The Laptop/Notebook thread.

khanak

10 hours ago, psinide said:

Anyone using the ROG X13 Flow? I'm planning to go for the 3050Ti model. Main use is light video/photo editing, some excel crunching, 3D modeling/rendering and light coding and ability to play the occasional game. Portability is important. 

Was looking at the ROG Zephyrus G14 which is a bit cheaper but inclining towards X13 for the touch screen and flexibility of the tablet mode.

I currently have a touch screen laptop, envy x360 which folds back completely. i bought it thinking I could use the touchscreen frequently, to watch movies or read books, or read digital comic books (this was the main draw), But i can tell you that this use case doesnt work very well with laptops. At least it didnt for me, I ended up barely using the fully reversible screen. Plus on the downside it makes your laptop much heavier and reduces battery life considerably while increasing the cost.
Do think carefully unless you already have used touch laptops and you are happy with them.

BTW check out this one https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-15-6-inch-RTX-3050-Graphics-FA506IC-HN005T/dp/B09CCW5XVM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=asus+tuf+a15&qid=1646758756&sprefix=asus%2Caps%2C307&sr=8-1 for ~75k 

11 hours ago, Soultrader92 said:

I currently have a touch screen laptop, envy x360 which folds back completely. i bought it thinking I could use the touchscreen frequently, to watch movies or read books, or read digital comic books (this was the main draw), But i can tell you that this use case doesnt work very well with laptops. At least it didnt for me, I ended up barely using the fully reversible screen. Plus on the downside it makes your laptop much heavier and reduces battery life considerably while increasing the cost.
Do think carefully unless you already have used touch laptops and you are happy with them.

BTW check out this one https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-15-6-inch-RTX-3050-Graphics-FA506IC-HN005T/dp/B09CCW5XVM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=asus+tuf+a15&qid=1646758756&sprefix=asus%2Caps%2C307&sr=8-1 for ~75k 

I haven't used touch screen laptops before, but do have use case for video/photo editing (albeit minor). I have been looking to get a tablet as well, so thought this 2-in-1 would do the trick. Main reason for the X13 was the portability. The TUF series is quite bulky, if not the X13, I'd probably go for the Zephyrus or the Strix/Scar models. I'm happy with a 14inch screen to keep the portability.

From the reviews I've seen, the X13 has a decent enough battery life, and supports USB-C charging to add to the convenience. 

1 hour ago, psinide said:

I haven't used touch screen laptops before, but do have use case for video/photo editing (albeit minor). I have been looking to get a tablet as well, so thought this 2-in-1 would do the trick. Main reason for the X13 was the portability. The TUF series is quite bulky, if not the X13, I'd probably go for the Zephyrus or the Strix/Scar models. I'm happy with a 14inch screen to keep the portability.

From the reviews I've seen, the X13 has a decent enough battery life, and supports USB-C charging to add to the convenience. 

I guess then its cool. Mine was an older model, and a 15.6 inch screen so lower battery life anyway and made worse by the touch screen. So it ended up being quite bulky. 

• 5 months later...

Need some advise.

Need a new laptop for mom. She uses it for teaching, 70% usage is video calls. Rest 30% is web surfing, editing docs on word, excel etc.  

Requirements are it should be sleek, light and fast. Good camera and mic. Should have a usb port since she uses a Wacom One pen tablet.

Battery life not that imp but nice to have. 

Budget 50k. 

Also open to any macbook recommendations. Might be good since mom has iPhone. 

Edited by dylanjosh

19 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Need some advise.

Need a new laptop for mom. She uses it for teaching, 70% usage is video calls. Rest 30% is web surfing, editing docs on word, excel etc.  

Requirements are it should be sleek, light and fast. Good camera and mic. Should have a usb port since she uses a Wacom One pen tablet.

Battery life not that imp but nice to have. 

Budget 50k. 

Also open to any macbook recommendations. Might be good since mom has iPhone. 

For that usage iPad Air 5 64GB at 54K INR might be the best pick, as you mention that she already has an iPhone so iOS/iPad OS integration will work really good for her. It’s the cheapest M1 Device out there (same chip in 90K MBA), and the stuff you mentioned literally flies on it.

Edit: No idea if Wacom pen works with iPad or not, if not then in case of Windows Laptops I’d go with this or any ASUS Laptop in the budget you mentioned:

https://www.flipkart.com/asus-vivobook-s14-oled-2022-intel-evo-core-i5-12th-gen-16-gb-512-gb-ssd-windows-11-home-s3402za-km502ws-thin-light-laptop/

Edited by rAgHaV
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, realsoccerdude111 said:

Which is a better laptop for gaming at 60 fps and 2 k resolution?

Acer predator helios 300 with rtx 3060,i7 hexacore,16 gb ram or asus tuf a15 or lenovo legion?(same config)

Ill probably hook it up to gaming monitor next year..will that be good?

No idea about those specific models but check the part of their reviews that focuses on the cooling part.

basically if the laptop doesn't have a good cooling system your hardware will throttle and that will affect your fps.

"gaming monitor" is only good if your hw can put out those high fps like 120 fps for 120hz, I mean with your config you can do it for esports titles like dota, csgo, valorant type games, but don't expect to run RDR2 or Cyberpunk 2077 with decent quality settings at 120 fps :P

1 hour ago, PhantomShade said:

No idea about those specific models but check the part of their reviews that focuses on the cooling part.

basically if the laptop doesn't have a good cooling system your hardware will throttle and that will affect your fps.

"gaming monitor" is only good if your hw can put out those high fps like 120 fps for 120hz, I mean with your config you can do it for esports titles like dota, csgo, valorant type games, but don't expect to run RDR2 or Cyberpunk 2077 with decent quality settings at 120 fps :P

I am fine with 65-70 fps and ill probably buy gaming monitor soon as well to hook it up with laptop

• 4 weeks later...

It would be amazing if you could tell me what specific graphic card and other components would be required in the notebook for me to play practically any PC game on it (which company's notebook should I choose). I'm intending to buy a new laptop, but I also want to use it as a gaming device.

I would love to get a notebook computer because of its portability, but I also want my PC (whether it be a desktop or notebook) to play PC games without any issues. Would it be better if I went with a desktop computer instead?

So guys, if you could help me out with this, that would be great.

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2022 at 3:17 PM, lina145 said:

It would be amazing if you could tell me what specific graphic card and other components would be required in the notebook for me to play practically any PC game on it (which company's notebook should I choose). I'm intending to buy a new laptop, but I also want to use it as a gaming device.

I would love to get a notebook computer because of its portability, but I also want my PC (whether it be a desktop or notebook) to play PC games without any issues. Would it be better if I went with a desktop computer instead?

So guys, if you could help me out with this, that would be great.

ofcourse YES FOR DESKTOP

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...