Asura's Wrath

Shadoken

Asura as referred in this game implies a demigod, at worst a fallen angel (as mentioned in the post above me). Whereas in the Hindu scheme of things they are pretty much evil etc. e.g. Raavan is termed as an Asura was supposed to be a learned Brahmin and one of the most revered priests of Vishnu.

Raavan was a great devotee of Shiva, not Vishnu.

220px-ASURA_detail_Kohfukuji.JPG

this ??... must be some stereotype video game thing ... just like how greek mythological creatures are used in various games ...

and yea even in the trailer you can see the main character getting 3 faces and 6 arms in his Super Saiyan transformation thing...

Happens in all Sci-Fi/Fantasy entertainment genre's Stargate (steeped in Egyptian Myth, Matrix et al

In another 5-10 years or so, you will see Indian myths coming into the mainstream. I was talking to a large Japanese manga publisher who was seeking to make an entry into India. During his presentation he whipped out manga on Indian myths, Ramayan, Mahabharat. Legend of Hanuman. The works. All done in Japanese.

Just a matter of time when the folks in JP get into the game purchasing and then it gets into the development cycle.

:rofl:

MadGeek wins this thread.

What did I win? In the market for Fallout3 GoTY <nudge> <nudge>

;)

+1 :ko:

All I wanted to say is that many Japanese games including Final Fantasy has had these creatures called Asura with 3 faces and six arms, which is not exactly Indian. No need to go into eastern mythology and stuff..

Interesting story on the faces... Ravan is said to have 10 faces because he is said to be a learned scholar in the 4 Vedas and 6 Upanishads.

Evil (mentioned by someone above) is also an interesting idea. Relatively modern, Satan for e.g. is said to be a fallen angel and so are most villains of religious myth. If you consider the mirror position of Ahuras and Daevas in Zoarastrianism, it implies that it was probably an local political dispute that went to far (Hindu's defined as being east of the Sindhu as named by Persians etc.). However, evil is a rather extreme position, doesn't seem compatible. But who am I to pontificate. Bring it on. We will play it and plat it (well someone definitely will).

^^ Lucifer is a fallen angel - as immortalized in Paradise Lost. That is a very romantic notion of hell, which is not exactly an opposite of heaven, but an exile for angels who went against the creator. They would finally end up as the jailers of sinners from earth. The good guys would inherit the earth. Heaven still remains the abode of gods. Satan is usually more evil and in charge of a punishing hell, not being a fallen angel but more of an anti-god. Sinners go there to be punished and the good guys go to hell. There's a thin line between the two pictures of hell - versions depend on the viewer being a romantic or not. That's my theory anyways.

Going OT - the best story about Lucifer and his fall is by Neil Gaiman in a short story - not in the Sandman comics, but a short story in the anthology Smokes and Mirrors. The narration is very film noir.

Saw the game thread only today. The trailer was a bit too much like some DBZ trailer. Too much shouting and too few proper action sequence views. Me needz moar gameplay!

indeed it is. Asura = devil in hindi/sanskrit.

i am kinda surprised that no one else posted about it :huh:

Like they were saying, the term is indeed of Sanskrit origin, but not exactly Indian origin.

^^ Hindi :samui:

What languages do you speak? Apart from English and Arabic that is... (All I know is "Naam" "La" "Assalaam Alaikum" and "Shukran" :P )

Asura is also in Japanese, and it is a bit different from the Indian one.

The "Asura" from the game's name is definitely from the Buddhist one. So the Indian mythology is much less relevant here.

Like Noctis and Madgeek say, it is Buddhist here. Demi-gods in the Buddhist canon, written in Pali, are "asuras" too. They are members of the 2nd rung, never elevated to a godly status, forever in an uphill struggle against the Gods. Not quite outright evil either. But then it is indirectly Indian cos Buddhism originated here with Gauthama Buddha first being a Kshatriya before he gained enlightenment and preached his own religion.

Coming back to the actual game, hope it doesn't turn out to be crap like DBZ or something. :P The concept seems nice. And what's with everyone in it looking like the Thing from Fantastic Four? :giggle:

heavy mythologial stuff here naisse :thumbsup:

@ madgeek

During his presentation he whipped out manga on Indian myths, Ramayan, Mahabharat. Legend of Hanuman. The works. All done in Japanese.

Just a matter of time when the folks in JP get into the game purchasing and then it gets into the development cycle.

oh how much do i want this to happen. do it japan !! a properly done mahabharata anime (and later GN and game) would own all.

also you seem a nice learned person about indian (and world) mythology madgeek. awesome !! we should have a nice discussion about it sometime :)

heavy mythologial stuff here naisse :thumbsup:

@ madgeek

oh how much do i want this to happen. do it japan !! a properly done mahabharata anime (and later GN and game) would own all.

also you seem a nice learned person about indian (and world) mythology madgeek. awesome !! we should have a nice discussion about it sometime :)

Danke.

I wouldn't say learned. Just well read. (often referred to as a know it all).

The Manga is already out. and If I remember correctly, Ramayana anime has already been done by some Japanese studio nearly a decade back.

• 3 months later...

Archived