Which Internet Connection is everyone using ?

Xeno

Dude, I live in india , and there is not a single way that Mtnl guys can do anything to him if he refuses to pay a bribe.

I have used the Mtnl broadband connection for 3 years, just got it disconnected recently. From your statement it seems that you pretty much decided to bribe the guy on your own, just because he made some story. Let me tell you how things operate in MTNL, and you can screw them super big time even if there is one procedural lapse.

The guy who you are talking about is most probably the lineman, he just cannot go on an say that application is not genuine, if he does that, and if you are the guy who wants to do the things easy way, you can just complain with the linemans name about the incident on their helpline. Now some of you will most likely say that nothing is going to happen from the complain, well you are wrong, you will most likely get a call within next day asking about the complain, and then the lineman would have to do the installation within 4 days or his a*s will be on the line. When you make an order booking and the installation still does not happen you will get multiple calls from head office as to why installation did not take place.

You might think that he will screw your connection after the installation, he can't, because after installation when you make a 'line' complain, you will get a minimum of 2 calls, one of which would be on your alternate number asking whether the complain is rectified or not, and after the complain is rectified, I.e. line is working again, the lineman would himself make a call from your number to the head office to confirm that line is working and you would again have to verify to the head office that complaint has been resolved.

I would have understood if you would have happily paid the lineman 50-100 rs as tip for the installation, but paying him 800 out of your own accord, and then calling it as a bribe looks pretty lame.

Btw all this complain process is can be done from the phone , without leaving the house and tales couple of days. If you walk into the exchange and ask to complain to the exchange manager and tell him about the issue your complain would be resolved within a day or few hours. FFS, stop doling out money to every Tom dick and Harry and then say you have bribed to get the service.

exactly :good:

guys wanna get a router any suggestion 4-5k (max 8k) a modem would be a + point with a torrent client built in ???

Frankly speaking i would avoid Modem + Router if you have a budget a cheap modem and a good router which supports dd wrt

Most Router + Modems are not of good build which are available in India

Guess you must have never used good quality product. Linksys, Belkin, D-link etc are available everywhere..

guys wanna get a router any suggestion 4-5k (max 8k) a modem would be a + point with a torrent client built in ???

Belkin,ASUS,Linksys,Netgear,D-link -> these are pretty good.

Belkin is my favorite, been using for years without any issue.

Edited by Heaven Angel

@spin which router do you use? My router fails to renew IP time to time. Planning to trash it and get a new one.

some belkin router. can't check the model number cause it's all dusty :P. it was cheapish (3-4k) and it does the job fine.

Dude, I live in india , and there is not a single way that Mtnl guys can do anything to him if he refuses to pay a bribe.

you have no imagination then.

if you refuse to pay the babu,

- file nahi mil rahi, do din baad aana

- technical problem ho gaya hai, ek hafta lagega

- haan sir, aaj hi aadmi ko bhej denge (lying)

- aadmi ki tabiyat kharab ho gayi hai, teen din lagenge

if you refuse to pay the technician,

- he won't show up for days

- when he is finally forced to come... mein gaya tha lekin kisi ne darwaja nahi khola

- line mein kuch fault hai, mein abhi check karta hoon (goes missing for 3 days)

- kuch part kharab ho gaya hai, replacement le kar aata hoon (goes missing for 3 days)

- replacement part stock mein nahi hain, ek hafta lagega

there are countless ways for them to make life miserable for you. and it doesn't even help to go above their heads because they're all in on it.

if you haven't had to pay a bribe in 15 years, good for you but let's not pretend for a second that corruption isn't rampant in this country.

some belkin router. can't check the model number cause it's all dusty :P. it was cheapish (3-4k) and it does the job fine.

- when he is finally forced to come... mein gaya tha lekin kisi ne darwaja nahi khola

- line mein kuch fault hai, mein abhi check karta hoon (goes missing for 3 days)

- kuch part kharab ho gaya hai, replacement le kar aata hoon (goes missing for 3 days)

there are countless ways for them to make life miserable for you. and it doesn't even help to go above their heads because they're all in on it.

if you haven't had to pay a bribe in 15 years, good for you but let's not pretend for a second that corruption isn't rampant in this country.

Yes, corruption exists in our country but it is "rampant" because we pay up too easily, or are in fact willing to pay up most of the times to cut lines or otherwise save any work on our part. Ever since I moved to hyderabad (5 years ago btw), I swore to avoid paying bribes as much as possible. All the linemen, chowkidars, babus, etc still ask for bribes, chai pani, etc but I politely refuse. Even private companies guys ask for this these days. If they create issues, I simply complain to the higher officers. If the higher officer doesn't listen, I go one level above. I have also made a rule to never use touts and do all works myself.

Surprisingly, I have not paid a single rupee of bribe in last 5 years and have had all my govt./govt-like works completed without any hassles and easily. Maybe they have taken 1-2 days more at times, maybe I've had to visit their offices 3-4 times more than I should have but still the work got done without giving me much frustration. In fact, govt bodies related works have been easier to get done instead of pvt ones. Ironically, I faced the most issues with my airtel connection, despite the airtel guy defrauding me into paying up 400 rs extra which I didn't know he took for himself (Got him terminated btw and got back 400 bucks with the area manager visiting me personally. Didn't even have to go anywhere for it. Just kept complaining on customer care till all levels).

So, basically, the guys who face corruption the most, and make it worse for others, are the ones who are ever ready to accept that corruption is there and there is no other means to get past it. In short "Chalta hai" attitude of educated folks of this country is ruining it.

• Like 3

Guys asking for router advice, go to http://smallnetbuilder.com and check the reviews/charts there. Check the models that are available in India and fit your budget then choose the best from the reviews/charts on this site. Easy peesy.

I, btw have the ultimate monster in the world of home consumer routers, i.e., Asus RT-N66U running my own custom firmware :)

Yes, corruption exists in our country but it is "rampant" because we pay up too easily, or are in fact willing to pay up most of the times to cut lines or otherwise save any work on our part. Ever since I moved to hyderabad (5 years ago btw), I swore to avoid paying bribes as much as possible. All the linemen, chowkidars, babus, etc still ask for bribes, chai pani, etc but I politely refuse. Even private companies guys ask for this these days. If they create issues, I simply complain to the higher officers. If the higher officer doesn't listen, I go one level above. I have also made a rule to never use touts and do all works myself.

Surprisingly, I have not paid a single rupee of bribe in last 5 years and have had all my govt./govt-like works completed without any hassles and easily. Maybe they have taken 1-2 days more at times, maybe I've had to visit their offices 3-4 times more than I should have but still the work got done without giving me much frustration. In fact, govt bodies related works have been easier to get done instead of pvt ones. Ironically, I faced the most issues with my airtel connection, despite the airtel guy defrauding me into paying up 400 rs extra which I didn't know he took for himself (Got him terminated btw and got back 400 bucks with the area manager visiting me personally. Didn't even have to go anywhere for it. Just kept complaining on customer care till all levels).

So, basically, the guys who face corruption the most, and make it worse for others, are the ones who are ever ready to accept that corruption is there and there is no other means to get past it. In short "Chalta hai" attitude of educated folks of this country is ruining it.

there's no point turning this into a philosophical discussion on corruption as a whole. the guy said that there was no way that a govt. employee can screw you over and i pointed out just 5 ways they can. you know what, if you keep pestering them they will eventually fold but that doesn't mean it's not a hassle. either you got lucky or if not, you seem perfectly happy to wait for many days, visit their offices many times and call their customer support over and over to get your work done and that's cool, but it's not always practical.

about a month ago i somehow lost my wallet which had my driver's license in it. i had to go back to the govt. office to get a new one made. now they have this system here where 'agents' hang around just outside the office and offer to facilitate the process if you pay them a certain amount. obviously, part of this amount goes back to the actual govt. employee who is going to do the work. this way he gets to be corrupt without actually getting his hands dirty. so yea, as soon as i walk into the complex, the agent approaches me and asks for 1500 to get my work done. i say no and stand in line for about an hour to get to the counter. there the guy says he will take my application and i should come back after 2 days. i go there 2 days later and he says that the application has not been processed, come back after 2 hours. i stick around there and 2 hours later he says he's going for lunch, and then disappears for the day i think. next day i go back and he says that there is a waiting period to get a new license and i should come back after the weekend. that's when i realized that he was not going to do my work. by the way, since i couldn't drive, i was going to the place every day in auto rickshaws which is expensive. meanwhile i couldn't drive anywhere and i'm wasting my time going back to the office over and over. in the end, i just paid some agent 1200 bucks and he got my work done in about 45 minutes. i lost more than 1200 bucks in daily trips to the place if you consider the value of my time that got wasted. so yea, this is how it works. it's not a chalta hai attitude, this is the reality of the system that you can't change by banging your head against a wall.

Edited by spindoctor
  • Like 1

Guess you must have never used good quality product. Linksys, Belkin, D-link etc are available everywhere..

Belkin,ASUS,Linksys,Netgear,D-link -> these are pretty good.

Belkin is my favorite, been using for years without any issue.

I guess you have never used routers extensively despite all other years

Apart from Asus i never recommend anything , there are good routers from other vendors too but they are overly priced and most of them are faulty after a year try running D Link Routers for continuous 5 days and see the disconnections on wifi

Dude, if you speak like that every 1 can make.your life hell,not just the mtnl guys. Instead of talking about probabilities I've told you how things exactly work in MTNL.As I said before there are very efficient counter check mechanism's in mtnl, the lineman or any other guy can not just say anything and get away with it, he is answerable at different level. If he tries to make up a fake story, you can complaint about it when you get the verification call for problem rectification.

The OP clearly said that he gave the money just because lineman said some story to him about fake applications.

As far as OT discussion goes, usually every 1 draws a line about where to bribe and where to not. I have not paid a bribe for long time, that's because for availing a service I.don't pay a bribe coz most of the time I know.my rights, having said that I have paid small bribes for breaking the law, or small tips to hospital guys for looking the other side.

Good that you are trying to live up to a higher ideal that you have set for yourself, if most of all those crying CORRUPTION at the top of their voices would actually take a look inside their own lives and start practising what they preach, this country would be a whole different place to live and work in !!

Edited by Sa1nT_SoLd1eR