Anita Sarkesian thread

The JACKAL

The threats against this woman should unequivocally be condemned. They are made by people with serious issues and should be considered dangerous and treated with grave seriousness.

But these threats should not make her immune from criticism for the content she puts out. This happens all too often. A genuine meritorious discussion never happens because the starting point of the criticism becomes the justification of the crime against the victims rather than the original context.

"Phil Fish had it coming".

"These celebs were morons to keep nude pics on their phones and had it coming"

People should learn to disassociate their criticism from the justification of the crime or they'll never be taken seriously. That said, having gone through some of the content that Anita Sarkeesian puts out, I have to agree with the OP. She seems completely disingenuous and a hack. And the comparison with Jack Thompson is not completely unjustified because she is being taken seriously by the industry which is inexplicably legitimizing her opinions.

The threats against this woman should unequivocally be condemned. They are made by people with serious issues and should be considered dangerous and treated with grave seriousness.

But these threats should not make her immune from criticism for the content she puts out. This happens all too often. A genuine meritorious discussion never happens because the starting point of the criticism becomes the justification of the crime against the victims rather than the original context.

The people harrassing her are morons. Do you think Jim Sterling got rape and death threats over his negative game reviews? Those were opinions as well, just like Sarkesian's, except she's a woman so she's an easy target,

It doesn't matter if she's a gamer. She doesn't need to play games to have an opinion. As for her stealing videos from other channels, there's legal recourse for it. But you can't threaten someone with rape or death just because they have an opinion.

^ This.

The rape threats she gets are made by troll sock accounts created just for trolling. The last twitter account she accused of threatening her had only 10 tweets and didn't remain active for more than a minute. Also there is absolutely no evidence to state it pm'ed her home address. If its anything she has only used this to promote herself and make monetary gains and it is an utter shame when women who face genuine abuse in real life are ignored.

How do you know that these accounts that post the abusive messages aren't handled by her?? In any of her stupid rant when she mentions she gets abused do you sense any grief there?? Seems like she's pretty thrilled about being attacked. Either way putting all this aside regarding Anita sarkeesian's opinion?? No shes not entitled to an opinion since they're flat out lies and only lies or biased drivel.

She shows a footage of agent47 killing strippers and dragging their corpses( which the game doesn't encourage) and she makes large genral claims like " ohhh look games are soo sexist, big bad baldy killing innocent sex workers and dragging their corpses around gives gamers a sexual arousal". Yes she thinks 'guy gamers' get a sexual arousal by dragging stripper's corpses around in hitman and you people leap in her defense when she says such horrible things about you and the main stream media swallows her bullshit.

And why , why can't Anita sarkeesian ever refute her critiques?? Like world famous atheists thunderf00t and InternetAristocrat for starters who have called her out on her bullshit and have proven that she's as phony as phony can get? Perhaps then people would take her seriously?? But mmmmm nope someone calls her out and she screams "RAPE!!!!" and the wannabe white knights leap in her defense.

In all her vids she repeatedly says that women are only used as background decorations or they're merely a damsel in distress. I'm sorry what of metroid where Seamus kicks alien a*s. What about tomb raider where Lara croft performs brutal executions on innocent men who were just stranded and trying to survive in that island. What about mills jovovich who's made a career in movies where she's usually battering men to death or Femshep saving the galaxy and killing hordes of men and aliens alike. Men's lives are clearly worthless to Anita sarkeesian.

Contrary to what Anita sarkeesian claims , truth is gamers crave for a strong female character who kick a*s.

Her tropes vs women videos?? Are you really going to deny that everything she mentions in those vids aren't lies?? Have you played those games?? Even the gameplay she claims to be as her own has been tracked and found to be from the long plays YouTube channel.

I haven't played all those game of course, but I've played quite a few of them. Yeah she apparently 'steals' footage, which I'm not okay with.

Everyone gets abused on the internet everyday, nobody makes a big deal out of it. Spare me the grief about getting abused and bullied on the internet. Its so pathetic and pitiful. There are several high profile female gamers who get repeatedly attacked on twitter and YouTube . Do you see them cry?? Most certainly not.

lolwat? This doesn't make it okay. Also, the abuse she gets is not even close to what others get. Only thing comparable I can think of is Fish getting hacked recently.

Truth is Anita sarkesian invites these trolls. And that was pretty evident when she decided to post her bullshit on 4chan and baited everyone to abuse her.

No idea about this 4chan stuff. But I highly doubt she invites trolls.

The rape threats she gets are made by troll sock accounts created just for trolling. The last twitter account she accused of threatening her had only 10 tweets and didn't remain active for more than a minute. Also there is absolutely no evidence to state it pm'ed her home address. If its anything she has only used this to promote herself and make monetary gains and it is an utter shame when women who face genuine abuse in real life are ignored.

How do you know that these accounts that post the abusive messages aren't handled by her?? In any of her stupid rant when she mentions she gets abused do you sense any grief there?? Seems like she's pretty thrilled about being attacked. Either way putting all this aside regarding Anita sarkeesian's opinion?? No shes not entitled to an opinion since they're flat out lies and only lies or biased drivel.

wtf :ko:

She's a vile radical feminist and the worst thing to happen to this industry since jack Thompson.It is fair to say she is jack Thompson undergone a sex change except that most people blindly leap in her defense merely based on the fact that she's a woman without even doing a background check on her. As I already said, she is a proven liar and a con artist who has swindled people and stolen content and used it in her own vids without giving credit to their creators.

Would you be at ease knowing that someone as dangerous as jack thompson would be influencing your games in the future?? This isn't the same as some stupid news outlet like fox news reporting on games , this is a narrow minded feminist with her own selfish agenda as to how games should be and shouldn't be and now shes already advising the devs of mirrors edge 2.

She is every bit as and potentially dangerous as jack Thompson is exexpt that she is being blindly endorsed by game journalists,devs and movie directors (trojan horse much??).People who refute her bullshit get abused as sexists and misogynistic.

Its amazing isn't it?? How her videos don't allow comments and have ratings disabled. That's cus everyone called her out on her bullshit and people rarely had anything positive to say in her vids , then she moderated them allowing only those few comments which patronised her and eventually she couldn't be arsed about it and she disabled it totally.

Ofcourse Anita sarkesians bullshit may seem trivial to people now but in the long run it is very very harmful. Putting your head in the sand isn't a solution.

The reason she is becoming so influential is because people are listening to her and watching her videos , if people just ignored her in the first place she would just have been another ranter on youtube nobody gave a sh*t about.

In fact all these death threats and sh*t only make the gaming community seem worse and make her points seem right from the eyes of a non gamer.

At the end of the day tell me one thing , even one thing thats useful that Anita sarkeesian offers?? I thought not. All she does in her videos is abuse games, make general statements about gamers who like games she doesn't approve of. And you expect people not to be offended by it??

Even high profile female gamers (the ones who actually play games ) don't approve of her nonsense. Just go to twitter and search #gamergate.

The reason she is becoming so influential is because people are listening to her and watching her videos , if people just ignored her in the first place she would just have been another ranter on youtube nobody gave a sh*t about.

In fact all these death threats and sh*t only make the gaming community seem worse and make her points seem right from the eyes of a non gamer.

She isnt some random women ranting on internet to get attention. The sad part is she is quite influential and therefore ppl just cant ignore it like nothing happened. Lots of non-gamers are also gonna watch her videos. God save all the fools who actually funded her kickstarter project :lol:

The situation has become something like Game of thrones S4. Her being Cersi- lying, misinforming, getting sympathy and some random idiot sending threats on his fake account(littlefinger). and in the end the gamers are stuck with the critisism like Tyrion.

At the end of the day tell me one thing , even one thing thats useful that Anita sarkeesian offers?? I thought not. All she does in her videos is abuse games, make general statements about gamers who like games she doesn't approve of. And you expect people not to be offended by it??

Even high profile female gamers (the ones who actually play games ) don't approve of her nonsense. Just go to twitter and search #gamergate.

What an saying is, with all this hate she is getting. It is only making her more famous. Ppl doing all this hate only makes her point stronger.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think the topic of how games write and represent people, whether man or woman, is important. As it stands, however, women get the short end of the stick, because of the lack of diversity and game devs pandering to their audience. The conversation she has started is important.

What she offers? That's subjective, and even if she offers absolutely nothing of value to you, doesn't mean one should harass her.

Gaming journalism sites are still, quite rightly, reeling over the backlash they've received over the whole 5 Guys Quinnspiracy scandal that occurred two weeks ago. Kotaku is at the forefront of this hate due to 2 reasons. 1. One of their writers is directly involved and has, seemingly, not received any formal reprimand for potentially mixing business with, I guess, pleasure. Not even an assurance from Kotaku that strict guidelines will be enforced to prevent such issues in the future. 2. Kotaku remains flippant about gamer concerns over nepotism and corruption and essentially has tabled the issue as far as their involvement is concerned, but hasn't stopped missing the point.

Enter Luke Plunkett, Editor at Kotaku.com and author of this opinion piece.

http://kotaku.com/we-might-...

I thought I'd go over it and explain why Luke simply doesn't get it, or doesn't want to, and why he and his ilk are the problem, not us. Let's begin.

"I've been working at Kotaku for nearly eight years now, and while I've seen some online kerfuffles over various issues in that time, I've never seen anything like the past two weeks. There has been so much hate. So many angry words, so many accusations, over...what? Video games? Women in video games? People who write about video games? It would be absurd if it hadn't forced people out of their homes for fear of their personal safety."

No Luke. The "hate" and "angry words" come at the fact that you journalists treat us gamers like we're idiots. Like we don't matter, and like you are above us. So entrenched in your exclusive clique setting with publishers and developers are you, that you fail to see that all of it rests on one foundation. That being the backs of us gamers that keep it all going with our money and our interest. That you would so reduce our concerns to being those of haters who don't want girls in games shows just how arrogant you are and how out of touch you are with us, and why you are part of the problem.

You brought up Anita Sarkeesian fearing for her safety, yet didn't once think to question that if she was so afraid that someone was going to do something to her, WHY WOULD SHE BROADCAST IT ONLINE WHEN ANY POLICE FORCE WORTH THEIR SALT WOULD TELL HER TO REMAIN QUIET AS THEY INVESTIGATE?!

You didn't even bother to look into the fact that she claims to receive exactly this kind of hate ALL the time, yet now she conveniently has to show a specific example that supposedly made her afraid.

It couldn't have anything to do with her most recent video being a flop with all kinds of people fed up with her gross misrepresentation of games and gamers could it? Couldn't have anything to do with the timing of her video's release making the claim that women are in danger in gaming due to the acts of one horrible person and the backlash she received could it? Someone so afraid for her safety that she remains on the internet and still has time to ask for donations. You don't even bother to look into this stuff. You just take a con artist's word at face value because she's a woman. And you wonder why gamers consistently lose faith in the gaming media, and why your site is NEVER spoken fondly of by ANYONE.

"There are a lot of opinions going around about this sad state of affairs at the moment, and you don't have to travel far to find some, but if you want to read something beyond a simple recap, something more substantive, my advice - as someone horrified by the degree of hostility, bigotry and sheer inhumanity that has been on show - is to start with these two articles."

"The first, by Dan Golding, is called "The End of Gamers" ( http://dangolding.tumblr.co... "On the evidence of the last few weeks", he writes, "what we are seeing is the end of gamers, and the viciousness that accompanies the death of an identity."

Hostility yes, bigotry no, inhumanity no. No one cares that Zoe Quinn is a woman. No one cares about the fact that she slept with 5 guys. We consider her to be an awful human being for being a cheating *****, but we don't care about that aspect of her life. We care about her relationship to your journalists, we care about her ability to control discourse by sleeping around, we care about her amassing legions of ignorant and blind fools protecting her from scrutiny and having to face up to the horrible deeds she committed, and we care that she shut down a charity event. We also care that people like you are trying to label her as a victim in need of protection instead of the manipulative, heartless, ethically and morally void person that she is and then blaming US for everything.

As for the stupidity of that Tumblr blog, I might touch on that in more detail in a future blog, but instead I'm going to focus on this little tidbit you included about the death of an identity.

The identity of "gamer" cannot die so long as there are games to play. It is absolutely absurd to think that the identity of "gamer" is dying, for any reason. Anyone that thinks so clearly has their own head up their own a$$.

"The second, by Leigh Alexander, is called "'Gamers' don't have to be your audience. 'Gamers' are over." ( http://www.gamasutra.com/vi... It's a similar piece, albeit one aimed a little more at developers. "'Gamer' isn't just a dated demographic label that most people increasingly prefer not to use", she writes. "Gamers are over. That's why they're so mad. "These obtuse shitslingers, these wailing hyper-consumers, these childish internet-arguers — they are not my audience. They don't have to be yours. There is no 'side' to be on, there is no 'debate' to be had."

Another stupidity article, unfortunately it comes from a site that I used to respect. However I can't in good conscience respect a site that allows such garbage to pass as a legitimate piece.

Who are these "most people" she's referring to? Has anyone ever heard another person interested in gaming NOT use the label "gamer" when referring to the group of people that play video games? We're mad because we're "over?" Is that why you're writing hateful articles about us all the time, claiming we're the problem and you're not? I suspect that you actually WANT the "gamers" to be "over" so that you could be free to infect the industry with your bigoted, short-sighted, militant ideology. Too bad that's not going to happen. Gamer is not an identifier that can end. Its only qualification is "someone that games" at a basic level.

I'm glad that gamers aren't your audience. As a gamer, I don't want to be associated with someone who is supposed to be a professional and is supposed to have detached objectivity but instead uses insults like "obtuse shitslingers", "wailing hyperconsumers", and "childish internet-arguers." You sound like such an adult right now Ms. Alexander. I also don't want to be part of a group that wants to insert an ideology into a pure artform and dictate how that artform can be expressed. I don't want to be associated with a group that actively promotes censorship and tries to monopolize all discourse so as to paint themselves the perpetual victims. I don't want to be associated with a group that says the same goddamn things that Jack Thompson was disbarred for saying, but gets away with saying it because what's between their legs is different from what's between his.

I wouldn't want to be a part of your audience if I was offered all the money in the world because members of your audience is what's ruining gaming, not gamers. Not the "label" of "gamer." You.

"Note they're not talking about everyone who plays games, or who self-identifies as a "gamer", as being the worst. It's being used in these cases as short-hand, a catch-all term for the type of reactionary holdouts that feel so threatened by gaming's widening horizons. If you call yourself a "gamer" and are a cool person, keep on being a cool person."

What's the matter Luke? Not willing to fully commit to that kind of hate group? Why bother linking the articles if you're going to try and play Devil's Advocate and be conciliatory to another side? And way to be supportive of one type of generalization (that being the generalization of gamers) but most definitely being against another (that being the generalization of social justice warriors). You have such a conviction and dedication to the truth. Such objectivity and professionalism. If you play games, you're a gamer. There are subsets of gamer such as casual or core gamer, but the basic requirement is that you play games. You being "cool" or not is not a factor and isn't something that needs discussion.

"Once you're done here, I'll see you next week, where we can hang out as thoughtful, considerate human beings and enjoy video games as they are, not what some folks feel they can dictate from a dark corner of the internet."

You mean like Anita Sarkeesian, Carolyne Petit, Katherine Kross, Zoe Quinn, Samantha Allen who insist that games are not just "entertainment" and try to dictate the direction of the industry towards a feminist agenda via the use of shame? The same kinds of tactics that Jack Thompson used and sites like yours were against?

You see, I don't see gamers trying to dictate what games are. I see gamers as trying to prevent others from trying to dictate what games are. I see gamers fed up with being called a group of hate filled, bigoted, rape apologizing misogynists who are complicit and supportive of games that apparently teach men to devalue and dehumanize women. I see gamers as demanding some ethics and morality from the news sites they trust to deliver them unbiased and objective news. I see gamers as refusing to be told that what they like is wrong and that they need Social Justice and Feminism to dictate what makes a good game and what doesn't. I see trolls as being trolls and not caring what it makes the rest of us look like all while you group everyone together to suit your pathetic agendas.

I see you as the problem Luke. Not you specifically, but what you represent. An entire portion of the gaming medium that is unwilling to be professional and instead accepts any manor of favours and bribes to maintain the close knit clique status that is gaming journalism and promoting only one side of the conversation, while drastically overexaggerating and misrepresenting the other side, if you ever choose to talk about them at all.

Don't pretend your hands are clean Luke. They're stained with more green than the Hulk's.

Source : DragonKnight's Blog

Bit of a rant but some good points raised.

I don't understand why people are out for her blood. She presents a different opinion on games. You can try and understand it but you don't have to like it or even agree with it. And in that case, you can just ignore her. She's not going to 'damage' gaming in any way. What do you care what some non gamer thinks about the hobby after watching her video? What possible harm can she do to Mirror's Edge 2 by consulting on the project?

The point she puts forward- that of representation of woman in gaming- is a conversation worth having. The examples of misrepresentation used in her video, however? She is, in many cases, grasping at straws, and I think using those specific examples only hurts her stance.

In the end though, NONE of it excuses the harassment. It takes a special kind of scuminess to throw rape and death threats at someone from behind a screen.

Follow @Nero (link below) who just confirmed with SFPD that Anita did not make a complaint as she claimed on twitter earlier this august. Yes at the time where she claimed to have recieved death threats and informed police for protection just as she was about to release another video and a link to her donations page.

And Nero also just released his article on this issue.
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/09/01/Lying-Greedy-Promiscuous-Feminist-Bullies-are-Tearing-the-Video-Game-Industry-Apart

In other news , TYFT's "Women making Video Games For Charity" project achieved their target funding goal (A project that Zoe Quinn tried to sabotage). Oh yea the 4chan "sexists,misogynists and ultra evil villains of the internet" not only contributed to that but also raised $2000 for suicide prevention in less than 2 hours.

Archived