The Laptop/Notebook thread.

khanak

Guys, How good a 900M series compared to the 800M series ?

How much FPS improvement over GTX 880M 8GB, Not getting time nowadays to dig through it as I am currently at onsite. Also ROG is gone, I have bought a new laptop.

Leaving u all to guess which one I bought, My query above answers the laptop I bought.

^ It is a always better to get the latest laptop components you can afford if you are going to do any intensive applications or gaming. So point for point it depends on the chipset and the overall configuration of your individual device. If you want to know where your GPU stands in the pecking order, check this chart @notebookcheck.net.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

880m with 8GB vram? That's an OVERKILL boss! I believe from what I have read on forums that 900 series has better thermal enveloping and hence better clock speeds that earlier generations of laptop gpu. All 900 series are of latest maxwell architecture. In case, anyone is going for new laptop, must buy one with latest gpu to be future safe for as much time as possible..

Any recommendation for cooling pad?

Size of the laptop and what you use it for?

You can check out the following options @flipkart.

Need your suggestions for a good notebook/laptop for below 16K

You won't get much and whatever you will have won't be much good. Rather get a decent Droid tablet / phablet.

Edited by ALPHA17

Size of the laptop and what you use it for?

You can check out the following options @flipkart.

It's a Dell Vostro 3550 - 15.6inch screen. Gets heated up quite a lot on the left side, where I think the processor is. I'm hoping cooling pad will be useful.

How about Cooler master xslim ii ?

EDIT - I missed answering 'what you use it for' part. It's going to be main machine from now so anything from web surfing to movies to programming. But I've noticed that it gets heated up irrespective of whether CPU intensive task is being performed or not.

Edited by mixke

• 2 weeks later...

Having a desktop 2nd gen i3 processor and supported mobo, corsair vengeance 4gig ram, 500gb storage and a verrry old graphics card (no gaming now on pc)

Want to move to laptop which will give similar performance for business, watching movies and light image editing occassionally.

Plz recomment a good laptop.

What i am scared is no part of a laptop is user replaceable and they seem to have a high failure rate compared to desktops. They come with 1 or 2 year warrenty only :-\

Edited by Danny007

^^ You can look at the following @flipkart.

If you can go up-to ~50000/-, then I suggest you get a Core i7 based model with 8GB RAM.

What i am scared is no part of a laptop is user replaceable and they seem to have a high failure rate compared to desktops. They come with 1 or 2 year warrenty only :-\

That is a trade off you have to live with, else, how will the companies justify making money on them.

Also, current generation laptops (at-least Windows notebooks) allow the end user to replace RAM and hard-drive / SSD themselves.

y510p

Expensive.

Edited by ALPHA17

^ No, I have not purchased laptops myself, SAMSUNG and Lenovo are ascendant right now though. DELL and HP are evergreen.

Rest of the options not good in India in my opinion.

• Like 1

Just got a HP Omen laptop for myself, while I was travelling abroad for an assignment. Got a good discount in the same courtesy the holiday season in US. Laptop looks and feels great with best part being its portability. Got some freebies along with it like mouse and backpack, which are typical HP. Have not tried gaming as of now on same due to some hectic work. Will try to get some gaming benchmarks of the Laptop asap. This laptop replaces my ageing HP DV6 laptop which served me well for 4 years approx and was sold just after purchasing this one...

Bottomline - one can try getting this in India, in case it is available. Looks to be a good balance of personal and gaming laptop to me and is COMPARATIVELY cheaper then other laptops out there. Specs are -

16 GB RAM

4 GB VRAM gtx 860m

256GB HDD

Core i7-4710HQ

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to buy a laptop for casual usage. Budget is 25k.

The laptop will only be used for surfing,youtube,movies,Excel, light multitasking.

Laptop will not be used for gaming,video editing or other intensive work.

Lenovo

http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-b40-30-notebook-4st-gen-pqc-4gb-500gb-win8-1-59-436067/p/itme2c5pzj2fzmgy?pid=COME2C5GZXVSRAZH&srno=b_1&ref=067b8eb7-2078-4ec7-87e9-3b5f0beef1fb

Compaq

http://www.flipkart.com/compaq-15-s008tu-notebook-4th-gen-ci3-4gb-500gb-free-dos-j8c07pa/p/itmey8rvyx7qk3yc?pid=COMEYFWMG53KENVZ&srno=b_3&ref=b3677642-408a-41ba-80a4-a51c3c820b6a

The advantages of lenovo are Windows 8.1 and 3 year warranty. Disadvantage is very weak Cpu.

Advantage of Compaq is stronger Cpu but disadvantage is Dos and 1 year warranty.

Which one should i go for. Prefer the lenovo if the laptop does not get bogged down by the weak cpu.

Need help fast guys as will be buying it in 1-2 days. Thank you.