PS3 FAQ

CarbonCore

read this, http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20056502-1/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/

Why all HDMI cables are the same

Expensive HDMI cables are a rip-off and offer no difference in picture quality over cheap ones. So when a salesman tries to up-sell, politely tell him he's wrong and move on with the sale.

There is sometimes a difference. I bought an unbranded cable for Rs. 140 (ebay ftw as always), it works fine at 720p but at 1080p it keeps skipping the signal for like a second every 10 seconds.

I eventually managed to get my hands on an HDMI cable which came bundled with a friend's Sony TV. Point to note : the TV is 720p but I am using that cable with my monitor at 1080p and it works perfectly. My friend is using my cable, so win-win for both :bigyellowgrin: .

I guess Belkin HDMI cables are of good quality and don't cost too much so you can try those.

Thats a problem with the cable being faulty. Its got nothing to do with whether its cheap or expensive. A 3000 rs cable can develop a fault too.

My point is/was that expensive cables pretty much do the same job as cheap ones. As long as they are working, there is no difference between them. And I say that based off not just what I read but what I have seen.

^ they can,that's how it is so far...there are no Indian codes...as the games we get are EU region mostly ( recently US region discs are being officially sold too like darksiders 2, mw3 , sr3 )

Exception being you can't redeem a UK psn card code in an Indian account.

So I bought a HDMI cable for Rs 350 but I am having trouble connecting my PS3 to my TV. The TV is LG with 4 HDMI ports – On HDMI one I have TATASKY’s HDMI cable. First I connect all wires (connector and HDMI wire too). When I start PS3 (keeping the input as AV) it flashes a message that “HDMI has been detected do you want to use it”. I press X button and the screen just goes blank – nothing happens. I tried pressing the power button for 5-6 seconds for hearing the second beep but still the same thing.

So I disconnect the HDMI and normally start the PS3 with AV input. I then connect the HDMI, go to settings, Display settings, Video Output and select HDMI. I press X, the screen goes blank and nothing happens. Kindly note that while doing all this the input in the TV is AV – Even if I select HDMI input in TV (HDMI 2/3/4) I get no signal.

Someone please help. I do not think there is an issue with the cable because my TV/PS3 is recognising it. Please tell me where am I going wrong? Is there some LG specific thing which I am missing (I doubt it but still asking).

Turn off PS3. Disconnect the AV cable entirely from both TV and PS3. Only AFTER that connect HDMI to TV and PS3. Switch on PS3. Then cycle through your TV HDMI inputs.

I did that but still nothing. I will try it once more after some time. WHen you say switch on the PS3 - do you mean the normal switching on or the holding for 6 secs for twice beeping and switching on?

• 2 weeks later...

DivX (avi mp4) wont play on my PS3 when I try to play them off the USB. Even after selecting the "Display All" Option, the files dont show up in the pen drive at all. :wallbash:

Funny thing is that the files play fine through a streaming media server.

Any Pointers?

One stupid question - Can I play PS2 games on my PS3?

Slim/super slim no!

Select models of phat - 80/60 could.

Recommendation - buy the remastered HD ones or classics from psn :P

The best ones are available.

So I bought a HDMI cable for Rs 350 but I am having trouble connecting my PS3 to my TV. The TV is LG with 4 HDMI ports – On HDMI one I have TATASKY’s HDMI cable. First I connect all wires (connector and HDMI wire too). When I start PS3 (keeping the input as AV) it flashes a message that “HDMI has been detected do you want to use it”. I press X button and the screen just goes blank – nothing happens. I tried pressing the power button for 5-6 seconds for hearing the second beep but still the same thing.

So I disconnect the HDMI and normally start the PS3 with AV input. I then connect the HDMI, go to settings, Display settings, Video Output and select HDMI. I press X, the screen goes blank and nothing happens. Kindly note that while doing all this the input in the TV is AV – Even if I select HDMI input in TV (HDMI 2/3/4) I get no signal.

Someone please help. I do not think there is an issue with the cable because my TV/PS3 is recognising it. Please tell me where am I going wrong? Is there some LG specific thing which I am missing (I doubt it but still asking).

Well I am no geek when it comes to PS3 but I think I came across the same problem when I first plugged in my PS3. I plugged in the PS3 using the AV cable and pressed the power button for 10 secs (I guess) this kind of resets the video settings of the PS3 and it gets connected in the normal SD (non HD) mode with the TV. But at least I have all the controls over the PS3. I now navigate to the Video Settings and change it to HDMI 1080p and save it. The screen goes blank. This is when I change the cable from AV to HDMI. And now I get 1080p video on my TV from my PS3.

ps - Of course I have a 7.1 receiver in between the TV and the PS3 but that doesn't matter. The important thing is that first use the normal AV cable, change PS3 settings to HDMI 1080p and then change the cables. Not sure if this is the best way, but it works for me.

Thats a problem with the cable being faulty. Its got nothing to do with whether its cheap or expensive. A 3000 rs cable can develop a fault too.

My point is/was that expensive cables pretty much do the same job as cheap ones. As long as they are working, there is no difference between them. And I say that based off not just what I read but what I have seen.

My experience is not based on a comparison between a 3000 Rs v/s 300 Rs cable, but between a 550 Rs and 200 Rs cable. One is Belkin and other is a chinese product sold on eBay. Initially I also thought that cables are all the same, so went ahead and bought the cheaper 200Rs one. However when connected with the PS3, it never went beyond 570p let alone 720p/ 1080p. I knew that instant the cable is faulty. I tried it with multiple HD transmitting devices and the same result. This confirmed my analysis. Next ordered a Belkin cable using some coupons on eBay and it worked like a charm. 1080p from the word Go! Again, if I go ahead and buy a monster Audio HDMI cable for 3000 Rs I am not sure if there will be any difference or if at all any, it would be any significant. Coz what I believe it, once it transmits 1080p it is 1080p, I wonder if there's difference in color and clarity depth amongst multiple cables all transmitting 1080p.

That also concludes, that more often that not, the cheaper Chinese cables use inferior materials, hence the cheaper cost and hence the cable not working as expected and hence we calling the cable faulty.

Verdict - If you're spending 150-200 for a chinese cable, spend a few hundred bucks more and buy a Belkin for 450-500. Peace of Mind!

Archived