The Automobile Thread

Chaztin

Lol. I have no work at office right now. Take my :chair: as well.

Also Nemo did not pick the troll. Truth is Diesel engines cost a lot to make as the compreasion ratio for diesel combustion is much higher. Also diesel produces much more heat so the engine has to be more sturdy meaning more metal. More cost.

sent using Tapatalk

Lol. I have no work at office right now. Take my :chair: as well. Also Nemo did not pick the troll. Truth is Diesel engines cost a lot to make as the compreasion ratio for diesel combustion is much higher. Also diesel produces much more heat so the engine has to be more sturdy meaning more metal. More cost. sent using Tapatalk

yep, but it would not make any sense to buy diesel cars now, the difference is only going to be 10-13 rs in few months, and even if one average running or slightly above average running, petrol car is they way to go ahead. If only some 1 has to use the car for more than 80-90 KM per day(on average), it makes sense to buy diesel

^^ assuming petrol wont rise is not very smart. Also diesel will always cost less. It costs less to create. And it will always give better fuel economy. Add two drives a year to matheran or lonavala and diesel makes so mich sense.

But at less than 10 km, yeah get an auto :ha:

sent using Tapatalk

There's no guarantee that the price of petrol is gonna stay constant is there? Also as the 2014 elections draw closer, expect the diesel prices to drop.

Price drop on diesel is not gonna happen any time soon, the government has already decided to raise it by 0.50p every month, its only when it reaches the final price point, then the prices would fluctuate a bit.

I dont expect to see a price difference of more than 15 rs in the fuel prices in near future

^^ assuming petrol wont rise is not very smart. Also diesel will always cost less. It costs less to create. And it will always give better fuel economy. Add two drives a year to matheran or lonavala and diesel makes so mich sense. But at less than 10 km, yeah get an auto :ha: sent using Tapatalk

My lifetime average on tht car is approx 30Kms per day, also i always keep on alternating between the cars ( to ensure that they are in good condition).

@ fuel economy: My 5 year old civic gives me an approx mileage of 11-12, no matter what the conditions and how i drive.

Diesel cruze gives me 10-11 in best of conditions, and sometimes when i go into the rage mode, it give me only 7-8 :(

^^ assuming petrol wont rise is not very smart. Also diesel will always cost less. It costs less to create. And it will always give better fuel economy. Add two drives a year to matheran or lonavala and diesel makes so mich sense. But at less than 10 km, yeah get an auto :ha: sent using Tapatalk

Not really, i mean yeah it is less refined so costs less to produce (not exactly sure here though) but main reason why diesel is cheaper here is because of subsidies. Diesel is almost exclusively used in agriculture and allied activities, all farming machines use diesel and hence it is heavily subsidised.

My lifetime average on tht car is approx 30Kms per day, also i always keep on alternating between the cars ( to ensure that they are in good condition).

@ fuel economy: My 5 year old civic gives me an approx mileage of 11-12, no matter what the conditions and how i drive.

Diesel cruze gives me 10-11 in best of conditions, and sometimes when i go into the rage mode, it give me only 7-8 :(

Jin logon ke paas Cruz aur Civic dono hoti hain unke munh se fuel economy jaisi chindi baatein shobha nhn deti :P

sent using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Price drop on diesel is not gonna happen any time soon, the government has already decided to raise it by 0.50p every month, its only when it reaches the final price point, then the prices would fluctuate a bit.

I dont expect to see a price difference of more than 15 rs in the fuel prices in near future

You're talking about an ideal situation. The politics of this nation revolves around pleasing the masses. And what better way, than to reduce the diesel prices back to what it was 6 months back, thereby bringing down the prices of all essential commodities.

One question, is diesel so prevalent as car fuel in firang countries as well ? talking about developed western nations.

No it's not. Only the bigger SUVs use diesel. Most of the cars use petrol only. Easier to maintain, and the diesel and petrol prices are more or less the same. There's no advantage in going for a diesel powered car.

Yup even in France, Prices are almost Same.

And Nemo your second point is also valid, Diesel cars will take up more maintenance as the engine gets older, aslo the resale of a diesel engine car will take more hit as compared to a petrol car. You lose again at the time of selling your car. So in an ideal situation if you are doing less then 1500 kms a month in your car, stick to petrol.

I remember an article a couple of years ago comparing the price difference between diesel and petrol variants of cars, along with the difference between diesel and petrol prices and the fuel efficiency.

According to that article, for entry/mid level cars, at around 36,000 kms a diesel car breaks even with petrol. And if you have taken a car loan, then you have to factor in the additional interest paid on the price difference (interest on ~1L).

My car (Ritz Vxi) hasn't done even 10,000 kms in 14 months so far. No regrets on choosing the petrol variant.