Advertisement
Welcome to IndianVideoGamer.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Review: Street Fighter X Tekken

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

CM Sunny

CM Sunny

Killers In Action - KZ2 Champs

• IVG Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
  • PSN ID:devilincarnated
  • Now Playing:Bible Black
Posted Image

~Introduction~

Hype, a word which distinguishes the fighting game community from the others. Fighting games strive on hype, more is the hype, more is the success.
So one wonders what do we get when two of the most hyped brands in the fighting game universe clash together to from a crossover of epic proportion?
We get a bland game, which tries to be so many things at the same time, that it fails to create an identity of its own.
Truth be told, despite being a huge fan of fighting games, sfxt is perhaps the only game that I don't see myself playing lets say, few month from now.
It's not that it's a bad game(I kid, it is), it has many things going for it but the thing it lacks the most at this moment is the hype. It's just plain boring.

Posted Image
(Me & Ryu have somewhat similar experience)

~Gameplay~

Gameplay wise it's a mixed bag, there are some places where it shines but few gameplay decision that makes you question how can they allow this?
The nature of this game is a 2 vs 2 format with emphasis being placed on the tag team element. It's nicely implemented & perhaps this is the only fighter that allows 2 vs 2 online,
unlike Mortal Kombat 9. Offline battles can be really fun & chaotic when played with friends. A single player controls two characters while if you opt to play with a friend you both control each character.
It supports upto 4 players offline & 2 players online. This is one of the strength of this title & it clearly flaunts it.

As a Capcom title, it uses a modified version of the sf engine however Tekken characters are beautifully implemented with their unique playstyle & movesets.
They have many different options to counter the zoning playstyle of their SF counterparts. This is a welcome change & I applaud that. The roster is quite beefy with 12 additional characters planned(guess you all already knew that).Also the exclusives(read: troll) characters are real fun to use. They managed to put a smile on my face, something which the game was unable to do.

Meter building in this game is real fast & has a variety of uses. You can use it for EX moves which are the stronger version of your normal special moves. You can use it for Cross Assault, it causes two meter but is really powerful & usually ends in your partner using his ultra. Also available as an option is the Cross Rush option, which uses your entire meter but allows your partner(AI/Partner controlled ) to join the attack while the meter drains. You can also punish after blocking using 'Cross Cancel' at the cost of a meter.
This game also features Super Arts which is another name for the Ultras from SF4. The unique thing in SFxT is that you can charge a special to turn it into a Super Art at no meter cost. Expect to see a lot of Shinku Hadokens.
This game plays a bit like Mvc3 where you use launcher after a hit conform, here however your you partner gets tagged instead & you use him to continue the pain. Combo timing is easier than SF4 but bit strict than Umvc3.This(chains) will predominate your gameplay, much like the footsies in SF4. There is also a roll option which can be used during knockdown, it kills much of the wakeup option & punishing it requires carful spacing & timing as you are invincible during the roll.

Posted Image

~Gameplay Flaws~

Now this is the part where the game falls flat on its face. It has many prevalent flaws that makes the experience rather unsatisfying as the hours you input into it starts increasing.
One of the major flaws is the clock timer. It goes too fast & continues during the Super/Cross attack's animation, resulting in majority of match ending in timeout. This combined with long stages, slow walk speed adds to the frustration when the opponent gets a life lead they just jump from one end to other in order to waste time & there is nothing you can do about it. Mvc3 had its teleports which this game lacks. Not to mention how easy this becomes due to the roll feature.

Another thing which is really surprising is that the throws were nerfed heavily. The range was reduced, damage was decreased & frames were increased so it comes out real slow.Most of the Tekken cast lacks decent anti airs, therefore to anti air you need to exchange an air to air attack which is always 50-50. Damage scaling is very high, so there is no point in doing flashy combos, the games shrinks to two opponents mashing jab(L attacks) in order to execute the tag combos
Another frustrating thing is the strict timing of crouching blocks, most of the time the game doesn't registers them, which is a chore while blocking high low mixups of the Tekken characters. The priority of jump attacks is real high, which results in people jumping more than a grasshopper on drugs.Another thing that I hate is that the so called "Pandora Mode" where you sacrificed one character for boost, is so horribly implemented that it's totally worthless. There are so many other issues but I don't even want to think about them. My doctor advised me against excessive salt.

Result: Boring to watch, Boring to play(For non casuals)

Posted Image
(It will make you see more zeros than your report card)

~Offline~

Arcade mode is the trademark of the fighting games & SFxT features a 2vs2 arcade mode. After completing the series of fights you'll face your rivals & then the boss.On defeating the boss you get a fmv ending however the catch is that you must use official teams for that. If you use mixed teams according to your liking, you'll be rewarded a text based ending. Aside from this you can enjoy the challenge mode which features Trials,Challenges & a tutorial mode that gives you the hang of the game. Tutorial mode is hosted by Capcom's very own troll character Dan Hibiki.
You also have access to a training mode & a versus mode. These are the two modes in which you'll be spending the majority of your time if your internet is low tier.

~Customization & Gems~

This game features very low amount of alternate colors for you to use, 4 in fact & that too two of them being black & white. Perhaps additional colors might be provided as dlc in future.Also available for you to customize are quick combos, for one block of meter you can use these automatic combos if you don't wanna risk a dropped combo. This will undoubtedly help casuals & newb.

~Gems~

Perhaps my biggest gripe with this game. Gems are customizable units that can be equipped upon your characters, 3 at a time.
There are mainly two types of gems: Boost gems & Assist gems. Boost gems have different effects such as increasing speed,attack etc while assist gems are this game's version of shortcuts.Perhaps a step ahead of Umvc3's 'Simple Mode'. They have varying effects such as simplifying attack motions(such as Quarter Circle Forwards,360 etc) & stuff like auto block/throw escape. The usually have some kind of downside attached such asreduction in attack power, meter cost etc. Mainly aimed at casuals they can also be deadly in the hands of pros.

Now comes the bad part, setting up gems is a real chore. They could have made it so that you set up few common combination that can be used on all characters but currently you have to edit each character's gem unit individually.This is really boring however from what I know this issue will be addressed in the upcoming tournament(read: savior) patch. Another thing that I hate about the gems especially the assist gems is that it hampers the growth of newbs. Unless you learn the game you would be easily defeated by people who know how to escape/punish. Gems however kills the drive to learn. If you have the option to kick someone in the nuts, why would you bother with punching,dodging & other worthless things eh? There are many dlc gems that will be available in the future, I find this irritating as I feel there should be a leveled battle ground.Also gems are banned in tournaments(EVO), I guess that really kills any momentum they had for actual daily use.

Posted Image
(4, actually 5 redeeming features in the above pic)

~Online~

Now online is really debatable. SFxT used GGPO, which is both a boon & bane. If your connection is good then this is perhaps the best netcode yet, however if you have sub par internet(Hello my fellow Indians, "Karlo Duniya Mutthi May") then the netcode is beyond terrible. Online also suffers from a weird sound glitch which is really Capcom's fault & I'll suggest playing with sound off or with your ipod on. Also something I hate is the lack of 'Player Matches' option which was available in Mvc3(another Capcom fighter). Can I please have my rematch option, Capcom? One thing I liked was 'Pair Play', which is basically 2 vs 2 & 2 vs 1 online. You can also inite a friend to your training room. Cheers to that.
Posted Image
(I rather have a bear troll me than play this online)

~Graphics~

Oh god, does this game look ugly? Nope, it looks bland & ugly. Color scheme is terrible & menu design even worse. It's a pain in eyes to look at it & it always gives out an aura of dullness.Seriously Capcom, what went wrong? hire better artists please. Characters models are decent, better than SF4 at least. Not the best looking fighter, I prefer Mvc3 over it any day.

Posted Image
(You are beautiful, you are beautiful, it's a lie)

~Sound~

Horrible, just freaking horrible. From the uninspiring opening track to the boring background tracks, the OST is seriously sub par.

~Ending Notes~

Street Fighter x Tekken is really a game that evokes mixed reaction. It tries to do many thing, be many things but stops short on executing them perfectly.
It has potential, it has many things going for it, it's fun offline but overall it's just simply 'Boring'. Listen to the community Capcom, listen to them & fix this as soon as you can.
Until then, I'll just repeat the famous words of a man who has an US flag tattoo on his arm & a cool haircut.
"Go Home SFxT & be a family game."

Posted Image
(Maybe I'll give it a try occasionally, when I think everything is good in my life & I need to balance it out)

(+) Huge varied roster
(+) Transition of tekken character is well implemented
(+) 2 vs 2 is really fun with friends
(+) Netcode is great if your connection is good.

(-) Netcode is downright horrible for bad/decent connection
(-) Sound glitch kills what's left of the online experience
(-) Horrible menu design & overall aesthetics
(-) Various broken gameplay features
(-) Boring to play/Unsatisfactory experience in the long run
(-) Unsatisfactory implementation of the gems feature
(-) Very less amount of customization

VERDICT: 5/10

Title: Street Fighter x Tekken
Developer: Capcom
Genre: Fighter
Age Rating: T
Platforms: Xbox 360/PS3
Reviewed on: Ps3

Edited by Thank You Based Sunny, 09 April 2012 - 03:21 PM.

• Br0keN 1riS, TheSteamRoller and DishuBOSS like this
Posted Image

Shadoken

Shadoken

IVG Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,439 posts
  • XBL GT:ShadokenZX
  • PSN ID:Shadoken33
  • Steam:Shadoken33
Fair points and nice review ...The FG downfall has begun , 2012 :samui:

Also do you have to use a 2000px res SFxT logo >_>?

Edited by Shadoken, 09 April 2012 - 01:39 PM.

• CM Sunny likes this
Posted Image

darkniks

darkniks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts
  • XBL GT:nikslyon
  • PSN ID:darkniks

~Online~

Now online is really debatable. SFxT used GGPO, which is both a boon & bane. If your connection is good then this is perhaps the best netcode yet

yo check this

There are still some kinks that were working out with the netcode. I can tell you officially were not using the actual GGPO netcode that you know and love in its current form, Ono answered. I can also say it is not using the Street Fighter IV netcode as is. There are going to be distinct changes and improvements. I cant talk about those improvements or the system right now. Think of this as Im throwing a worm on a hook and Im going to reel you back in so youll come back and talk to us again!

http://shoryuken.com...-anna-and-ggpo/

Street Fighter X Tekken is using a new, different netcode than the Street Fighter IV series. I hope to demonstrate the specifics of it to everyone at a later date. This new netcode is not being used in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

http://shoryuken.com...per-sfxt-discs/

the lack of GGPO has caused its new, improved, godlik netcode to suck. Thats y ppl lag playin online with friends even though living in the same country :lol:

4tr5f6.jpg

CM Sunny

CM Sunny

• IVG Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

yo check this

the lack of GGPO has caused its new, improved, godlik netcode to suck. Thats y ppl lag playin online with friends even though living in the same country :lol:

see the dates on those articles.
SFxT uses a ggpo style rollback netcode. It's very much similar to ggpo. My mistake of calling it ggpo though
http://shoryuken.com...d-fight.157633/

P.S: We can't set desired frame delay though, that's why the choppy visuals

Edited by Thank You Based Sunny, 09 April 2012 - 03:03 PM.

Posted Image

Shadoken

Shadoken

IVG Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,439 posts
@niks They use the same type of Rollback method thats used in GGPO ..... there was an article about it look it up ... what sunny said is true , in countries where lag is less anyway the game is much better than the rest.... but otherwise not so much...

and lol wtf those are articles from last year :P

This is untrue.... just because a game uses GGPO doesnt automatically make it great.... 3S OE uses it and its not as good as 3s on ggpo ... the best online so far is still AE , and supposedly SC5 ...

Edited by Shadoken, 09 April 2012 - 03:06 PM.

Posted Image

CM Sunny

CM Sunny

• IVG Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
Shadow ninja'd
B)
Posted Image

darkniks

darkniks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts
ok

btw agree on SC5 on gud netcode, but 3S OE still has a better netcode compared to other fighters, most of my games were with negligible lag

but really after playin many rounds online in sfxt, I didn't find the netcode to be upto the mark. my problems

1. unable to spectate any match
2. Frame skipping
3. Laggy even amongst friends
4. Match-making a pain in the a*s

4tr5f6.jpg

Shadoken

Shadoken

IVG Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,439 posts
^^ you forgot about the sound
Posted Image

darkniks

darkniks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts
I always remove my headset whenever playin online

4tr5f6.jpg

avkash

avkash

IVG Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,154 posts
  • XBL GT:avkash
  • PSN ID:avkash_nagar
I have a huge problem with rolling and the timer, the thing is that rolling can be executed late so if I jump in the guy rolls, if I do not jump in and wait to time my next attack in the right direction the guy does not roll, I mean how the f**k do I cross up
Posted Image

CM Sunny

CM Sunny

• IVG Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I have a huge problem with rolling and the timer, the thing is that rolling can be executed late so if I jump in the guy rolls, if I do not jump in and wait to time my next attack in the right direction the guy does not roll, I mean how the f**k do I cross up

This gets more frustrating when people just run away to get the timeout victory. Walkspeeds are slow & stages way too large.
Fix this sh*t GG
Posted Image

sephi22

sephi22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • PSN ID:sephi22
  • Steam:sephi22
  • Now Playing:Catherine
Pretty great review. Same exact thoughts as mine. Though I think there's an error.

The nature of this game is a 2 vs 2 format with emphasis being placed on the tag team element. It's nicely implemented & perhaps this is the only fighter that allows 2 vs 2 online,
unlike Mortal Kombat 9.

Don't you mean like MK9? MK9 lets you play 2 vs 2 online, and allows for two different players to team up online and offline on the same console to fight online (on both consoles), something which SFxT does only on PS3

Fair points and nice review ...The FG downfall has begun , 2012 :samui:

Well, Skullgirl picks up the slack like a boss. Game's godlike yo

This is untrue.... just because a game uses GGPO doesnt automatically make it great.... 3S OE uses it and its not as good as 3s on ggpo ... the best online so far is still AE , and supposedly SC5 ...

SC5 and BB (all versions). I think UMvC3's next as its better than AE, but you're welcome to disagree with me on that. Can't say about Skullgirls yet, but people say its awesome and the ping indicator helps a ton.
3S OE netcode was actually pretty sub-par, all things considered.

CM Sunny

CM Sunny

• IVG Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Pretty great review. Same exact thoughts as mine. Though I think there's an error.

Don't you mean like MK9? MK9 lets you play 2 vs 2 online, and allows for two different players to team up online and offline on the same console to fight online (on both consoles), something which SFxT does only on PS3

2 vs 2 as in 4 different players online. I don't think that's possible, it does supports 2 players on the same console though.
I am not sure though, didn't get to try online much. :rolleyes:
Thanks btw

Well, Skullgirl picks up the slack like a boss. Game's godlike yo

:majesty: game is awesome, shadow is not B)

Edited by Thank You Based Sunny, 12 April 2012 - 10:17 PM.

Posted Image

sephi22

sephi22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

2 vs 2 as in 4 different players online. I don't think that's possible, it does supports 2 players on the same console though.

Now that you menyion it, Im not sure myself

CM Sunny

CM Sunny

• IVG Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Now that you menyion it, Im not sure myself

yea but I don't care anymore, Skullgirls is here.
Who are you maining btw?
I am looking more at Cerb & Parasoul.
Posted Image

sephi22

sephi22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Filia and Peacock as of now. Haven't really tried learning many combos. Did story mode for the most part

Shadoken

Shadoken

IVG Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,439 posts

SC5 and BB (all versions). I think UMvC3's next as its better than AE, but you're welcome to disagree with me on that. Can't say about Skullgirls yet, but people say its awesome and the ping indicator helps a ton.
3S OE netcode was actually pretty sub-par, all things considered.

Ill agree on SC5 and BB (dead game) .... but UMvC? the lag is simply terrible , even playing local players here its noticeable unlike AE .... AE is also better than 3soe and hdr as well , as for Skrullgirls even am not sure yet but the ping indicator is godlk...
Posted Image

slackerninja

slackerninja

Mamu got trolled

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,900 posts
  • Now Playing:Your broken heart
Comprehensively done. Good job sir.
Yes, IVG exists beyond this site. FB (IndianVideoGamer), Twitter (@IndianVG) and Twitch(IndianVideoGamer). Join us and bring your friends.

hope, on 27 Mar 2014 - 10:56 PM, said:
What that hindalco Kojima did is not civil,ripping off money by the name "Its for the Fans" :furious: He and Kounami deserves it :furious:

CM Sunny

CM Sunny

• IVG Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Comprehensively done. Good job sir.

My Pleasure sir,

JoyPuke?
Origins? :naughty:

Edited by Thank You Based Sunny, 18 April 2012 - 09:45 PM.

Posted Image

Tukulu

Tukulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • XBL GT:TukTuk Tukulu
  • Steam:tukulu
  • Now Playing:Guild Wars 2
nice ...

76561198032316857.png

Br0keN 1riS

Br0keN 1riS

BF3 IVG Blood Rush Tourney Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • PSN ID:ragur100
  • Now Playing:limbo,braid

nice ...

also,nice review rom,repped :good:

Pain is temporary,Pride is forever

Yellow Flash Of The Leaf

Yellow Flash Of The Leaf

Fine Young Cannibalol

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts
  • PSN ID:xIamPainX
  • Now Playing:IVG Google Plus Chat
nice review

Thank you :mellow:

killzone123

killzone123

IVG Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,022 posts
  • PSN ID:Strangelove786
  • Now Playing:Chain chain
nice review :good: ..just noticed you not a author yet,oh trying to become i guess :devil:

CM Sunny

CM Sunny

• IVG Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

nice review :good: ..just noticed you not a author yet,oh trying to become i guess :devil:

mere dukh ko sirf aap hi samajh paate :(

:hug:
Posted Image

Seriosia

Seriosia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • XBL GT:SteelyPenny1053
  • PSN ID:Seriosia
  • Steam:leonneel
  • Now Playing:bf4