Diablo 3

Aftrunner

For me D3 > SC2, but only by a very little margin. I love my action RPGs a little more than my RTSes...

As for the storyline, yeah I'm very interested in seeing where the go with it. But since it's Blizzard it's pretty much given that it's gonna kick all sorts of a*s... can't wait for those awesome CG cutscenes!

YEah...but I just hope they dont screw up the story like war3,became quite messy towards the end..and arthas..kerrigan...well.....well they cannot use the going over to the dark side again :D

Interestingly..they said you'll have to battle against the forces of hell and some of the forces of heaven too B) ...maybe..different endings.alignments?? That would be cool....

Maybe

Tyrael gets corrupted?

scary thought .....

maybe tyrael gets cast out of his order for interfering in the affairs of earth ... and the sense of humiliation and anger fuel his thirst for revenge and in the process corrupted ... or something like that????

in that case the the game shouldnt be named as Diablo III, dont you think????

Diablo 3 A Console Exclusive For 360?

July 1st 2008 01:31

From: http://www.gamerchip.com/diablo-3-for-consoles-360-ps3/

RUMOUR

Blizzard COO Paul Sams has suggested that there is the possibility of bringing Diablo 3 to the console market, but suggested that he would want to see console gamers able to play against PC players. "One question mark I have is whether the console owners would allow PC players to play against console gamers." says Sams, "I think the answer gets a lot easier if the console owners say yes. But at the moment they do like to have closed systems."

At the moment, the only console that could make this vision possible is the 360. Although it has not proven particularly popular, the cross platform connection has already been utilised, see Shadowrun. Is Sams saying as much here? "When you are developing for multiple platforms you sometimes have to compromise. We aren't willing to compromise. We have relationships with all the console manufacturers. I know they would love to have us on their platforms, ideally on their own and not their competitor! But it's all about the game experience."

If this is the case, who could offer the best experience? And without hating on the PS3 fans, who are living in a time where they are on the cusp of a very positive turning point, you would have to say that a fair conclusion from these words is that if we were to see Diablo 3 on a console it might first appear on the 360.

Blizzard interview - Diablo 3 console version a possibility

I sat down with Blizzard COO Paul Sams at this weekend's World Wide Invitational Event in Paris and talked Diablo 3, the WoW movie and why he thinks the PC gaming market doing just fine.

June 30, 2008 9:15 AM

From: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives...ossibility.html

Paul Sams is COO of Blizzard Entertainment, the developers of World of Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft. I sat down with him at this weekend's World Wide Invitational Event in Paris and talked Diablo 3, the WoW movie and why he thinks the PC gaming market is doing just fine.

Diablo 3 then, why now?

Because the team wanted to make it. They had come up with enough new things to differentiate it from the past. Whenever we make a new game we aim to make it genre defining and to take it to the next level and differentiate it from the past. I like to say we are genre definers. We look at what the team have done and what others have done and try and find out what works and what doesn't. Then we try and fix that. But the most important thing is that the team wanted to make Diablo 3. We only hire gamers and we let them decide what they want to make. If they are going to put three or four years of their life into a project we want them to have a passion for it. If we asked them to do a rodeo clown game they would probably not be excited. But if we ask them to create what they want to play there is a real commitment there.

Any plans to bring Diablo 3 to console?

I don't know yet. A lot of it depends on whether we think the gameplay experience will be the same on console, especially regarding the controls. Also I'd like to keep our audience together. One question mark I have is whether the console owners would allow PC players to play against console gamers. I think the answer gets a lot easier if the console owners say yes. But at the moment they do like to have closed systems. But you know, I think what it really it comes down to is the game itself. We want to deliver what is the best experience possible so the controls and everything else have to be perfect. When you are developing for multiple platforms you sometimes have to compromise. We aren't willing to compromise. We have relationships with all the console manufacturers. I know they would love to have us on their platforms, ideally on their own and not their competitor! But it's all about the game experience.

Will the Activision deal have any impact on whether Blizzard takes their games to the consoles?

Only in the sense that as a combined company if we decide to go cross platform then Activision's strength and knowledge in that market will give us a better chance of succeeding. But just because we are merging with Activision doesn't mean you will start seeing Blizzard console games. You will if it is the right case for the game but that ultimately depends on the game we are making at the time.

Next year for Diablo 3 then?

(Laughs)It will be ready when it's ready.

If you take a wider look at the games industry it's clear that there is a real move towards casual gaming. But Blizzard is very much a core gamers company. Worried?

I disagree that Blizzard makes games for core gamers only. With the design and development culture we've always had - easy to learn hard to master - we've crossed that bridge. All our games have the content that the core folks want. But all our games are gradually graded and welcoming. The ramping is so gradual. There are so many people I have spoken to who say to me they have never played anything like WoW before and absolutely love it. They don't fit in the core 18-35 category. We've blown traditional audience notions out of the window. We have loads of women playing, lots of older folk. Yes there is a growing demand for more causal gaming but we see that as an opportunity to reach out further.

So how do you take WoW to the next level?

We are still doing really well with WoW. I really think there is a huge growth in the game and not just from broadening out into new markets like Russia. We expect a huge influx when Lich King launches and not just from people returning but also from new players who see the advertising and store activity round the release. Also if you look at the data some of the MMO's that came before us are having their most successful time in years 5,6 or 7. I still feel there is a lot left. We have countless ideas for future expansions. I speak to the developers and they think Lich King is better than the first expansion, Burning Crusade. And they think that it's better than the original game. You may think developers would get jaded after working on a product for so long. But when they are saying that Lich King is so exciting and the best they have worked on then that is just music to my ears. I'm really excited.

Piracy and console-only development of some big franchises, is the PC market in trouble?

I think the PC is incredibly healthy. It's all about making great games. If you make great games I genuinely believe people will want to play. We've heard all the doom and gloom about the PC for years. The analysts are wrong. Go back and read the reports from three or four years ago and see how much they get wrong. We are never chasers of technology and we make our games with a low barrier to entry. Our games run fine on older PCs which makes us much more competitive then those companies that make their game accessible only to owners of very high-end PCs. It's a focus of ours to make the specs as low as possible. This makes us figure out how to make the best with less. We work intelligently to make things happen on lower specced machines.

How's the movie going?

We're in the second or third draft at the moment. We're interviewing directors and have added two of the producers of the Dark Knight as well. They are onboard. I'm so excited about that. The directors we have spoken to have put forward their ideas and we're making progress. We're as confident as ever in Legendary Pictures as they did a great job on the Dark Knight. Will we make 2009? Time is tight and things would have to go really right for that to happen. I wouldn't rule 2009 out but like our games we only want to release when are happy. I don't think it's too far away though.

My future just saw the loss of how much ever money it needs to buy this, as well as the number of hours it'll take to finish the game. :D

And here I was hoping I'd actually be able to focus on college in 2009 / 2010 :(:O

Piracy and console-only development of some big franchises, is the PC market in trouble?

I think the PC is incredibly healthy. It's all about making great games. If you make great games I genuinely believe people will want to play. We've heard all the doom and gloom about the PC for years. The analysts are wrong. Go back and read the reports from three or four years ago and see how much they get wrong. We are never chasers of technology and we make our games with a low barrier to entry. Our games run fine on older PCs which makes us much more competitive then those companies that make their game accessible only to owners of very high-end PCs. It's a focus of ours to make the specs as low as possible. This makes us figure out how to make the best with less. We work intelligently to make things happen on lower specced machines.

I really think a lot more PC developers need to think about this.

You don't need to make a game look like s**t to make it run well on most PCs. Even an 8600GT with 2 gigs of RAM and a half decent proccy is a hell of a good specced machine that should be able to compete with what the 360 and PS3 offer.

Problem is most PC developers don't appreciate the hardware they work on as much as they should. Then when no one buys the game they complaint about piracy.

Look at a game like Sims 2. When it came out it looked fantastic (it still looks good) but it wasn't a hardware hog and it sold by the bucket loads. Look at Call of duty 4 (or Cod 2) you could run CoD4 on the above machine at fairly high settings and it looked and played superbly. It sold well. Same goes for Bioshock. And Company of heroes. And the Orange box.

Then you had Crysis which struggled on my 8800 GTS if settings were turned up. And Crytek put the blame solely on piracy. Sorry Crytek, if the game didn't sell it wasn't all the fault of the pirates part of the blame lies with you as well.

:D OMFG!!!! :) The rumors are True!!! D3 is here. (Kisses nearby colleague ) . I can't express how happy I am that blizzard didn't make this an MMO and transform it into milking cow, although this would do very well as an MMO.

Does anyone know any approximate release dates? I planning to get a 30" monitor by then. :wOOtjumpy:

P.S. - Doesn't the barbarian at some points look like Kratos?

I'm pretty sure D3 will not require fancy hardware. A decent computer with a gfx card from the last couple of years should be able to run it fine. But I guess by the time Blizzard releases it I'll probably have a new rig anyway...

As for a console version, even if it does happen, the PC version already has my money!

Diablo III Rob Pardo Interview

How Diablo III stays random, why it's colorful, and how it borrows from...God of War?

Leonard Boyarsky (read yesterday's interview here) wasn't the only big Blizzard developer we spoke to this past weekend in Paris. Even though he has a fancy title like "Executive Vice President of Design" -- he jokes that he's leveled up since our last conversation -- Rob Pardo isn't just another suit. He's a gamer through and through, still actively playing many of his company's own games and even some others. We had a chance to sit down with Pardo and get his eagle's eye perspective on Diablo III.

1UP: So how long have you been keeping this secret called Diablo III?

Rob Pardo: We've been working on it for quite a long time. We actually started the game at Blizzard North before we closed the studio down and brought it down south. When it came down to Irvine, we did kind of a big reboot on the project. How long has that been, maybe about three years now?

1UP: You've said that StarCraft II is a "re-imagination", not a revamp. Is that how you'd describe Diablo III?

RP: I would say it's kind of fair to compare it to how we approach StarCraft II. We're probably doing more of a radical shift with Diablo III. Just with the look of the game itself, to making it more visceral, and we're trying to add a lot more story elements, so I'd say it's somewhere between StarCraft II and WarCraft III in terms of how far away it strays from its predecessor.

1UP: Diablo II solidified the action-RPG genre further, but that was back in 2000. How do you keep Diablo III relevant to a modern audience?

RP: I think ultimately the gameplay is still very solid, and I think keeping it relevant is kind of building upon technology and really trying to learn not only from previous Diablo games, but also from all the other games in other genres. That's one of the things we really looked at a lot, the idea of, "this is an action-RPG, with (hopefully) a capital-A on the action." So we really wanted to make the game a lot more visceral. We kind took some cues from God of War and games like that. You know, really trying to ratchet up the visceral feel of the game to an 11 on a scale of 1-10.

1UP: As a Diablo fan, I love the randomized dungeons. One thing that somewhat concerns me is the use of scripted events. Don't get me wrong, it's cool to have moments like bosses tearing through walls like the Kool-Aid man. But does that mean having scripted events negates having random dungeons? Can you touch on the randomness to be found in Diablo III?

RP: Sure, Diablo III is still going to have quite a bit of randomized content. The dungeons will still be very randomized, similar to what you've seen before. The exterior world, well, we're going to make it a little bit more static from an environment standpoint, but we will still be randomizing events and monsters across the terrain. We're really trying to find the right balance between the two. Because we want to build more of a world that you can kind of learn and fall in love with, than what we were able to do with Diablo II which was so randomized in the exterior world. So we're trying to that right kind of balance between Diablo I and Diablo II dungeons, but with maybe a bit more of a World of Warcraft exterior experience, to really learn these lands, learn towns, learn where NPCs are.

1UP: Speaking of the WOW experience, other action-RPG games have attempted a subscription model of sorts, can you talk at all about that for Diablo III?

RP: Well, ultimately, we'll decide on the final business model of the game in the future, but I don't think you're going to see a subscription model in the realm of WOW. It's a boxed product game, it will be more similar to say, the Diablo II or the StarCraft II model.

1UP: What are the main highlights or standout features of Diablo III? Besides the more visceral feel, that you mentioned earlier....

RP: I would say, um, god, a lot of things, really. You said beside the visceral, so I'll jump past that. A much more immersive story, and I think that's a challenge because we still want to be an action-paced game. But we feel like there's ways to bring in more immersive, more interesting story RPG elements and still keep the game as fast-paced as the previous games. That's a major area for us. Another thing I think you're going to see that's really different with the game is the look and feel of the game. It's a much more colorful game, but it still has that dark, gothic sort of feel of the previous games. So I think it really looks a lot more fresh, and it's obviously in 3D, and we're using Havok physics, so it's a much more dynamic environment.

1UP: On the subject of Diablo III being a more colorful game, there's already comments online about the color palette. Can you talk about how the team arrived at the decision for a wider color palette?

RP: Yeah, so we've probably been through, I don't know, maybe three major art direction changes on the game. And the previous two were probably a little more similar to the Diablo II look. But it just didn't feel right anymore. It didn't feel like an interesting enough environment to play in anymore. So when we finally came up with this look, what we're really trying to do is add more color to the game, and we were very careful to not want to go to WOW. We don't want the game to look like WOW. We want it to look like Diablo. But we felt that there was an opportunity to add more color to the game but still keep the game feeling dark. And I think that's something a little tougher to see in a demo. I think when you're playing the game, people will fall in love with it, and will realize, "you know what? You can have reds and blues and a more painted look and still have a very dark, gothic feel to it all."

1UP: Again, as a Diablo fan, I'll just say that I was a "Hammerdin" (hammer-focused Paladin) in Diablo II, and was a bit sad that you showed other classes instead. Can you talk about how the team arrived at showcasing the Barbarian and the Witch Doctor?

RP: Just lots of arguing and debating until we decided. The Barbarian was the easy one for us, because he's one of the few classes that's coming over into the new game, and we thought that'd be a great opportunity to really show people what's new about Diablo III through the lens of a class that people have already played. So you can really see what's different about the game through just watching the Barbarian. We also wanted to show something new, and we argued quite a bit about which class to focus on and show to the public. The Witch Doctor won out.

1UP: Will it be similar to Diablo II, where it's around five, maybe a few more, classes in the core game?

RP: I don't think we're saying today, but it will be very similar to the previous games. [Note: This was asked and answered before the FAQ for the Diablo III site went up, where five classes were confirmed.]

1UP: Can you talk about any specific Battle.net changes that will be made for Diablo III?

RP: Battle.net is in constant evolution; for each game we really add a lot of features to Battle.net. And right now we're really focusing on the Battle.net features for StarCraft II. But we definitely have been keeping Diablo III in mind also. I think probably sometimes towards the end of the year, we're going to really start talking about the new Battle.net features as they pertain to StarCraft 2, and a lot of those features will carry over to Diablo III.

1UP: As a bonus nostalgia kick, the demo had Deckard Cain. Are there any other nostalgic bits you can touch on? Will Wirt be the key to the cow level?

RP: There is no cow level!

1UP: Okay, will something happen if I type that phrase in when you actually let non-Blizzard people play it?

RP: [Laughs.] You'll have to wait and see.

1UP: I know the team has been working on this, and the Blizzard statement is that it'll be released "when it's ready." Can you at least measure Diablo III's development cycle as compared to other titles being concurrently developed at Blizzard?

RP: The development cycle will be more like StarCraft 2. Wrath of the Lich King is an expansion set to a game that's very established in technology, pipeline, team, and everything else. Diablo III is a full-blown new product for us so it will be similar to StarCraft 2.

1UP: Okay, Sophie's Choice moment: If you can only play one of the three games you have in development, which one?

RP: What kind of question is that? It's not very realistic, because I'll get to play all three!

1UP: But it's a Sophie's Choice question! It's not meant to be realistic! It's just picking a favorite child!

RP: Well, do you have children?

1UP: Well, just one.

RP: I'd ask if you had two, and you could only save one from a boat, could you choose?

1UP: I might actually be pragmatic enough to choose if it came down to that....

RP: Well, you're a better man than me, because I know I can't choose.

Player Killing is out, PvP is in

"I definitely remember running with my friends, and someone toggles it, and bam everyone is dead and your one friend is laughing. Ok, ok, good joke I guess, and then you run back and *bam*, you’ve toggled it to get them back. After a while everyone usually agrees to a truce because it’s just a waste of time. But I also remember running with random players and losing extremely nice items because of it, not cool. I’m sure that it was a feature that was right up some people’s alleys, I won’t deny there are some that would enjoy nothing more than to see others frustrated, but is that truly something that should be encouraged through design - if not directly opposed?

We have a large focus on cooperative play for Diablo III, and the mechanics and design decisions related to multiplayer are likely going to be based on supporting and encouraging it as much as possible, and not breaking it down.

That doesn’t mean that PvP won’t have its own focus, but those are details and features we aren’t yet discussing."

I am soooo late to the party - blame it on age. But I did see all the videos. All that is sweet and holy have commingled to present D3 - sigggggggghhhhhh. Dreams are going to come true.

Let's go through the checklist:

Hordes of enemies - check

Random items - check

Skill trees - check

Isometric view - check

Dungeon Crawls - check

Yup - sounds like the king of clickfests is back. Better stock up on mice, medicine for carpal tunnel syndrome and shall plan a sabbatical as soon as the release date is announced.

I love some of the new stuff:

Health globes from enemies, Reactive environments, Witch doctor looks uber sick, and the bosses look impressive. If you haven't seen the trailer check out the boss at the end - fiendishly big.

So the new list is:

D3 > FO3 > SC2 > FF IV DS