Killzone 2

KnackChap

GI Killzone 2 pre-order  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

EGM has done it again

In what looks like the "dumbest" comparison, EGM have decided to side by side compare Halo 3 - due out on release in under 3 weeks, with the alpha build of Sony's KillZone 2 that was previewed at E3. Despite the game being almost a year away from completion, and despite the developers noting that the A.I was not yet complete, the journalists at EGM wanted to include the game in their "Best Of.." section of the magazine and it seemed like the only category best suited for KillZone 2 was the "Dumbest AI".

This is a direct contradiction from the latest hands-on by IGN and Game Informer, whom actually chose to note the positives of the early version of the game in relation to the "aggressively good" intelligence of the game.

65162_med.jpg

F**K you EGM,first they compare live to home(not PSN) and despite home scoring almost double the points over live ,they say they still prefer live and now this,which was a developer walkthrough on godmode with scripted sequences.

thank you EGM.

AI is very difficult to program. The algorithms used are extremely complex and most devs resort to creating set routines which are interchanged during each run through a particular level. If the dev team has a decent history of games with good AI, then its a safe bet that they'll be able to harness the power of next-gen consoles to better the AI behaviour and performance. If they havent shown that, (and Killzone 1 had notoriously bad AI) then its gonna be a 50:50 toss up as to whether the AI will be good enough or not.

AI should be one of the priorities of the devs during the initial coding and game development. If KZ 2 doesn't exhibit good AI at this stage in its evolution, its gonna be pretty hard to code fresh AI routines into the game after now. Lets hope that the walkthrough shown was not indicative of KZ 2's AI. But after seeing videos of HAZE, I have a bad feeling about the quality of the AI programming that these devs are displaying.

comparing a game that in pre-alpha with a game thats gonna be released very soon is the most IDIOTIC thing i've ever seen...good going EGM...u just outdid ur self!!

MGS4's AI was horribly dumb in the demo. And after much criticism by dumbass EGM and the likes, Kojima finally revealed the AI was practically 'switched off' for the demo so that he didn't have to die and start the whole thing over. What is surprising is that how EGM immediately jumped the gun and compared a pre-alpha with a near finished game.

O man!!! :censored3: EGM of all magazines????

For me this was a very good mag which i used to download month after month but after reading post i think i'll give it a pass..don't they have rules and regulations to follow? or is the company led by a dumbass editor...

i'm outta here :)

• 4 weeks later...

OPM UK got an exclusive play through and interview with Guerrilla. Here's some of the interesting things they said. One thing that i'm not sure that's been mentioned is that the level they've been showing off so far is the 3rd level in the game.

Having landed, two things strike me instantly. The first is how detailed everything looks. Killzone 2 uses full-screen anti-aliasing to replace jagged edges with butterscotch-smooth curves. It sounds like a small thing, but the effect is massive. "It's like visual glue," says Guerrilla's managing director, Herman Hulst. "It makes the world coherent and consistent at the touch of a button."

boss battles

Very satisfying, and we're promised more to come, with Steven Ter Heide citing Metal Gear Solid as an influence for its standout boss battles.

The Helghast react appropriately depending on where a bullet hits them. So a headshot results in limbs-go-limp instead death, while a shot in the arm will leave them unable to return fire accurately.

Other things Guerrilla can't talk about yet; whether or not you'll be able to swap between characters [although Ter Heide does promise there will be "plenty of variety", with a grin]; what kind of vehicles will be in the game; how the multiplayer will work, and whether co-op will be included.

OPM: Can you give me an example of how the Helghast troopers behave differently in Killzone 2 compared to the original.

STH: There's a lot more going on because the world is destructible, so the AI has to know 'I was sitting behind cover, but now there's no cover any more' and then respond to that. There are physics objects flying around that they have to navigate, and they have to use the environment to their advantage as well. Things like lean-and-peek and being able to select a good position to fight from. There's a massive leap we had to make.

OPM: What do you think is the single-most important factor when it comes to making a shooting game exciting?

STH: The shooting. [Laughs] The impact that the bullets have. The fact that the weapons feel right. You're shooting for 70-80 percent of the time, so it has to be fun, exciting and rewarding. We're focusing on things like hit respond and destructibility, so that every bullet you fire has an impact in the world. That's key for us - that really vivid, visceral image of unloading your gun into a guy, and his arms are flailing...

OPM: How will you add visual variety into the game given the bleakness of Helghan?

STH: [The third level] is one setting, and the weather is particularly bad there, but it won't always be that bad. Not sunny days but plenty of vartiety.

HOME is also very interesting. There's a lot of opportunity there, and its all part of our multiplayer strategy.

credits to gaf poster

Archived