Bioware pumped to work on PS3

We've been doing a lot of wondering about BioWare lately: wondering what the company is going to do with the Wii; wondering what our saves from the first Mass Effect will do to the sequel. But most of all, we've been wondering if Mass Effect 2 will be making its way to the PlayStation 3, like its dragon-infused brother, Dragon Age: Origins. So we asked BioWare's Matt Atwood directly about the possibilty of the game coming to PS3, to which he responded, "We've only announced 360 and PC. At this point we're really focused on those platforms."

We understand, Matt, but what about the intellectual property itself? Does EA own the Mass Effect name? "Yes. EA owns the rights to Mass Effect." And so, as far as exclusivity between Mass Effect and Microsoft, that doesn't exist? "That's right," he told us. Looks like Mass Effect 2 could end up on Sony's console after all, eh?

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/08/bioware-...ould-still-com/

if it happens, i could shut 1 or 2 odd xbox fanboys for good... :majesty:

but seriously, it wud b awesome if this happens at all..!! have heard great things about mass effect and would lov to play it on my console.

I am surprised that he mentioned EA as the owner of the ME IP. AFAIK, EA was no where in the picture when ME was being developed, so there must have been a special deal with EA with respect to the game IPs. Possibly some sort of extra premium on the purchase price to ensure that EA owns the IPs directly rather than through Bioware or Pandemic.

UPDATE: ME 1 and 2 are exclusive to M$

Update: Matt Atwood at BioWare just contacted us to clarify his statements from earlier today regarding Mass Effect 2's exclusivity to Xbox 360 and PC. He says, "It [exclusivity] actually does exist for Mass Effect 2. And beyond that, we haven't announced any plans."

so will Sony use all the extra money they make from the high price of the PS3 to pay for Mass Effect trilogy?

If M$ has an exclusivity contract, no amount of money paid to EA will help. Sony will have to buy the rights for ME 1 and 2 from M$.

Imagine the irony :thumbsup:

Archived