KILLING FLOOR 2, sneak peek: How Tripwire aims to design gaming's most realistic guns

killingfloor2-zedtime.jpg

"Guns shoot at such a high framerate, if you animated the gun at 30 frames per second, you're only going to get six frames per second when you go into slow-mo in detail to show that gun animating," says lead animator Bill Munk. At 30 fps, most gun animations just show a "generic forward and back motion." For KF2, Tripwire committed to higher framerate animations that would preserve the details of firing and reloading even in Zed Time, the slow-mo system that kicks in when cool things happen in Killing Floor. Using the Bullpup as an example, we animated at 242 frames per second, which gives us 22 frames per shell that ejects out of the weapons, Munk tells me. "The weapon shoots at 660 rounds per minute, which equals 11 rounds per second. In slow-mo you can actually see every kickback. In realtime you can't see these details but it makes the guns feel more powerful. We've come up with a formula to calculate: we have a weapon, this is its rate of fire—how many frames to do want to have per actual kickback, to make sure the fidelity of it is absolutely perfect? To my knowledge, no game is doing something like that, or would even think it would be worth doing something like that."

Gibson gets even more excited about KF2's new gun technology when he talks about weapon accuracy and recoil. Most games, he explains, represent accuracy with a bullet spread. Less accurate guns will have a wider spread on their bullets, so planting your crosshair dead center on a target doesn't guarantee a hit. "We wanted to actually have the gun physically move instead of having some magic number that you tweak that makes the bullets go in random directions. The gun's accurate; if you can manage to keep your sights on an enemy, you will hit it. The crosshair's just moving around, but wherever that crosshair is, that's where the bullet's actually going."

For the complete story head to PCGamer.

Get this exclusive Killing Floor 2 skin in the print edition of PC Gamer US #254

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/08/get-this-exclusive-killing-floor-2-skin-in-the-print-edition-of-pc-gamer-us-254/

Just announced and there is a 'exclusive' DLC skin already. EScJUbX.gif

Will this be as broken as Red Orchestra 2 was on release?

May not be the case because Tripwire plans to release this on STEAM Early Access.

Just announced and there is a 'exclusive' DLC skin already.

Have they said they will sell the skin in-game / as DLC later?

Or will it be like the themed Team Fortress 2 items that get bundled in pre-order offers?

Sent from my ST27i

I don't know bhaiya why are u calling broken yes it was full of bugs but was playable as ivg members played it together and had great fun I know I did :D but ya less bugged game would be appreciated

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

^ I think you meant quiet. =P

At-least they spoke to you and gave their thoughts instead of being like the wonderful chaps over at DICE.

Sent from my ST27i

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived