Official Wii-U Thread

• 1 month later...
Nintendo Wii U to Launch After March 2012

Nintendo said Friday its new Wii U game console will go on sale during the next fiscal year that begins in April, and the company will look to avoid the problems it has had with its latest handheld.

"Based on the bitter experiences we have had with the Nintendo 3DS, we are making every effort to prepare so that the Wii U will not stumble during its launch," said Nintendo president Satoru Iwata.

Iwata said the final version of the console will be on display at the E3 conference which is set for June in Los Angeles. That suggests the company will begin shipping the Wii U after summer but in time for the 2012 holiday season, in keeping with past launches.

The Wii U has a set-up box similar to the current Wii, but also has a small tablet-like gamepad that is linked wirelessly and has dual thumb-controlled joysticks and control buttons. The tablet can be used together with the main box to play games shown on a TV, or independently on its own smaller screen.

Nintendo has said the high-definition game system will have strong third-party developer tools and will launch together with well-known titles. But the company rankled game fans when it showed footage from other game systems at presentations for the Wii U during last year's E3.

Iwata spoke about Nintendo's results for its first half that ended in September, which it released Thursday. The company slashed its outlook for the fiscal year through March and now expects a ¥20 billion (US$263 million) net loss, after saying just three months ago it could make an annual ¥20 billion profit. In May the company had predicted a net profit of ¥110 billion.

He said the losses were due in part to large price cuts on the 3DS the company made less than six months after its launch, but he expected a strong holiday season based on the large number of games for the handheld that are due over the coming months.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/242772/nintendo_wii_u_to_launch_after_march_2012.html

• 2 months later...

Wii U to launch by end of 2012

Will be out by Christmas in all major markets

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has confirmed the Wii U will be available in Japan, Europe and the US by the end of the year.

Iwata confirmed the release date at the investor meeting following the release of the company's Q3 financial results.

Nintendo first hinted at a release window earlier this month, when US boss Reggie Fils-Aime said "Wii U will launch some time between E3 - which is in June - at the end of the year so essentially the second half of the year.

src:CVG

Yoshinori Ono: Wii U features have advanced since E3 reveal

"What we saw last E3 is not a reflection of everything this console is able to offer. We have been trying the development kits and some of its new characteristics will improve its possibilities. It isn't something like Kinect or similar accessories, it's something different.

"I can't tell you more about it because, if I do, Nintendo will send assassins to finish me!" Ono added. "But let's say that Wii U will be a console with so many and unique possibilities that it will be difficult to show them in the box they are going to sell it or to be published by magazines and other mediums."

^^ lol, thats typical marketing lingo :rofl: If they features are indeed as unique as claimed by ninty, they would market the hell out of it in a heartbeat ! Anyway, I'm still excited for this one, such a long wait for the next gen to begin....interesting to see how MS/Sony will react !

^^ lol, thats typical marketing lingo :rofl: If they features are indeed as unique as claimed by ninty, they would market the hell out of it in a heartbeat ! Anyway, I'm still excited for this one, such a long wait for the next gen to begin....interesting to see how MS/Sony will react !

Imho I dont see Wii-U as next gen console...the way i look at it is HDfied version of Wii with a new type of controller thrown in....

Imho I dont see Wii-U as next gen console...the way i look at it is HDfied version of Wii with a new type of controller thrown in....

:lol:

Dont worry. It will seem plenty next gen when Sony rips off the controller idea. Again.

:lol:

Dont worry. It will seem plenty next gen when Sony rips off the controller idea. Again.

okay... just like how microsoft ripped off eye toy with Kinect....and sony R&D team was already working on motion controller since ps2...they even launched a video before....but go ahead keep telling yourself that if it makes you happy. :)

Damn MS and Nintendo. Stealing Sony's ideas. :rant:

But I am sure Sony will again innovate just as they did with the PS3. That sure wasnt the PS2 in HD without a new controller.

Evil Microsoft and Nintendo stealing Sony's idea and patenting them

And Sony ripping off move from Wii :rofl:

The only difference is that Wii sells while move doesnt

Damn MS and Nintendo. Stealing Sony's ideas. :rant:

But I am sure Sony will again innovate just as they did with the PS3. That sure wasnt the PS2 in HD without a new controller.

when i said hdfied version of wii i meant in terms of power....i am sure you too know that next xbox and playstation consoles will pack much more power than wii-u ....again making it look like last gen in terms of graphics ....just how wii games look like compared to ps3 and xbox.

Woah. I had no idea you had access to that kind of insider info at Sony/MS and Ninty. So all three companies told you their specs huh?

And here I was think we barely had any credible rumors when you are sitting on confirmed info already.

Archived