Sony is Suing Kevin Butler

People are actually supporting this ? wtf? :| .... Sony should have just fired him or something , a giant corporation suing a PERSON is just fking ridiculous. Whats this world coming too?

They should have just asked bridgestone to take down the ad with the Wii , and I think thats what they did in the end. But even then ?

Sony : The damage done to our brand name cannot be fixed , gimme ur moneez . Go fking sue urself then sony :lol:

If sony was suing Bridgestone thats perfectly fine , but they knew theyd lose that battle so they picked on the little guy :P

Companies are suing individuals and people are laughing. Scary times we live in ! :/

Fixed

People are actually supporting this ? wtf? :| .... Sony should have just fired him or something , a giant corporation suing a PERSON is just fking ridiculous. Whats this world coming too?

You seem to misunderstand, read the op.

Bridgestone and Wildcat Creek, a company registered in 2007 by...Jerry Lambert

Sony has sued a corporation owned by Lambert which I assume it had the contract with, not the person himself.

^^ Ahh ok , misleading title :threatenlumber:

But even then , If he wasnt actually portraying himself as Kevin Butler I dont see whats wrong. I mean what if there is some other dude who looks just like this guy , Will they sue him as well?

wrong terminology good sir, bots dont give a definite output for a definite input (Sony?---> Sony sucks) I think you created a ZEE-GATE (as in a logic gate)

zee and logic? :lol: dude, you are funny! :lol: and zee does not gives definite output, it just has definite output for a particular usage scenario, exactly what a robot does. :)

^^ Ahh ok , misleading title :threatenlumber:

But even then , If he wasnt actually portraying himself as Kevin Butler I dont see whats wrong. I mean what if there is some other dude who looks just like this guy , Will they sue him as well?

People will still associate him with KB, thats where he got his fame from. Just take this title as an example.

And I don't see companies suing each other as a big deal anymore, for all we know Lambert could be working with Sony again in a matter of time.

^^He must have definitely signed some really shitty contract , If all this is actually happening.

I mean hes just an actor ,Does that mean Robert downey Jr cant act in a DC comic movie coz it hurts Marvels brand name?. He also rose to fame only because of Iron man.

I mean even the consumers know this , everyone knows Kevin Butler is just a paid actor. I really dont see how this is supposed to hurt Sony's image, apart from the damage they are doing themselves.

I dunno. Lambert should have been more careful.

He worked with Sony for 3-4 years, for gaming crowd he existed as KB. I don't think, many would have even known his name before.

his new ad wasn't for another gaming company. it was for bridgestone, a tyre company which showed something gaming related in their ad. remember, he used to work for sony but now he works for bridgestone too. what is he supposed to say to his employer? "no, i won't do the ad you want me to do because it might resemble a fictional character i used to play for a company i used to work with in the past that might conflict not with your company, but with the company you are having this temporary promotion with"? it's not like he played kevin butler in the ad. and heck, they digitally removed him from the ad as well. what the hell else can sony ask for? they're still suing him for god knows what purpose. does a lawsuit like this bring good press to sony or the playstation brand? is jerry lambert rich enough that they can hurt him financially for any sort of reasonable monetary benefit to a global corporation like sony?

He also rose to fame only because of Iron man.

say what now? :lol:

^^ :P ... ok ok let me correct that , Rise to fame IN Super hero movies or w/e..... You get the point , the character people associate him with is Iron man , and seeing him in a DC movie would be the equivalent of seeing KB playing on a Nintendo.

^ Lets forget about lawsuit for a min.

Lambert as the KB played a huge role at Sony until very recently, VP of everything and appearing as face of Sony.

TBH even I thought that he has become an integral part of Sony when he showed up on E3. stage along with Jack Tretton.

Now suddenly he starts playing for other team, doesn't this make people at Sony think that it may mislead customers?

Now coming back to lawsuit, bridgestone would be required to take exceptional step as digitally removing Lambert only when they realized that knowingly or unknowingly they have used Lambert's iconic image amongst gamers to make the promo better OR there are few things which they should have checked before signing up Lambert for this particular promotion.

If there were any contractual terms set by Sony to stop Lambert from endorsing any competing products to that of Sony's, in the future, once he is no longer with Sony, only Lambert could have known them better.

Edit:

This reminded me Channel V served legal notice to Munish makhija for planning to play Udham Singh in other movies/tv channels.

Sony:

Sony Computer Entertainment America filed a lawsuit against Bridgestone and Wildcat Creek, Inc. on September 11. The claims are based on violations of the Lanham Act, misappropriation, breach of contract and tortious interference with a contractual relationship. We invested significant resources in bringing the Kevin Butler character to life and he’s become an iconic personality directly associated with PlayStation products over the years. Use of the Kevin Butler character to sell products other than those from PlayStation misappropriates Sony’s intellectual property, creates confusion in the market, and causes damage to Sony.

We invested significant resources in bringing the Kevin Butler character to life and he’s become an iconic personality directly associated with PlayStation products over the years. Use of the Kevin Butler character to sell products other than those from PlayStation misappropriates Sony’s intellectual property,

Still dont get it , hes just an actor right? I mean did he use the Kevin butler character in the bridgestone ad too? Or was he playing the role of some random guy.

What separates this guy from the million other actors who do the same thing.

A Sony statement issued today, however, casts a little more light on SCEA's reasons for filing the suit. Speaking with Kotaku, a PlayStation representative says:

Sony Computer Entertainment America filed a law suit against Bridgestone and Wildcat Creek, Inc. on September 11. The claims are based on violations of the Lanham Act, misappropriation, breach of contract and tortious interference with a contractual relationship. We invested significant resources in bringing the Kevin Butler character to life and he's become an iconic personality directly associated with PlayStation products over the years. Use of the Kevin Butler character to sell products other than those from PlayStation misappropriates Sony's intellectual property, creates confusion in the market and causes damage to Sony.

As it's a legal matter, the company won't be discussing the matter further. We have yet to hear from Bridgestone, another of the targeted parties, on the matter.

since there isn't a single reference to the kevin butler character in the bridgestone ad, i can only assume that sony has problems with jerry lambert looking happy in any advertisement he does for the rest of his life.

:lol:

Either the companies take their customers to be too dumb or the customers are really too dumb to comprehend anything ! Just so scary how the answer to any problem in the western world today is a lawsuit !

Archived