The Road Trips thread

Ne0

Hi Guys,

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on road trips. We could give info on some amazing drives , places to visit etc.

NOTE: Please restrict it to road trips only, and don't include stuff you've visited via air / train etc. This thread is mainly for those who are interested in the sheer pleasure of driving .... so try to put more info on the journey rather than the final destination (ex:good places for food/refreshments, good routes to take , bad roads to avoid etc) ! For just some regular travel stuff, use the other Travel thread !

To start with, I bought an elite i20 recently (petrol version). Wanted to take it for a spin on some good / free roads .... went for a quick day trip to the nearest shivanasamudra falls (~120 kms from bangalore). It was an amazing trip, and for the first time I felt I'm truly driving :D

Anyway, I plan to visit Mahabalipuram sometime in the coming months ....

This is the route I've planned : Bangalore -> Vellore (halt)->Mahablipuram (halt)->Kanchipuram (halt)->Bangalore.

Welcome any suggestions / tips !

^^ Road trips in India (especially south) seem quite enjoyable with some of the NH as good as their western counterparts , and apart from some of the main junctions, best part is they are quite empty (esp in interiors) .... but driving at night time is a pain though .... especially on 2 lane roads without dividers .... those trucks/buses and the innovas really gives me the chills :samui:

Anyway, I'm just discovering the joys of driving on NH .... let's see how the journey goes ....

BTW, just a reminder, if anyone has traveled before on this route, do suggest some good (family friendly) hotels/resorts or any other useful suggestions ....

Bangalore -> Vellore (halt)->Mahablipuram (halt)->Kanchipuram (halt)->Bangalore.

^ Why especially south...North has much better highways. Been in Karnataka for 8 yrs...everywhere it's so camped.

Never been to North of India :-(....

But some of my northern friends have told me it's pretty unsafe to drive on highways there (prone to robberies and stuff )?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Never been to North of India :-(....

But some of my northern friends have told me it's pretty unsafe to drive on highways there (prone to robberies and stuff )?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Hmm, driven extensively in North on highways, both day and night, no issues at all. Highways are also usually wider, but traffic is less on highways in South.

Archived