**The Food Thread**

arjun

:O U actually bought somethin?! :surprise:

Yes, I've spent $200 in one go at Target and a few $50-60 trips to Publix and IKEA over the past week or two. This is despite my room being furnished already and me arriving with more than enough food to cook for 2 weeks :P . Today I walked 20 mins through some seriously gansta territory :bandit: risking life and limb just to get something for my groupon. And in the end it turned out that I had to spend $7 to buy gelato and visit the place 5 times just to get my $10 Groupon's worth. :fogug: The gelato was really good though.

And man, fresh fish here is pretty expensive. Everything else too. Gotta start earning in dollars, then it won't seem so expensive :giggle:

Yo foodies, can anyone please temme about Olive Oil ? What's the difference between virgin, extra-virgin & refined ? Which one's more palatable for the Indian buds ? And which brand to go for ?

Thanks. :D

Mostly you'll find 3 types of olive oil in most supermarkets :

1. Extra virgin olive oil : This has the oil extracted purely by mechanical pressing of the olives. So its the most natural. Uses are best in salads, pasta, pizza, etc. where not too much cooking is required. NOT recommended for frying. Only for light sauteeing.

2. Olive oil, a.k.a 100% olive oil a.k.a pure olive oil : This is a mixture of EV + refined olive oil. EV I explained above, and refined meaning that once extra virgin oil is taken out, then chemical methods are used for extracting even more oil from the used up olives. This type of oil is best for indian tadka and all.

3. Pomace oil : This one is either completely refined olive oil, or refined + a bit of extra virgin. This is as close to refined oils like Sundrop, etc. Can be used for frying also.

We use EV oil for light cooking and salads/pasta, even paranthas. And '100% olive oil' for most regular Indian (read Punjabi) cooking. Pomace, never.

As a side note : we rarely deep fry stuff (you a doctor, so expecting a rep right here), and keep some fresh groundnut oil (non-refined) for that.

If you want to go el cheapo, go to BigBazaar. They more often than not have a buy 1 get 1 free on almost all type of olive oil. Its the best bargain as ~700 bucks or less gets you 2 litres of EV oil. 100% costs in the ~500 range.

• Like 1

^^ Thanks man. And repped (Ank as well) ! :P

Will be getting it from BigBazaar only as it's nearest to where I live. :D

Also, which brand ?

I generally use Del Monte or MUSA. Spanish imports.

• 2 weeks later...