Pachter: PS3, Xbox 360 cuts likely at E3

Pachter: PS3, Xbox 360 cuts likely at E3

Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter has rolled out his notes and predictions on console hardware sales, including the possibility of price cuts for the PS3 and Xbox 360 as soon as E3.

The price reduction predictions stem from lagging sales from both consoles; and even with the cuts, Pachter expects sales to be down during the upcoming holiday season.

"We expect hardware sales to rebound once price cuts are implemented, but expect a recurrence of the dip next holiday, partially buffered by some modest contribution from the introduction of the PS Vita in February and the Wii U later this year,” Pachter stated as part of the Wedbush NPD March preview.

The analyst added he doesn’t expect a next-gen announcement from Microsoft arriving before the Xbox 360 dips below $200.

“Recent slowing of Xbox 360 hardware sales could cause Microsoft to consider a price cut by E3. We do not expect an announcement of a next- generation console from Microsoft until the Xbox 360 core model is priced below $200, likely around this time next year.

“PS3 hardware sales should continue to lag those of the Xbox 360, and we expect sales to trend downward by 10 - 20% monthly, until Sony cuts prices once again, likely at E3."

E3 2012 takes place June 5th-7th in Los Angeles.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pachter-ps3-xbox-360-cuts-likely-at-e3/094143

Seems like a bad idea to buy a Wii now of all times TBH. Might as well wait for the price on WiiU to come out. Rumors are going around that it might be 300USD. And you know it will have backwards comparability. Plus there is a good chance there will be Wii games on the WiiU marketplace equivalent which will work out to be cheaper than importing Wii games ATM.

Even if Wii goes to 99$ (which seems VERY unlikely, 129.99 is the best you can hope for) its still not a sensible purchase considering its dead in the water already as far as games are concerned.

Unless, you want it to do "other" things. :naughty:

Seems like a bad idea to buy a Wii now of all times TBH. Might as well wait for the price on WiiU to come out. Rumors are going around that it might be 300USD. And you know it will have backwards comparability. Plus there is a good chance there will be Wii games on the WiiU marketplace equivalent which will work out to be cheaper than importing Wii games ATM.

Even if Wii goes to 99$ (which seems VERY unlikely, 129.99 is the best you can hope for) its still not a sensible purchase considering its dead in the water already as far as games are concerned.

Unless, you want it to do "other" things. :naughty:

people here who planning to buy wii now probably not buying it for any current games anyways....it is mostly for older games that they want to catch up ....

btw wiiu even if is 300USD is still almost double or even triple(if price cuts to $99) of wii....so buying wii now would not be bad idea also...i am not sure if wii u is bringing anything worthy to consider buying it...still E3 is there and i might be wrong..so will wait before finally taking my decision...not long now ..

.i am not sure if wii u is bringing anything worthy to consider buying it...still E3 is there and i might be wrong..so will wait before finally taking my decision...not long now ..

Man, you are so wrong and so many times. If wiiu is what I think it is, it will converge 'gaming on the go' and home consoles. May be just partially but still would be damn good.

Well, firstly, the price will not go down to 99USD. Thats a pipe dream and its not happening till the WiiU releases.

Secondly even if by some miracle it goes down to 99USD you will be buying AT LEAST about 3-4 games with that unless all you wanna play is Wii Sports. Which puts you back in the 300USD range again. Seems silly to spend that kind of money on hardware thats going to be dead in a few months when you could get a WiiU which will give you backwards compatibility and better future proofing. You can always spread out your game purchases with that because its gonna be there for another 5-6 years.

Just my 10 cents. /shrug

Archived