on Normal, of course :fear:

hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the reason barbs are f**ked at higher levels are because they are melee and not because they have some problems with abilities. and guess what, your monk is going to have the same problems as a barb does. ranged classes like dh and wiz have it slightly better because they can do damage from range and kite a little bit before getting killed in one hit. melee have to be in close range to do damage and they can't survive the incoming damage in inferno. you're level 21 right now, so you must be in act 2. you know those yellow-green wasps that fly around in the first area and fire straight lines of 4 tiny insects at you? in inferno, each of those tiny insects hits for 30,000 damage. those tiny things can kill me in 1 hit.

finally killed the butcher in inferno last night. took 2 hours of attempts to manage it. cost me 50,000 gold in repairs and potions. and i had to buy a new 200,000 gold weapon so that i could increase my dps so that we could finally kill him. the difficulty spikes in inferno are absurd. most of the trash goes down easily, and about half the champion packs and elites are hard but manageable. the other half, however, are virtually invicible. no matter what you do, you cannot find a way to kill them. and in act 2 you really need to have a good sense of humor because you will die so many times. damn.

hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the reason barbs are f**ked at higher levels are because they are melee and not because they have some problems with abilities. and guess what, your monk is going to have the same problems as a barb does. ranged classes like dh and wiz have it slightly better because they can do damage from range and kite a little bit before getting killed in one hit. melee have to be in close range to do damage and they can't survive the incoming damage in inferno. you're level 21 right now, so you must be in act 2. you know those yellow-green wasps that fly around in the first area and fire straight lines of 4 tiny insects at you? in inferno, each of those tiny insects hits for 30,000 damage. those tiny things can kill me in 1 hit.

finally killed the butcher in inferno last night. took 2 hours of attempts to manage it. cost me 50,000 gold in repairs and potions. and i had to buy a new 200,000 gold weapon so that i could increase my dps so that we could finally kill him. the difficulty spikes in inferno are absurd. most of the trash goes down easily, and about half the champion packs and elites are hard but manageable. the other half, however, are virtually invicible. no matter what you do, you cannot find a way to kill them. and in act 2 you really need to have a good sense of humor because you will die so many times. damn.

i say you should play what you enjoi .. i actually quit a DH in act 2 in inferno and started a Barb(now 54) .. coz they are just so much fun to play ... i have not even gone for shield combos and i have killed in Hell and finished with butcher .. i am going full dps barb with double swrods and the fun killin things is 10 times more than kiting endless in Smoke screen DH ... yes DH kill things in inferno easy like i have Act 1 on farm takes about 30 min to do a Gold item farm run in act 1 inferno .. with my friends a Monk and another DH ... though we have insane Dps my gear being crappy have around 35k dps and my friend around 50k+ so we get thru till Butcher with maybe a couple of wipes at most (due to some insane Blue pack combos) easy .. yes my friend monk (his dps is around 15 k and resist at 520 to all) has trouble going past the wisp phase in Act 2 coz it is near impossible for melle to dodge them. But i am going to take my Barb to inferno and then maybe lvl a WD or Wiz ... going for the Ach for all classes at 60 :P ... and then i will look to progress to Act 2 in inferno :) .. but of all classes played .. bit of everything ... Barbs are the most satisfying in a D3 setting, that is if you like to RPG a bit in a RPG game .. and not all about optimization of Mathematical numbers. And yes you need a lot of sense of Humor coz death in a given in Inferno range or melle .. those Mortar shots kinda 2 hit me with a 42k HP DH ... Inferno is for Hardcore Co Op play.

i say you should play what you enjoi .. i actually quit a DH in act 2 in inferno and started a Barb(now 54) .. coz they are just so much fun to play ... i have not even gone for shield combos and i have killed in Hell and finished with butcher .. i am going full dps barb with double swrods and the fun killin things is 10 times more than kiting endless in Smoke screen DH ... yes DH kill things in inferno easy like i have Act 1 on farm takes about 30 min to do a Gold item farm run in act 1 inferno .. with my friends a Monk and another DH ... though we have insane Dps my gear being crappy have around 35k dps and my friend around 50k+ so we get thru till Butcher with maybe a couple of wipes at most (due to some insane Blue pack combos) easy .. yes my friend monk (his dps is around 15 k and resist at 520 to all) has trouble going past the wisp phase in Act 2 coz it is near impossible for melle to dodge them. But i am going to take my Barb to inferno and then maybe lvl a WD or Wiz ... going for the Ach for all classes at 60 :P ... and then i will look to progress to Act 2 in inferno :) .. but of all classes played .. bit of everything ... Barbs are the most satisfying in a D3 setting, that is if you like to RPG a bit in a RPG game .. and not all about optimization of Mathematical numbers. And yes you need a lot of sense of Humor coz death in a given in Inferno range or melle .. those Mortar shots kinda 2 hit me with a 42k HP DH ... Inferno is for Hardcore Co Op play.

what about a throwing barb?? that could work?

but im still in hell so havent experienced inferno

damn!! got my a$$ handed to me today in nightmare in act 1!! died 6 times in an hour!! my gear is so useless!! barb lvl 34 my weapon dps is 56 :raygun: using shield and sword combo with frenzy as primary- the yellow colored enemies (mini bosses ?) are so difficult to solo- had to run around to escape their hits then wait for my eaarth quake ability to recharge :blush: then use stun and earthquake combo that way enemies remain in the area and take damage!! my armor right now is plain useless gear is worth 500 armor i guess ,so i am just gonna farm act 1 for a while!! u guys wanna share any tactics for a barb to survive ?

that's boring as f**k. no wonder you're taking 30 hours to finish one act <_<

Low DPS obviously doesn't mean huge fall-offs just to accommodate a few thousand HP. 50% lesser DPS in exchange for massive defenses is where it's at for Barbs.

Every Barb who is Inferno ready right now is high VIT/low DPS. I don't think they even need to go beyond ~15k DPS as it stands now, their buffs and crits manage to almost double that while their equipment focuses on VIT and crit-chance.

Yes, they kill somewhat slowly but what a joy to watch as they constantly keep whirlwinding/channeling fury in an almost permanent Berserker form which btw is immune to Jailers/stuns and all other movement impairing effects.

On the flip side, a high DPS/low VIT Barb is as useful as a melee Wizard.

I thought as much. That's why I abandoned my Lvl 13 Barb and restarted as a Monk.

So to avoid the Act-2 Inferno brickwall, your solution was to switch from Barb to Monk? Right, I am the noob :\.

I knew full well what I was getting into as a Barb and mine won't be any good at Inferno anytime soon. But he's just too much fun to play everywhere else.

Edited by Saumil

Every Barb who is Inferno ready right now is high VIT/low DPS.

the operative word being 'inferno ready'. at that stage you have no choice but to go with the crappy option. but until at least nightmare, you can play the much more fun high dps barb setup.

damn!! got my a$ handed to me today in nightmare in act 1!! died 6 times in an hour!! my gear is so useless!! barb lvl 34 my weapon dps is 56 :raygun:

Level 34 and 56 DPS? WHAT? How in the world are killing the monsters?

pro tip: If you haven't invested in the blacksmith, do so - the crafted material can be pretty good. Also you can get some excellent stuff in AH if you know how to find them Set the minimum stats that you want, and search for items with low buyout prices. I'd skip bids, you'll find that artificial hikes in bids way too often.

Also, vitality is a must, else the elites/blues will slaughter you - esp the monsters with desecration & arcane & molten skills.

And this comes from a (now level) 40 Monk with ~9k health & 610 DPS