The Laptop/Notebook thread.

khanak

Hi guys,

I am going to buy a new laptop pretty soon, (max in a week or two), and I have decided to buy an HP laptop as one of my cousins' friend owns a huge HP showroom in Vashi. I'll be visiting that place with my cousin who buys laptops from that friend all the time. They at least own 15 laptops in their own household and thats why he gets good discount on any purchase.

Now, since the brand has been decided, can you guys suggest me a good HP laptop ? Please do not recommend ANY OTHER BRAND laptops. Max price I can go is Rs. 70,000/-.

Thanx a lot in advance :P

The HP TX1000 is pretty swish, and the dv2401 is pretty cool too, check them out.

Hmm...the TX1000's screen size is pretty small. I'll be using it for my work and I need at least a 15" or 17" Widescreen monitor, so that model is ruled out, although it looks really cute :P. Also, no AMD for me. I'll prefer going with Intel Core2Duo. :P

I also checked out dv2401. Again, its a 14", and I would prefer going with a 15" or a 17". Mobility ain't THAT important over here as I'll just be carrying it from my workplace to my home occasionally. And no I don't intend to buy a Desktop :P

Thanx a lot Fire Wolf :)

dv6000 series is real good...i dunno which is the latest one in tht...u can try calling HP india toll free....but dv6000 series is 15 inches and real good config....they also have a limited edition comp coming out in dv6000 series....maybe u can try tht also...

dv6000 series is good .... but 1 fukup iv realised with the pavillion series is tht the battery heats up a lot ....and hence after a while the keyboard also gets warm....

id suggest goin for the HP model tht comes without windows(install OEM vista ultimate urself :P ).... i cant recollect model but its got insane specs and its for 40-45k (checked 2 weeks back) its silver in colour and 15" screen....

dv6000 series is good .... but 1 fukup iv realised with the pavillion series is tht the battery heats up a lot ....and hence after a while the keyboard also gets warm....

id suggest goin for the HP model tht comes without windows(install OEM vista ultimate urself :D ).... i cant recollect model but its got insane specs and its for 40-45k (checked 2 weeks back) its silver in colour and 15" screen....

Wow, sounds worth a try. Where did you see it ? All the latest laptops are coming preinstalled with Vista and my transcription softwares get f**ked up on Vista :P and thats why I'll have to install Windows XP or get a genuine XP copy with it. I don't mind if I have to do the installation of XP myself but if the specs were really good and it was around 40-45k, then its worth checking out.

Care to tell me where you saw it ? and can you remember some specs ?

Thanx a lot :D

Edited by Kazekage Gaara

^^ None of the products being discussed here are discontinued.

I have the dv6000 series (15.4") and Im reasonably happy with it. Very good looking and pretty sturdy chassis. The dv9000 series is the 17" one and I guess is the one to buy if its more of a desktop replacement.

No point discussing performance as that depends on your configuration and OS.

Hi all,

I'm getting the the HP Pavillion DV2680 for INR 45,500/- RAM has been upgraded to 2 GB. My friend is getting it from Dubai. Will the notebook gurus let me know if it is a good deal.

I'm not looking to play games on my laptop, hence the low-end gfx card. I plan to use it for mainly surfing, word processing, watching/encoding movies etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I'm getting the the HP Pavillion DV2680 for INR 45,500/- RAM has been upgraded to 2 GB. My friend is getting it from Dubai. Will the notebook gurus let me know if it is a good deal.

I'm not looking to play games on my laptop, hence the low-end gfx card. I plan to use it for mainly surfing, word processing, watching/encoding movies etc.

Even 2gb ram for just surfing and word processing is an overkill.

Hi all,

gr8 config....its worth it...go for it....it has an 8400 card...even most games will not be a prob....

Hi all,

Even 2gb ram for just surfing and word processing is an overkill.

2gb is recommended if u have windows vista, which his comp has....so i think its necessary for a good overall user experience...

Your HP scanner and printer should have come with some MAC software with which you can it.

Macs are available in either black or white. IMO black looks wayy better than white but then again you are paying a little extra for it. With the black there arent any options to chose from but with the white one you can chose between a 2.0 processor and a 2.2. Get the fastest one you can afford.

As for the OS version, Leapord is the new MAC OS and it should come pre instalelled with on your machine. Id say MS Office is a definate must buy if you are going to use the notebook to work. Other than that I dont really think you need to buy anytihng else unles you have some specific needs.

Dell vs MAC? Id take the MAC if budget isnt an issue.