Getting Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour to work on Windows 10 x64

AlphaRapax

Thread title explains it all.

I've tried adding the option.ini file, NO CD cracks, and compatibility modes on the game exe (Note: I have the old game CDs from a decade ago)

I managed to get Generals working, but Zero Hour refuses to start up. There are no error messages or pop-ups, the splash screen shows, and then nothing, just nothing.

Thanks for any help

Just tried the fix, it didn't work.

The splash screen opened, it stayed on screen for a couple seconds and then nothing, just my desktop. Win Task Manager shows no Zero Hour or Generals working.

What am I doing wrong? I'm dying to get this thing working!

Okay, I've tried everything I can think of, and nothing

1. Double click on the .exe shortcut

2. Splash screen

3. Stays on for 5-6 seconds

4. Goes away

5. NOTHING

What have I done?

1. Options.ini edit

2. No-CD Crack

3. Pirated game crack (yes, I did this, but on a legit copy)

4. Set Compatibility to Win XP SP1, SP2, SP3. Vista. Win 7

5. Reinstalled 4-5 times, can't remember how many

6. Updated Direct X to be sure

7. Tried this on my laptop as well (Win 10, and again nothing)

I'm spent

• 3 weeks later...

Woah! I had the same damn problem years ago. Was never able to make it work then! This right here is why I prefer consoles. No hassles!

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

I have no issues running the game. I have the legit copy on Origin and it works just fine.

I have no issues running the game. I the legit copy on Origin and it works just fine.

I tried it using the physical disc version years before origin- around 2007-8 I suppose. Couldn't get it to work ever :(

^ You all have to consider how Windows 10 is setup and how it handles older software.

I recall a friend of mine wanting to play Dangerous Dave on his DELL notebook (Windows 7 Home Premium), we had to go through the Command line to get it sorted because trying to force it into compatibility mode was not cutting it.

Old games will not always work flawlessly, sometimes you would need to go beyond the obvious surface level tweaks to get them to run. Purchasing a digital copy / GoG version is currently the best you can do.

• 3 weeks later...

Woah! I had the same damn problem years ago. Was never able to make it work then! This right here is why I prefer consoles. No hassles!

Woah! I had the same damn problem years ago. Only with a PS2. Was never able to make it to work. This right here is why I prefer PC. I can fix my sh*t myself instead of relying on service center and cussing my own luck. /s

But seriously, he's trying to play an old game on a new OS. It's literally like trying to make your PlayStataion 2 game work on a PlayStation 4, it's bound to have some problems. But the sweet thing with PC is that you have the freedom to try and, given some effort, actually get it to work on a PC.

I'm in no way trying to say #PCMasterRace, infact I'd take a console over a PC anyday, but it's an advantage the PC has, which should be acknowledged.

---

To OP: If nothing works, and you have a decent setup, download windows 7 or XP in a virtual machine and play the game. It's way too extreme than some would prefer, but definitely an option you can exercise.

Archived