Microsoft Surface

b!T

MS is trying to get in on a war that doesn't exist..yet. Nobody is buying tablets. They never have. People are buying iPads. Coz it's the iPad.

Anyway, more than the device I hunk their touch keyboard cases were pretty cool.

@MT Doesn't matter if more screen real estate is available. It will be much less sharp than the retina iPad.

MS is trying to get in on a war that doesn't exist..yet. Nobody is buying tablets. They never have. People are buying iPads. Coz it's the iPad.

Anyway, more than the device I hunk their touch keyboard cases were pretty cool.

@MT Doesn't matter if more screen real estate is available. It will be much less sharp than the retina iPad.

Absolutely true there are two categories...iPad and wannabes...this will sit pretty much on top in wannabe list...

Thats completely untrue. ipad is sitting at 57-58% ww market share, android 39-40%. The US is heavily dominated by iPad, but Android is getting stronger, Kindle fire which goes for 199$ accounts for 50%+ android tablets sold in the US< obviously there is a lot of scope, for mid-price and low-price segment.

Now we have a new player, and if they get the pricing right, they have a good shot at grabbing the middle segment.

Again, iPad sales wouldn't cease, they will eventually lose more of its market share, either to Android or to Win8, I'm not at liberty to say few things here... only the time will tell.

Yeah, this is pretty much the best competitor to the iPad. Now I don't know how well it will be received, but it's better than MS not trying at all since they have the necessary ecosystem in place as well.

I posted that in response to Zee's comment on resolution. Yes, the Surface RT's screen will have a lower dpi, but it will also have more usable screen real estate.

Thats completely untrue. ipad is sitting at 57-58% ww market share, android 39-40%. The US is heavily dominated by iPad, but Android is getting stronger, Kindle fire which goes for 199$ accounts for 50%+ android tablets sold in the US< obviously there is a lot of scope, for mid-price and low-price segment.

Now we have a new player, and if they get the pricing right, they have a good shot at grabbing the middle segment.

Again, iPad sales wouldn't cease, they will eventually lose more of its market share, either to Android or to Win8, I'm not at liberty to say few things here... only the time will tell.

The percentage you're talking are shipped numbers, not sales, while Apple sells iPads as fast as they can make them. Check how much unsold Android tabs are gathering dust all over, everywhere. Oh and how very convenient that Fire is being included in the 'Android' numbers now. GG.

Anyway, the Kindle Fire dropped like a brick in the post holiday quarter, so much so that Amazon cancelled pre-ordered parts for further manufacturing of the device. (Source,

Anecdotally, I have seen a lot of iPads around. I haven't seen one "Tablet" yet.

Udham there is no way in hell iPad has 57% market share. Those figures are spouted by random analysts quoting figures from some random channel checks and shipped numbers.

I'll just speak till March 2012 figures. But till March 2012, Google sold 12 million tablets (Andy Rubin's word)...Apple sold 68 million tablets till that period (Apple's earnings reports say this)

How in the hell will it have only 57% market share. These are all global figures mind u. U can add 4-5 million Kindle fires into the pie still wouldn't make a big diff

The stores can maintain the inventory for 6 months, right? So if there are so many android tabs gathering the dust, and there is not much of real demand, market share should drastically come down this year.

But it wouldn't :), and you should wait for this fella , 199$ tag means insta-win.

And how could you not include Kindle Fire and Nook nos with android, they ARE Android devices. They have ICS to CWM to MIUI....everything.

Udham there is no way in hell iPad has 57% market share.

I was talking about 2011, will post link.

And there's no point seeing life-time data for these devices or OSs. Just see one year's.

I dont know if my method of calculation is wrong but i dont see how 68 mil vs 12 mil can in any way translate to 57%. But doesn't matter. I dont see android tablets taking off anywhere. The Kindle is a success not because its an android tablet, but because its a storefront for Amazon services which is where Amazon is going to make money (Movies, music, items, appps)

At 199, Google also will not be making any money in h/w as well. Unless they announce a huge ecosystem deal for movies and music and offers like Amazon prime, I doubt it gains any traction. Besides, Amazon Kindle is now a brand name, which everyone knows. Like the iPad. Huge +ve for Amazon. Amazon has the benefit of having a lot of customer trust built over the years. Google doesn't have a defining device or brand name which people know about. Most average joes (which is basically 90% of customer base) dont even know which android version they are running in their phones. Or that its Google which owns the OS.

Like I said, that % is the shipped number of tablets for Christmas qtr, 2011. If Apple could've made more their shipped % would have been higher as well.

Anyway if I had to pick a number I'd say in actual sales to consumers, the iPad would have a close to 90% share.

@ DS The Fire isn't a success. Even at that price point. It's just the iPad market so far. The 'Tablet' market does not exist.

@ Udham 6 months? What in the hell store are you managing? The accepted healthy inventory turn around time is 45 days or 6 weeks. And the share has already come down in the first quarter. Kindle went down from ~5 million to 750k, 17% to 4%. You see the immediate difference the shipped figures bring? The fire isn't selling much even when it was introduced at less than half the price of iPad 2, forget the fact that the iPad 2 was already almost a year old at that point. In the same quarter the iPad 2 sold enough at full price even though the new iPad was just around the corner.

I think this has potential for me to throw away my laptop

Pro version comes with Windows 8 Desktop version x86, has mouse support and 360 controller support, a HDMI out, and can run any application that you can run on your desktop.

uTorrent + VLC Player + Steam + Chrome

MS are trying to compete with two different markets, laptops and tablets

I am not too bullish on the touch experience of using Full Win8. I mean, to me, it seems the Metro thing is just a glorified launcher for Win7 in the background.Maybe I am wrong but lets see...

Also, Win 8 pro tablets are almost a kilo in weight. I find the 650 gms of the iPad just barely okay at times. Who would use a tablet weighing that much?.

At the price of 800-1000 dollars, u can get a super specced Win 8 Asus Laptop. better investment. U dont need the touch experience

the ipad is not going to maintain whatever marketshare and mindshare it has well into the future. this surface tablet might not compete directly with the ipad, but the kind of unified ecosystem microsoft are trying to build will blow away all the competition if it is successful (this includes both apple and google). they're leveraging the windows and xbox brands to unify everything... gaming, home entertainment, mobile computing, music and digital distribution, telephones, desktop computing, the internet... everything controlled by the same software systems that talk to each other. apple might compete in tablets and phones, but they have nothing else. google can compete on phones and internet services, but nothing else. the kind of sh*t microsoft are trying to pull off will be what smart homes from sci fi movies depict. dunno if it will be successful or not, but this isn't going to be a "lololol ipad vs surface" war. microsoft is playing the long game here... for them it's a marathon, not a sprint.

For 900$ the pro version seems worth.

I think this has potential for me to throw away my laptop

Pro version comes with Windows 8 Desktop version x86, has mouse support and 360 controller support, a HDMI out, and can run any application that you can run on your desktop.

uTorrent + VLC Player + Steam + Chrome

MS are trying to compete with two different markets, laptops and tablets

All I need on my entertainment machine :blush:

And HDMI out :O win

the ipad is not going to maintain whatever marketshare and mindshare it has well into the future. this surface tablet might not compete directly with the ipad, but the kind of unified ecosystem microsoft are trying to build will blow away all the competition if it is successful (this includes both apple and google). they're leveraging the windows and xbox brands to unify everything... gaming, home entertainment, mobile computing, music and digital distribution, telephones, desktop computing, the internet... everything controlled by the same software systems that talk to each other. apple might compete in tablets and phones, but they have nothing else. google can compete on phones and internet services, but nothing else. the kind of sh*t microsoft are trying to pull off will be what smart homes from sci fi movies depict. dunno if it will be successful or not, but this isn't going to be a "lololol ipad vs surface" war. microsoft is playing the long game here... for them it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Thanks. I really needed something like this to cheer me up today. :D

Spin, that unified strategy u talk of of was well implemented and started by Apple a while ago. Except gaming, apple has everything else. Has a superb deskktop tablet phone OS, got Apple TV which is just starting and I am sure Apple has big plans for it. And everything tightly integrated as hell.

MS is now trying to become tightly integrated like Apple. One account to link and sync all MS devices u own. Xbox is now slowly becoming a home entertainment box more than a gaming system. At least that is what MS is doing (live charges I think will be scrapped soon, it's the single most ridiculous thing about the Xbox).

MS has advantage of having the largest desktop market but I think the markets they are looking where they want to sell xboxes, phones tablets to same customers are markets where apple is also strong so it will be interesting to see what happens. Of course iPad won't be at the top if a legitimate competitor comes along. So far, nothing.

And yea google is the one in deep trouble. No wonder they bought Motorola. They are also trying this.

Archived