Welcome to IndianVideoGamer.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Digital vs Physical

* * * * - 1 votes ps4 playstation digital hdd disc remote play

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

srinivas1015

srinivas1015

She wanna see my gun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • PSN ID:Srinivas1015
  • Steam:srinivas_1015
  • Now Playing:Alien: Isolation

Which do you prefer and how do you choose which release to get digital and for which to get a physical copy?

I've long preferred physical copies as I love displaying my collection a shelf and also enjoy simply looking at the cover art from time to time. It will started with Dragon Age: Inquisition which was initially available only on PSN. With no alternative, I went digital and ended up liking the experience. Especially when you finish watching a blu-ray or playing a game and then when you want to play something else, feel lazy to get out of bed and change the disc. I liked the convenience of digital of not having to switch discs. The same pro is applicable for Remote Play when you're in another city or something. It's nice to have access to your entire library instead of just one game. (This is just in theory; I don't have the internet speed to do this currently :P ). I snagged the digital versions of Last of Us, Far Cry 4, and Destiny for really cheap prices. I had opted for digital solely for the prices.

What's happened lately is that I've played the digital versions more than the physical editions. For example: Last week, I had finished watching a Blu-ray and it was 1 a.m. I thought of playing a bit of Infamous (which I haven't yet completed) but was all tucked in bed and didn't want to get up. So I ended up playing 20mins of Destiny instead. This may sound lazy but on weekdays I'm way too exhausted to go to another room and change discs.

This would've been fine were it not for the 1.5 tb limit on the PS4. (I still have a 500gb HDD) I end up being hesitant when it comes to uninstalling digital games because it's a pain to download them all over again. But with the latest update allowing you to transfer to an external HDD, I'm beginning to reconsider digital. How easy is it to uninstall and install from an HDD? But buying external HDDs would again negate the cost of the digital discounts..

I'm thinking: Digital for games that I'll play regularly for years to come. Like Destiny, Division, Battlefront, Injustice.

Physical copies for one-time play-throughs like Arkham Knight. 

The question is..Do I get the digital version of Shadow of Mordor for 2k on PSN or wait for a used copy? (which may take god knows how long) 

This digital vs physical dilemma is something I've been having for months now. Was wondering what you guys do.

Edited by AtheK, 23 April 2015 - 10:43 AM.

• inetryconydot likes this

Optoma HD66 Projector | 160 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver

PC (Nvidia GTX 460, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5, 32inch Sony Bravia as Monitor)  PS3 XBOX360 | PS4 | Ultimate Ears 900 earphones | Apple Airport Express

LG 55inch Passive 3D TV Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | iPad Air iPhone 5 | iPod Classic | Macbook Air (mid 2012) | Nvidia 3D Vision | Philips Hue mood lighting

hope

hope

Dope-shope-hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,673 posts
  • PSN ID:FUNanywhere
Abe granth likh raha hai kya.Itna koun padhega bhai :ack:

If its 1 am and you wanna pee.What will you do.It is also physical.You wanna go digital that way also??? :P

Edited by hope, 22 April 2015 - 01:23 AM.

• AnK, dante77 and Mano Sankar like this
Mankinds new Hope.......Poisonous Powah Bites June 11 2017....

PhantomShade

PhantomShade

Guilty till proven innocent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,244 posts
  • PSN ID:Ph4nto0mSh4d3
  • Now Playing:Fallout 4
For both PC and PS4 Physical > Digital
Bc who wants to pay 3.5k for a game AND download it
Also in PS4 terms you can't sell digital
Specs i5 4690k,Asus Z97 Pro Gamer Motherboard,Corsair Vengenace 8GB RAM,Plextor 128GB SSD,WD 1TB HDD,MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB Graphics Card,Seasonic M12II EVO 620W PSU,Corsair 230T Case,Samsung SE390 24" 1080p PLS LED Monitor,Logitech Z313 Speakers,Logitech G300 Mouse,Dell KB212 Other Stuff Lenovo 50-45 Laptop,Samsung Galaxy Grand 2,Sony PlayStation 4

Posted Image

srinivas1015

srinivas1015

She wanna see my gun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

What if you got something like Last Of Us for 13$ (digitally)?  

Optoma HD66 Projector | 160 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver

PC (Nvidia GTX 460, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5, 32inch Sony Bravia as Monitor)  PS3 XBOX360 | PS4 | Ultimate Ears 900 earphones | Apple Airport Express

LG 55inch Passive 3D TV Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | iPad Air iPhone 5 | iPod Classic | Macbook Air (mid 2012) | Nvidia 3D Vision | Philips Hue mood lighting

kanu0009

kanu0009

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • PSN ID:zabi0123
  • Steam:kanu0009
  • Now Playing:Lords of the Fallen

Yes i agree with @Phantomshade That trading for Physical copy is pretty easy and its really hard to pay for the all the games and keep them digitally.Whereas,the games that one pretty much enjoy like The last of us for example  can be bought digitally if one wants pay it a frequent visit.For me only the games which one will play regular and won't be fended on playing it multiple times,should buy it digital otherwise its Physical.

PhantomShade

PhantomShade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,244 posts

Unless its 0$ i won't bother with games like TLoU,UC,GoW
50-60GB kisko download karna hai?
Specs i5 4690k,Asus Z97 Pro Gamer Motherboard,Corsair Vengenace 8GB RAM,Plextor 128GB SSD,WD 1TB HDD,MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB Graphics Card,Seasonic M12II EVO 620W PSU,Corsair 230T Case,Samsung SE390 24" 1080p PLS LED Monitor,Logitech Z313 Speakers,Logitech G300 Mouse,Dell KB212 Other Stuff Lenovo 50-45 Laptop,Samsung Galaxy Grand 2,Sony PlayStation 4

Posted Image

meaNmachine

meaNmachine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  • XBL GT:meaNmach1nee
  • PSN ID:meaNmach1nee
  • Now Playing::/

You can share digital games. So 3.5k for a game playable on two different PS4s

HotSonix

HotSonix

REKT-ANGLE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Now Playing:Nothing

still a better deal if you buy it for $40 and sell it for $25
40-50 gb ka bandwidth plus double the disk space plus electricity costs favors to buy physical even if you have to pay $5 more

Ether

Ether

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

I prefer physical in general, and only go for digital when there's a good discount going on. There's no way I'm paying 3.5k for a digital version.

Big Boss

Big Boss

Mr. Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts
  • XBL GT:ambarhitman
  • PSN ID:ambar_hitman
  • Steam:ambar_hitman
I have completely gone digital for this gen because:

1. I get to play day 1, thanks to preloads, while physical copy buyers still wait for shipping etc

2. I have 50 Mbps ul connection, so download no issue

3. I only buy good games. I don't sell good games. So I don't mind paying full money for good games like Bloodborne, Dying Light etc

4. I buy physical copies only when there are crazy discounts like we had on FK.

5. No disc swapping. I can just switch between different games when I play without moving my a*s off my couch

6. TP is not what it used to be. Full of impatient or cheap guys. Too much haggling involved, PMs and messages for shipping etc. Its just a hassle especially when you have lot of personal and professional matters to attend to. There are some great deals on tp and still some great folks, but its just not worth the hassle for me now.
AMD Phenom II 1055T | GIGABYTE 880M D2H | CM Hyper TX3 EVOZotac GTX 1060 AMP 6 GB DDR5| Seagate Barracuda 1 TB | Corsair 8 GB 1600 Mhz | Corsair CX 500 V2| CM Elite 371| HP DV6 1211AX| PS1| PS2| PSP| PS3| PS4| PS Vita| Xbox 360| Xbox One
Posted Image

PhantomShade

PhantomShade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,244 posts

Hyderabadi detected :P
Btw which ISP

Posted Image

Big Boss

Big Boss

Mr. Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts
I am in Pune. ISP is Spectranet.
AMD Phenom II 1055T | GIGABYTE 880M D2H | CM Hyper TX3 EVOZotac GTX 1060 AMP 6 GB DDR5| Seagate Barracuda 1 TB | Corsair 8 GB 1600 Mhz | Corsair CX 500 V2| CM Elite 371| HP DV6 1211AX| PS1| PS2| PSP| PS3| PS4| PS Vita| Xbox 360| Xbox One
Posted Image

DinJo

DinJo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • XBL GT:dinjosh
  • PSN ID:dinjo_jo
  • Steam:dinjo_jo
  • Now Playing:AaA
7. I have more than enough money
Posted Image
Thank God its not a shooter

KnackChap

KnackChap

The One, The Only!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,897 posts
  • XBL GT:krackchap
  • PSN ID:krakchap
  • Steam:kailashmk

most of my games are digital. if i want to play a game day1 or dont plan to see it anytime soon, its digital. even games that i get on flash sale are all digital. 

krakchap.png

AtheK

AtheK

RESIDENT KRATOS

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,529 posts
  • XBL GT:Athek Is Here
  • PSN ID:AtheK_
  • Steam:athek

Just picked AC unity for 1399 in physical form, i can easily sell it for same price month down the lane on OLX.

I am all for physical copies, i can only buy a GOW game on Digital, because that is one game i know i will never sell. Other then that i don't think i will ever keep a game for long.

ChillaX

triggr happy ss

triggr happy ss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts
  • XBL GT:TRIGGR HAPPY SS
  • PSN ID:TriggrHappyS26

1. I get to play day 1, thanks to preloads, while physical copy buyers still wait for shipping etc

3. I only buy good games. I don't sell good games. So I don't mind paying full money for good games like Bloodborne, Dying Light etc

4. I buy physical copies only when there are crazy discounts like we had on FK.

5. No disc swapping. I can just switch between different games when I play without moving my a*s off my couch

6. TP is not what it used to be. Full of impatient or cheap guys. Too much haggling involved, PMs and messages for shipping etc. Its just a hassle especially when you have lot of personal and professional matters to attend to. There are some great deals on tp and still some great folks, but its just not worth the hassle for me now.

Exactly Same for me

Also i am sharing so makes more sense.

CarbonCore

CarbonCore

IVG Hall of Fame Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,990 posts
  • XBL GT:CarbonCore
  • PSN ID:CarbonCores
  • Steam:Carboncores
  • Now Playing:Zelda BoTW

Almost full digital except when FK and BF has clearance deals. But then again digital also has crazy deals these days. I don't sell games and downloading is not an issue so it doesn't bother me. I can carry my PS4 and have my entire library go with it (assuming the HDD doesn't fail in transit) 

AnK

AnK

All fanboys love me. Some even want to be me.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,000 posts
  • PSN ID:ank666
  • Now Playing:V has come to
A lot of factors are involved

I am not gona count sharing as one as I tried that on PS3 & it didn't really work well
You end up paying more &(actually) playing a lot less coz you keep buying everything thinking it's cheaper
Plus a lot of confusion is created if the other guy goes missing or wants to part ways (who gets to keep the account?!)

Apart from that these are the factors that decide digital or physical:-

1.)Multiplayer or Single player
MP games you generally want on day-1 to keep up with others & usually keep longer-so digital
SP games don't mater day1 or day10 & you play & trade

2.)Price,sometimes digital is cheaper like AW for 2700/-
Sometimes Physical is cheaper like sales & cheap TP deals
  • Kazekage Gaara likes this

ank666.png

Heaven Angel

Heaven Angel

N00blight-Tubelight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts
  • PSN ID:Heaven_Angel52
  • Steam:Misanthropist
  • Now Playing:ME:A

I always preferred digital over physical copies.

Both have their own advantages and disadvantages. 

First and foremost attitude of a person who favors physical copies is that they can play and sell the copy for a good price, that person play once or twice and then move on to another without giving a sh*t about that game again. 

Digital copies on the other hand can split half the amount if shared and play whenever they can without any fear of re-selling or loosing it. 

A game which is being rushed never gave us the satisfaction nor the joy it deserves. Complete the game as soon as possible to sell on TP for maximum advantage is a complete BS IMO. 

Game like Mordor which was released few months back is on sale for 2K on PSN, which can be shared for 1K each. You get to keep it forever and can be played whenever you desire. 

16805.png

rAgHaV

rAgHaV

KillzOwner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,581 posts
  • PSN ID:RagzyB
Physical. 80gb airtel 4mbps is the best plan avb in my area also I almost always play and sell.

I always preferred digital over physical copies.

Both have their own advantages and disadvantages. 

First and foremost attitude of a person who favors physical copies is that they can play and sell the copy for a good price, that person play once or twice and then move on to another without giving a sh*t about that game again. 
Digital copies on the other hand can split half the amount if shared and play whenever they can without any fear of re-selling or loosing it. 

A game which is being rushed never gave us the satisfaction nor the joy it deserves. Complete the game as soon as possible to sell on TP for maximum advantage is a complete BS IMO. 

Game like Mordor which was released few months back is on sale for 2K on PSN, which can be shared for 1K each. You get to keep it forever and can be played whenever you desire. 

Bhai epic SP games like tlou, uc or rdr ka mazza mujhe toh tod tod ke khelne mai kabhi nahi aata. Uc type games ko do ya teen sessions mai khatam karke hi mazza aata hai mujhe :P that cinematic feeling gets ruined if you take too long to finish a short SP only game.

Edited by rAgHaV, 22 April 2015 - 02:31 PM.

Heaven Angel

Heaven Angel

N00blight-Tubelight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Physical. 80gb airtel 4mbps is the best plan avb in my area also I almost always play and sell.

Bhai epic SP games like tlou, uc or rdr ka mazza mujhe toh tod tod ke khelne mai kabhi nahi aata. Uc type games ko do ya teen sessions mai khatam karke hi mazza aata hai mujhe :P that cinematic feeling gets ruined if you take too long to finish a short SP only game.

It's upto you bro, but sabko time nahi milta roz khelna .. even if they want to! 

Games like UC, TLOU have a strong MP as well .. They have the best mix of both and people still plays a lot. 

games like GOW with you sometimes feel like playing even after you've completed. (Those are examples, not referring to any game) 

Dekh yeh to tere pe hai ki tujhe mazaa kaise aata hai.. 

16805.png

hope

hope

Dope-shope-hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,673 posts
  • PSN ID:FUNanywhere
One major advantage of going digital is you would use that all imp blu ray player less.Better in long haul going digital but speed should be there.
Mankinds new Hope.......Poisonous Powah Bites June 11 2017....

Mano Sankar

Mano Sankar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • XBL GT:Mas7erChief701
  • PSN ID:SolidSnake_701
  • Now Playing:Destiny, MGS V

Physical

There are plenty of reasons to go physical

• You can trade the game if you are done with it or most importantly, if you dont like the game.
  • The digital game prices are not justifiable. Mostly they cost the same price as Physical version.
  • You will not have the feel of owning the game unless its Physical. That feeling when opening a new game case. HAA!!
  • Some games like Fifa, COD or any game franchise who release games on yearly basis, will be useless (Less num of online players) when the new version hits the market.
  • Showing off your game collection. U can have a dedicated shelf for ur collection.
  • IVG TP.
  • Also it helps people like me to play all the games as much as possible without worrying about money.
  • After playing a particular game in physical version and if you downright love it, then u can pretty sure get a digital version on some flash sale or even PS+ IGC and trade ur physical disc.

• Kazekage Gaara likes this

Big Boss

Big Boss

Mr. Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts
Oh one more point regarding digital:
No home deliveries of physical copies. So family doesn't know how much you are spending on gaming

huehuehue
  • Walker, vickysud01, Mano Sankar and 1 other like this
Posted Image

Heaven Angel

Heaven Angel

N00blight-Tubelight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

No home deliveries of physical copies. So family doesn't know how much you are spending on gaming

huehuehue

A bitter truth ..  :P

16805.png

Mano Sankar

Mano Sankar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • XBL GT:Mas7erChief701
  • PSN ID:SolidSnake_701
  • Now Playing:Destiny, MGS V

huehuehue

PFB the Typical Indian Parent

Mom: Son, today u got a courier. Again u have ordered a video game?
Son: Yes mom. :mellow:
Mom: How much is this?
Son: Its 1400 ma.
Mom: How many times should I tel u. Don waste money on games. :angry::angry:
Son: But ma, its actually price is 3000 ma...
Mom: Thats my boy.. :D:D:D

This happens often in my home.
  • Big Boss likes this

Big Boss

Big Boss

Mr. Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

PFB the Typical Indian Parent

Mom: Son, today u got a courier. Again u have ordered a video game?
Son: Yes mom. :mellow:
Mom: How much is this?
Son: Its 1400 ma.
Mom: How many times should I tel u. Don waste money on games. :angry::angry:
Son: But ma, its actually price is 3000 ma...
Mom: Thats my boy.. :D:D:D

This happens often in my home.

Same here.
Posted Image

srinivas1015

srinivas1015

She wanna see my gun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
I'm thinking that within the next few years we'll all have really high speed internet without fup like Big Boss does. In such a case, downloading won't be an issue as it would be like downloading a song or something. What concerns me more is HDD space. 7 years from now, I'd love to display 40 games on a shelf rather than have a couple of HDDs.

I prefer to buy from the U.S store rather than the Indian PSN store cos I'm worried Sony will lose the rights after a few years or something. I'm not sure if this happens in the gaming world. Can somebody confirm? Like iTunes losing the rights to an album in the U.K or something (during which you lose the right to download it again).

I don't like selling for two main reasons:
1)After a few years, you will have spent a sufficient amount of money but won't have anything to show for it.
2)I get the itch to play the game again some time down the lane. I ended up re-buying Destiny digitally after selling it and now am regretting selling Mordor as I have the itch to play it again.

If the PS4 had a large HDD enclosure to support HDDs of 8tb or something, it would've made this decision a whole lot easier.

I also wish games would give codes with the physical copies to redeem digital versions of games, kinda like how you get a code for an iTunes copy when you buy a blu-ray.

Edited by srinivas1015, 22 April 2015 - 07:35 PM.

ALPHA17

ALPHA17

Official IVG shitposter and TW3 fan. Has never played GTA.

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,499 posts
  • Steam:ALPHA17I
  • Now Playing:INSURGENCY, TBG

I also wish games would give codes with the physical copies to redeem digital versions of games, kinda like how you get a code for an iTunes copy when you buy a blu-ray.

This cannot happen unless the game code is tied to that specific account / device, which introduces a lot of variables and muddies the waters. Also, if this is implemented it will definitely have to take into account the second-hand game market.

In umbris sum aeternam; I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul

Is your sale thread missing, not sure about its approval (after 48 hours), head here and raise a ticket. DO NOT PM A MOD / ADMIN BEFORE DOING THIS.

AtheK

AtheK

RESIDENT KRATOS

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,529 posts
  • XBL GT:Athek Is Here
  • PSN ID:AtheK_
  • Steam:athek
I think it would have been a boon in ps3 peak time when lens failure was common, atleast you can still carry on using the conslol
ChillaX

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ps4, playstation, digital, hdd, disc, remote play

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users