The Laptop/Notebook thread.

khanak

• 2 months later...

In the market for a gaming laptop (< 75k)

1. Which is the best laptop under 75k for gaming. Looking at playing old and new games at high settings. Don't game at ultra or anything like that. More ram, great GPU, SSD + HDD if possible and most important, great cooling.
2. Is there a way to track pricing of laptops. I remember there used to be sites to track pricing of e-commerce products but don't remember ?
3. Is PayTm a good site to buy cause they have zero % EMI up to 12 months, cashbacks etc. Other sites usually have 13% EMI for 12 months.
4. Is online purchase ok for warranty claims. I remember it used to be an issue sometime back. Also, can we extend warranty with company after online purchase ?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Guys I am looking to buy a gaming laptop near the end of this year. My budget would be max 1 lakh with EMI option. Any suggestions as to which laptop I should look forward to or which current laptop I should keep an eye on? It should be equal or better than the next gen consoles from spec perspective.

I currently have an ASUS ROG laptop which I bought back in 2010. Its more than 10 years old..and it still works, I have maintained it pretty well. But its about time I do an upgrade. I want a laptop purely for gaming. So please let me know. There are so many options out there at the moment. And yeah it should be available in India to buy online.

6 minutes ago, K'dash said:

Guys I am looking to buy a gaming laptop near the end of this year. My budget would be max 1 lakh with EMI option. Any suggestions as to which laptop I should look forward to or which current laptop I should keep an eye on? It should be equal or better than the next gen consoles from spec perspective.

I think that'll require at least a GTX 2070 equivalent gpu, and doubt that will be possible within 1 lakh. Still, will wait for others to pitch in.

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2020 at 11:50 AM, K'dash said:

I currently have an ASUS ROG laptop which I bought back in 2010. Its more than 10 years old..and it still works, I have maintained it pretty well. But its about time I do an upgrade. I want a laptop purely for gaming. So please let me know. There are so many options out there at the moment. And yeah it should be available in India to buy online.

laptops are sh*t for gaming, only bother with them if you have to shuttle between different locations every year or something

On 7/25/2020 at 11:50 AM, K'dash said:

Why a laptop? unless you move around, go for a desktop. Gaming laptops are a waste of money. I use one and i miss a desktop.

• 3 months later...

Is anyone here using this MI Notebook:

Mi Notebook 14 Intel Core i5-10210U 10th Gen Thin and Light Laptop(8GB/256GB SSD/Windows 10/Intel UHD Graphics/Silver/1.5Kg), XMA1901-FC+Webcam

I need to get a Laptop within 42k for light usage at home. Mainly for browsing (wi-fi), light Excel and Notepad work and watching videos.

Mi Notebook 14 Intel Core i5-10210U 10th Gen Thin and Light Laptop(8GB/256GB SSD/Windows 10/Intel UHD Graphics/Silver/1.5Kg), XMA1901-FC+Webcam

I need to get a Laptop within 42k for light usage at home. Mainly for browsing (wi-fi), light Excel and Notepad work and watching videos.
It's a good laptop but I would suggest Rather get an ipad

Sent from my HD1911 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My MacBook Pro 2019 drains the battery and gets really hot randomly at times. Is there any kind of test I can do to check it? I went to the local service centre and they said they'll charge 3 thousand just to check whats wrong with it. That is insane. 

• 1 month later...

I'll be switching from an old alienware to an asus soon. I was planning to clone my boot ssd to the asus one and overwrite the stock OS it comes with, and put in my other ssd in the free slot as-is. This way all programs, games and settings are preserved, and I just need to uninstall alienware software and install asus software. Is it better to do this or to set up the stock OS from scratch on the asus? Will windows update asus-specific stuff if I do what I am planning to?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello fellow members,
I am looking for a laptop with the following requirements for my sister. Her older laptop (Asus VivoBook) requires an upgrade.

Build QualityHighly prefer a metal-built laptop. The lower right bezel [meh plastic] on her laptop broke twice due to a little improper handling.
Storage: SSD is a must. She hates the slow 5400RPM HDD on her VivoBook. I scoured through some laptops on Amazon and all of them has only 512 SSD/1 TB HDD+ 256 SSD
Processor: Doesn't need to be very powerful as she'll mostly be doing basic office stuff [browsing, excel, OneNote, coding], a little of photo/video/audio editing and AutoCAD
Display: Need to have great colours. She is fine with 1080p 60Hz, but an upgrade would certainly be better
Battery: More than 6 hours of battery backup is fine, as I'll be recommending her to do heavy tasks only while connected to charger
Graphics Card: She doesn't game or use Blender, but she uses AutoCAD, so GPU is important. I would like others' view on this. Would integrated graphics be enough, or should I go for a dGPU?

She's fine with normal laptop keeb and trackpad. She always uses her laptop with lights on, so backlit keeb is not a big factor.

Looked into the new MacBooks. Looks great, but it is on the expensive side, and I don't know how much Apple repairs cost. She will also be new to macOS.

I know there are a lot of requirements [emoji28]

Any and all recommendations are welcomed

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 10:22 AM, Black_Hawk said:

On 2/8/2021 at 6:47 PM, armaan said:

I need to get a  Laptop for work just basic emails and MS office

planning to go for Microsoft Surface GO. 

Please let me know which laptop/model you guys finally went with.

I am also looking to get a laptop for just the basic stuff. If anyone else has any suggestion, please let me know :arigato:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 9:40 AM, b!T said:

Why a laptop? unless you move around, go for a desktop. Gaming laptops are a waste of money. I use one and i miss a desktop.

How much would a desktop setup cost with RTX 3080? I already have a monitor and other peripherals. and will it be cheaper to get from abroad say if a relative is coming from canada?

Edited by Soultrader92

27 minutes ago, Soultrader92 said:

How much would a desktop setup cost with RTX 3080? I already have a monitor and other peripherals. and will it be cheaper to get from abroad say if a relative is coming from canada?

No clue of the prices now but I've heard GPUs are crazy expensive and scalpers are making it hard for everyone.

Anyone using the ROG X13 Flow? I'm planning to go for the 3050Ti model. Main use is light video/photo editing, some excel crunching, 3D modeling/rendering and light coding and ability to play the occasional game. Portability is important. 

Was looking at the ROG Zephyrus G14 which is a bit cheaper but inclining towards X13 for the touch screen and flexibility of the tablet mode.