Official Wii-U Thread

Why is nintendo so obsessed with prop formats ? Why reinvent the wheel when we already have bluray to hold that much of data. And since its prop, I think bluray movie playback is minus as well. I don't think royalty for bluray should be so high. Nintendo is just arrogant !

25gb? hddvd trying to attack again :scratchchin:

nah it is some high optical disc that is there own property.

What if Ninty pwns them all with something better than a Bluray in terms of space? :naughty:

What neo said below

Why is nintendo so obsessed with prop formats ? Why reinvent the wheel when we already have bluray to hold that much of data. And since its prop, I think bluray movie playback is minus as well. I don't think royalty for bluray should be so high. Nintendo is just arrogant !

+1.....I was thinking that only....beside blu-ray prices is coming down also....seriously bad move there...this new disc may help them solve the disc space but it still is shitty move.

oh i just checked they will have some other kinda of disc but size will be 25 gb only...which is cool as long as the size is big and developers get the space to fill in ...but still no blu-ray is kinda missing out huge opportunity...so many people watch movies in blu-ray only these days..

nintendo dont bother about ppl watching movies/music/etc on their consoles. they had a music channel on wii which could play mp3's which they then disabled via a FW update.

Will this actully launch in india and at a reasonable price. Since nintendo consoles are usually region locked importing wouldnt be an option either D; I dont know why MS and nintendo cant just make their console region free like PS3

To combat piracy. Just look at GC (own disk format) vs Wii (standard DVD, USB ports)

its more to do with piracy than arrogance. if u remember the GC had smaller sized discs too (not data capacity but actual size) and there was hardly any piracy on the system.

To combat piracy. Just look at GC (own disk format) vs Wii (standard DVD, USB ports)

its more to do with piracy than arrogance. if u remember the GC had smaller sized discs too (not data capacity but actual size) and there was hardly any piracy on the system.

If this is for piracy then they shouldnt have put the flash drive thingy

@PS and NeO

Like others have mentioned Piracy is a major factor. Other factors are also there. One of them would be that Ninty would have to pay huge bags of cash to Bluray right owners which they don't want to. And they would also have to pay cut on each copy of game sold for the console. They feel they have the tech and capability to compete and come up with something matching the Bluray or better it. Let's give them some time before we call them arrogant :P

And about movies, when was the last time Nintendo focussed on movies? :rofl:

+1k

@PS and NeO

Like others have mentioned Piracy is a major factor. Other factors are also there. One of them would be that Ninty would have to pay huge bags of cash to Bluray right owners which they don't want to. And they would also have to pay cut on each copy of game sold for the console. They feel they have the tech and capability to compete and come up with something matching the Bluray or better it. Let's give them some time before we call them arrogant :P

And about movies, when was the last time Nintendo focussed on movies? :rofl:

Ahh ! So somebody finally understood :P

What if Ninty pwns them all with something better than a Bluray in terms of space? :naughty:

do u know that blu ray with capacity of 128gb and 100gb are already there B)

though not compatible with ps3 but what ever ninty does we are gonna top them anyways :gunsmilie:

What if its cartridge based? :naughty:

Its cheaper than ever, scalable as per game, takes less space, less chance of failure and practically zero loading times. I won't be surprised if they go back to cartridge based system like NGP.

I think capacity of Wii U discs has been outed as 25 GBs. Thats what I read over on GAF anyway.

As far as no blu ray, its hardly surprising. Nintendo have never gone for the "Entertainment hub"/"It does everything" stuff MS/Sony does. To them its a nice add on but its not a feature. Their machine is a games machine and that to them takes precedence over everything else. For better or worse.

25GB is more than enough IMHO. Ninty can do what a whole lotta stuff with that amount of disc space.

Archived