Number of games played :- LOTS! Own gaming laptop, 2 360's and a PS3
Favorites :- GTA4, Mafia 1, AC2, GOW collection, GeOW collection, UC2 etc etc hundreds
Wow... So I was waiting and really REALLY looking forward to an awesome game from R*, and who could possibly be let down by a game with the R* stamp on it?
Boy was I sadly mistaken....
Bullet point review-
- A game that lets you in the shoes of a cop turning detective and rising in the ranks. Different? Yes. But not really such a big deal imo.
- Only half decent story missions, which could be copied from the millions of thriller novels everywhere. No ingenuity.
- Absolutely ZILCH re-playability.
- Which bright a*s developer thought it would be a good idea to NOT be able to skip through cut scenes? Every single damn f**king thing, you have to sit through in case you die, or your PS3 got reset or you want to replay only the last bit of the mission. No checkpoint save system. A whole case is one chapter, and if you finish it well and good, but if you don't get mind f**ked having to sit through cheesy a*s comments and dialogue all over again.
- Side missions? What a joke. If you sit in a cop car, you'll hear a radio call, answer it and bear witness to another horrible HORRIBLE mini story game.
- There is NO competitive/challenging shooting whatsoever in this game. NONE. Games made in the 1990's, that could run on a 'resource-hungry' 64mb ram have a better gunplay component to it.
- All side missions are just an elongated cutscene. That's it. Run after a criminal. Tap X to grab unto the one's you're allowed to. The ones you're not, you shoot. No shooting guns out of anyone's hands or even rendering them handicapped by popping their knees or legs out. Seriously? So you end up just chasing the criminal till he gets a hostage, and then pump a bullet into his head. ALWAYS the same cutscene of a person being stretchered into an ambulance/van to the morgue. Great crime handling.
- The one thing they were harping on about in this entire game was about facial expressions. What perhaps people stopped to think about in all their excitement was how facial expressions work relating to psychology. I have read through psychology and the science of human body language, and the movements of the face(actually body language comprises whole body, not only the face geniuses, funnily enough it's almost never the face that gives away the true meaning) besides the time they're telling the truth are pretty much way WAY off.
- It feels like the developers at Team Bondi got smashed one Friday night and decided to come up with a game over the weekend. Oh and they invited along a bunch of 5 year olds to play the role of a think tank on 'action scenes', because we all know how cool an experienced heavy duty gamer likes to climb over the pipes of each and every f**king building in the city. Oh sorry, did I forget mentioning they asked their parents and their local librarians to give them a list of best selling thriller stories and lame Jack the Ripper rip-offs, compiled their storyline in about 6-8 hours and proceeded to let the poor techno geeks at R* come up with the rest of the playability part of the game.
- Fillers, fillers and MOAR fillers. Drive your cop car from the HQ to crime scene and back (Oh and in the middle will be the to-die-for 'side missions') walk around tapping X. Listen to abuses and berating from your latest partner as you keep getting up the ranks and how he goes from teaching a rookie like you to being inspired and recommending you for the next promotion.
- You cannot boast of the simple graphics of this game, it's 2011 as is. Either come out with Crysis/Uncharted type game-industry revolutionizing graphics or leave them be ignored.
- The only thing worthy in the entire BluRay is the audio/soundtracks which barely take 1/1000th of the size.
I didn't like the game, I was sure about that. But the amount of dislike for this game is pretty much pouring out now that I've sat down to write a review on it.
My verdict. I wouldn't play this game if I got it for free. Unfortunately I have paid for it and currently other games I want to be playing haven't arrived yet, so I'm stuck with this, it honestly feels like a pain, thinking about sitting down and trying to get some unheard/overlooked joy that his game could give me. No doubt in my mind once I get Dead Space 2/Uncharted 3 beta this is getting sold off for half the cost price, as minty as new, since it was never worthy of being used.
I haven't been so let down by a game since Mafia 2.
Take a good look at these two pictures, that's pretty much going to give you all you need to know and all you're going to look at in this game. Seriously.
Edited by newuxtreme, 24 June 2011 - 03:41 PM.