The Laptop/Notebook thread.

khanak

The SKUs must have been phased out. 

You can look at Lenovo's Legion Y520 series or HP's OMEN line of notebooks. 

Do you have to purchase a notebook immediately or can you wait for a couple of weeks? 

Is Gigabyte Aero 15x available in India? If I want a gaming laptop with 15.6" 1060 or 1070 max q GPU and 10 hours battery life then which one should I go for? I know Gigabyte gives around 8hours of battery life.

9 minutes ago, djanuj said:

Is Gigabyte Aero 15x available in India? If I want a gaming laptop with 15.6" 1060 or 1070 max q GPU and 10 hours battery life then which one should I go for? I know Gigabyte gives around 8hours of battery life.

No GIGABYTE does not have a notebook division in India. 

Also, 8 hours of battery life is super optimistic under the most benign load and usage conditions. 10 hours is bordering on the absurd. 

For a GTX1060 or 1070 Max  Q GPU you have to up your budget to roundabouts ~Rs 1,20,000+. The first offerings are from ASUS and Lenovo, followed by Acer, MSi, HP OMEN and DELL Alienware. 

Also, 8th Gen notebooks are right around the corner, so be aware of that before taking a plunge. 

No GIGABYTE does not have a notebook division in India. 

Also, 8 hours of battery life is super optimistic under the most benign load and usage conditions. 10 hours is bordering on the absurd. 

For a GTX1060 or 1070 Max  Q GPU you have to up your budget to roundabouts ~Rs 1,20,000+. The first offerings are from ASUS and Lenovo, followed by Acer, MSi, HP OMEN and DELL Alienware. 

Also, 8th Gen notebooks are right around the corner, so be aware of that before taking a plunge. 

It mentions 10 hours of battery life but real life condition gave 8hours. Even I didn't believe it first but a friend who lives in USA bought it and I was shocked. It gave him 8 hours of battery life. Though he used it for work. Microsoft office, etc. But this was a shocker for me. Gaming laptop with this much better life. And it's so thin and light. Just like macbook air. I really wanted to buy it. But it costs 2650$ with thermal grizly paste on GPU and CPU and fujipoly thermal pads to prevent overheating. Which translates to 1.6lakhs. So then next best option I found was Asus gl503vs. But battery life sucks. And Is a Toaster. Heat dissipation is not effective which inturn makes laptop suddenly shut off to prevent damage due to overheat. 

Oh I forgot to add. I also want Thunderbolt 3. Just in case I want to use egpu in the future.

Btw cpu was i7 8750h

1 minute ago, djanuj said:

It mentions 10 hours of battery life but real life condition gave 8hours. Even I didn't believe it first but a friend who lives in USA bought it and I was shocked. It gave him 8 hours of battery life. Though he used it for work. Microsoft office, etc. But this was a shocker for me. Gaming laptop with this much better life. And it's so thin and light. Just like macbook air. I really wanted to buy it. But it costs 2650$ with thermal grizly paste on GPU and CPU and fujipoly thermal pads to prevent overheating. Which translates to 1.6lakhs. so then next best option I found was Asus gl503vs. But battery life sucks. And Is a Toaster. Heat dissipation is not effective which inturn makes laptop suddenly shut off to prevent damage due to overheat.

Yeah! 8 hours of battery life on MS Office is possible. 

ASUS GL503 SKUs are available in the Indian market.

The closest option like the Aero 15 that is locally available is MSi's Stealth line of products.  But that too costs around ~Rs 1,65,000 locally and the support is so-so. 

Yeah! 8 hours of battery life on MS Office is possible. 

ASUS GL503 SKUs are available in the Indian market.

The closest option like the Aero 15 that is locally available is MSi's Stealth line of products.  But that too costs around ~Rs 1,65,000 locally and the support is so-so. 
Asus gl503 in Indian version I cannot see thunderbolt 3. But in USA version it has. But that also is not clear. Plus battery life on Asus even when using Microsoft office is 3hours. Thus aero 15x was the only one...

Just now, djanuj said:

Asus gl503 in Indian version I cannot see thunderbolt 3. But in USA version it has. But that also is not clear. Plus battery life on Asus even when using Microsoft office is 3hours. Thus aero 15x was the only one...

Your call man. Cheers! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ALPHA17 said:

The SKUs must have been phased out. 

You can look at Lenovo's Legion Y520 series or HP's OMEN line of notebooks. 

Do you have to purchase a notebook immediately or can you wait for a couple of weeks? 

There is no hurry.

But a 1060 at 80-85K was worth a shot(plus I am reluctant to go over that budget). They are back at the regular price now though.

i7 8th gen launching in a couple of weeks? They would be much costlier too right?

Is there any harm in going for 7th gen now? My work mainly involves, programming, coding, compiling work, with audio/video/image editing, Android Studio etc., and some gaming (Overwatch, FIFA etc.)

Was hoping that a 1060 would run current and some near future games, right?

Same specced Legion and Omen are upwards of 1.6L.

Please advice.

Thanks.

I do believe in gaming on laptop. The lifespan of the laptop, battery, overheating issues. That is what I experienced in the past and have given up on heavy laptop with big battery. I know they still make it. May be  the tech is now feasible but I am not sure ?? High end gaming laptops like ROG series, alienware I am sure work but I am not sure about decent priced ones. May be you should consider desktop ?

Edited by abcgamer

13 hours ago, WhoCantBeNamed said:

But a 1060 at 80-85K was worth a shot(plus I am reluctant to go over that budget). They are back at the regular price now though.

i7 8th gen launching in a couple of weeks? They would be much costlier too right?

Is there any harm in going for 7th gen now? My work mainly involves, programming, coding, compiling work, with audio/video/image editing, Android Studio etc., and some gaming (Overwatch, FIFA etc.)

Was hoping that a 1060 would run current and some near future games, right?

Same specced Legion and Omen are upwards of 1.6L.

Yeah! The Intel Coffee Lake processors are going to be worth the increased price especially for your workloads of compiling code, and editing. Gaming too will see an uplift in performance and relatively good performance going forward as games become more accustomed to higher core counts. 

If you are looking at games like Overwatch and FIFA primarily then even a GTX1050Ti should hold you in good stead. What future games are you interested in, what level of performance and settings do you plan to implement in those games? 

12 hours ago, ALPHA17 said:

What future games are you interested in, what level of performance and settings do you plan to implement in those games? 

Apart from Overwatch and FIFA, there isn't any particular list. Mostly interested in Open world ones.

Not thinking to max them out, even if they run at respectable 40-50fps at 1080, without stuttering, I am good.

41 minutes ago, WhoCantBeNamed said:

Apart from Overwatch and FIFA, there isn't any particular list. Mostly interested in Open world ones.

Not thinking to max them out, even if they run at respectable 40-50fps at 1080, without stuttering, I am good.

A GTX1060 would be ideal in that case, yes. 

What is your budget? 

35 minutes ago, WhoCantBeNamed said:

Around 85K.

That's why MSI and Helios 300 seemed nice at that discounted price.

Hmmm... I see. 

Around 85K.

That's why MSI and Helios 300 seemed nice at that discounted price.

If you know anyone coming from USA then I would suggest Lenovo y720 it's apt for this. Plus it also has thunderbolt 3 too. Cost is 1300$

I think I've seen alienware aurora with 1080 go for 1300 or so. Better to get that, no? 

Alienware aurora is a desktop not a laptop. And it's heavy. Like sh*t heavy. Better to go for laptop. Unless you want a desktop then go ahead. All upto you. Not sure if you can change CPU etc in the future

17 hours ago, adity said:

I think I've seen alienware aurora with 1080 go for 1300 or so. Better to get that, no? 

That is a tower, not a notebook. 

1 hour ago, djanuj said:

Not sure of you can change CPU etc in the future

You can upgrade the add-in components but stuff like CPU generally does not get changed because the motherboard is incapable of higher series chips. 

You can upgrade the add-in components but stuff like CPU generally does not get changed because the motherboard is incapable of higher series chips. 
Yup. That's what I said. So I would prefer buying laptop for portable factor. But depends on person to person.

• 1 year later...