Tyler

Torchlight_logo.png

Genre: RPG

Developer: Runic Games

Publisher: Runic Games

Release Date: 27 Oct 2009

Platform: PC

OVERVIEW

Behold Torchlight, a fresh new Action RPG franchise developed by Runic Games. Torchlight is being developed in Seattle team by a veteran team composed of the designers and leads of projects like Diablo, Diablo II, Mythos, and Fate. Our team has spent many years honing and evolving this unique style of gameplay.

The adventure is set in the mining settlement of Torchlight, a boomtown founded on the discovery of rich veins of Ember - a rare and mysterious ore with the power to enchant or corrupt all that it contacts. This corruptive power may have dire consequences however, and players set out into the nearby mountains and depths below to discover the full extent of Ember’s influence on the civilizations that have come before.

Runic Games will initially release Torchlight as a standalone Single Player game, Torchlight will be released in the latter part of 2009 as a download or in box. Following the single player release, work will commence on a fully-featured MMO version.

-------------------------

Players will choose from among three character classes, and venture from the safety of the town of Torchlight into randomly generated dungeon levels, with a huge variety of creepy monsters, endless variations of loot to find, and quests to complete. The endless randomization ensures a long-lived gameplay experience.

• Randomization - Our level layouts are randomly created, so each adventure is unique. Monsters, treasures, puzzles, and items are also different each time you embark on an adventure
  • Easy, approachable interface - Torchlight is designed to be easy to play right from the beginning. The intuitive interface gives players easy access to a rich and varied world
  • Retirement System - Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks to new characters
  • Pets - Players will choose a pet to accompany them. Pets can level up along with the player, and will help in battle, carry items, and perform a variety of helpful services
  • Character Classes - Players will create and customize a character from one of three classes available, and choose an animal companion. Through cosmetic choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character will be custom-tailored and different
  • Fishing - Players can take a break from the high-energy pace of adventuring to visit one of the fishing holes and relax and see what they can catch. Fish have interesting benefits for the player and pet, and other rewards can also be discovered
  • Included Editor - Runic Games is embracing our modding community by including an editor so our players can create and design their own content

SCREENSHOTS

E3-bridge-fight-troll-lava_thumb.jpg E3-crypt-depth_thumb.jpg 1-year-stomp_thumb.png

08272009-vanquisher-01_thumb.png 08272009-vanquisher-03_thumb.png E3-stomp-crypt_thumb.jpg

LINKS

Official Website

Read some impressions. Sounds like it's a very addictive Diablo clone with a fantastic art style and surprisingly low system requirements. It's available on Steam for $19.99.

I'm getting it!

Runic Games will initially release Torchlight as a standalone Single Player game, Torchlight will be released in the latter part of 2009 as a download or in box. Following the single player release, work will commence on a fully-featured MMO version.

so as of now, there's no co-op to speak of?

I dunno man, to me the name sounds very RPG-ish. It's still better than how JRPGs are named (The World Ends With You) :D

It also has something to do with the fact that most of the game is set in underground mines.

I played the game for an hour last night - you have a choice of three characters... a buff barbarian type dude, a cute lady-assassin who wields guns and bow-n-arrows, and an alchemist.

Started with the cute assassin (of course), had fun crawling through the first few dungeon levels of the game. Concepts are identical to Diablo - TP, identify scrolls, rare items, the works. Very pretty game, looking forward to playing more when I get home!

Dear Diablo fans,

There is no reason why you should not drop $20 on this and get it asap. It should run on all computers (even netbooks and ancient PCs) and it's possibly the best Diablo-clone you'll play until the real deal comes out (God knows when). In fact calling it a Diablo-clone is an understatement. It is Diablo complete with everything you love and hate about it. The inventory and map system is better though. There are only three classes but they are all clear-cut... a barbarian, a mage and a ranger. I started with the Alchemist who is sorta like a steampunk magician. Very cool. You also have a pet who accompanies you all the time and can be sent back to town to sell useless junk. He can also fight well and so far hasn't died on me.

There's tons of loot to be found with unique item sets and whatnot. Like I said, everything you love about the big D. The game looks very pretty despite the low requirements. Think Fable meets WarCraft III with a Diablo-like interface. The screenshots don't do it justice, it looks amazing in motion especially with a constant 60+ fps.

It could quite possibly end up becoming my favorite game of this year (no jokes). I started playing this and Uncharted 2 today and guess which game has me hooked on it more? I need to get some sleep before I get to work but I feel like jumping back into it.

Well, once again, kindly spend $20 and get it ASAP. Gramps, reaper, Afty, ninja, Keyo, Keez... you guys have no excuses. Just get the damn thing already!

Regards,

Tyler

lvl 9 Alchemist

Archived