Jump to content

The Laptop/Notebook thread.


khanak
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is anyone here using this MI Notebook:

 

Mi Notebook 14 Intel Core i5-10210U 10th Gen Thin and Light Laptop(8GB/256GB SSD/Windows 10/Intel UHD Graphics/Silver/1.5Kg), XMA1901-FC+Webcam

 

I need to get a Laptop within 42k for light usage at home. Mainly for browsing (wi-fi), light Excel and Notepad work and watching videos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is anyone here using this MI Notebook:
 
Mi Notebook 14 Intel Core i5-10210U 10th Gen Thin and Light Laptop(8GB/256GB SSD/Windows 10/Intel UHD Graphics/Silver/1.5Kg), XMA1901-FC+Webcam
 
I need to get a Laptop within 42k for light usage at home. Mainly for browsing (wi-fi), light Excel and Notepad work and watching videos.
It's a good laptop but I would suggest Rather get an ipad

Sent from my HD1911 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My MacBook Pro 2019 drains the battery and gets really hot randomly at times. Is there any kind of test I can do to check it? I went to the local service centre and they said they'll charge 3 thousand just to check whats wrong with it. That is insane. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I'll be switching from an old alienware to an asus soon. I was planning to clone my boot ssd to the asus one and overwrite the stock OS it comes with, and put in my other ssd in the free slot as-is. This way all programs, games and settings are preserved, and I just need to uninstall alienware software and install asus software. Is it better to do this or to set up the stock OS from scratch on the asus? Will windows update asus-specific stuff if I do what I am planning to?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello fellow members,
I am looking for a laptop with the following requirements for my sister. Her older laptop (Asus VivoBook) requires an upgrade.

Build QualityHighly prefer a metal-built laptop. The lower right bezel [meh plastic] on her laptop broke twice due to a little improper handling.
Storage: SSD is a must. She hates the slow 5400RPM HDD on her VivoBook. I scoured through some laptops on Amazon and all of them has only 512 SSD/1 TB HDD+ 256 SSD
Processor: Doesn't need to be very powerful as she'll mostly be doing basic office stuff [browsing, excel, OneNote, coding], a little of photo/video/audio editing and AutoCAD
Display: Need to have great colours. She is fine with 1080p 60Hz, but an upgrade would certainly be better
Battery: More than 6 hours of battery backup is fine, as I'll be recommending her to do heavy tasks only while connected to charger
Graphics Card: She doesn't game or use Blender, but she uses AutoCAD, so GPU is important. I would like others' view on this. Would integrated graphics be enough, or should I go for a dGPU?

She's fine with normal laptop keeb and trackpad. She always uses her laptop with lights on, so backlit keeb is not a big factor.

Looked into the new MacBooks. Looks great, but it is on the expensive side, and I don't know how much Apple repairs cost. She will also be new to macOS.

I know there are a lot of requirements [emoji28]
 
Any and all recommendations are welcomed

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 10:22 AM, Black_Hawk said:

Is anyone here using this MI Notebook:

 

Mi Notebook 14 Intel Core i5-10210U 10th Gen Thin and Light Laptop(8GB/256GB SSD/Windows 10/Intel UHD Graphics/Silver/1.5Kg), XMA1901-FC+Webcam

 

I need to get a Laptop within 42k for light usage at home. Mainly for browsing (wi-fi), light Excel and Notepad work and watching videos.

 

On 2/8/2021 at 6:47 PM, armaan said:

I need to get a  Laptop for work just basic emails and MS office

planning to go for Microsoft Surface GO. 

Please let me know which laptop/model you guys finally went with.

I am also looking to get a laptop for just the basic stuff. If anyone else has any suggestion, please let me know :arigato:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 9:40 AM, b!T said:

 

Why a laptop? unless you move around, go for a desktop. Gaming laptops are a waste of money. I use one and i miss a desktop.

How much would a desktop setup cost with RTX 3080? I already have a monitor and other peripherals. and will it be cheaper to get from abroad say if a relative is coming from canada?

Edited by Soultrader92
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Soultrader92 said:

How much would a desktop setup cost with RTX 3080? I already have a monitor and other peripherals. and will it be cheaper to get from abroad say if a relative is coming from canada?

 

No clue of the prices now but I've heard GPUs are crazy expensive and scalpers are making it hard for everyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone using the ROG X13 Flow? I'm planning to go for the 3050Ti model. Main use is light video/photo editing, some excel crunching, 3D modeling/rendering and light coding and ability to play the occasional game. Portability is important. 

Was looking at the ROG Zephyrus G14 which is a bit cheaper but inclining towards X13 for the touch screen and flexibility of the tablet mode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, psinide said:

Anyone using the ROG X13 Flow? I'm planning to go for the 3050Ti model. Main use is light video/photo editing, some excel crunching, 3D modeling/rendering and light coding and ability to play the occasional game. Portability is important. 

Was looking at the ROG Zephyrus G14 which is a bit cheaper but inclining towards X13 for the touch screen and flexibility of the tablet mode.

I currently have a touch screen laptop, envy x360 which folds back completely. i bought it thinking I could use the touchscreen frequently, to watch movies or read books, or read digital comic books (this was the main draw), But i can tell you that this use case doesnt work very well with laptops. At least it didnt for me, I ended up barely using the fully reversible screen. Plus on the downside it makes your laptop much heavier and reduces battery life considerably while increasing the cost.
Do think carefully unless you already have used touch laptops and you are happy with them.

BTW check out this one https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-15-6-inch-RTX-3050-Graphics-FA506IC-HN005T/dp/B09CCW5XVM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=asus+tuf+a15&qid=1646758756&sprefix=asus%2Caps%2C307&sr=8-1 for ~75k 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Soultrader92 said:

I currently have a touch screen laptop, envy x360 which folds back completely. i bought it thinking I could use the touchscreen frequently, to watch movies or read books, or read digital comic books (this was the main draw), But i can tell you that this use case doesnt work very well with laptops. At least it didnt for me, I ended up barely using the fully reversible screen. Plus on the downside it makes your laptop much heavier and reduces battery life considerably while increasing the cost.
Do think carefully unless you already have used touch laptops and you are happy with them.

BTW check out this one https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-15-6-inch-RTX-3050-Graphics-FA506IC-HN005T/dp/B09CCW5XVM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=asus+tuf+a15&qid=1646758756&sprefix=asus%2Caps%2C307&sr=8-1 for ~75k 

I haven't used touch screen laptops before, but do have use case for video/photo editing (albeit minor). I have been looking to get a tablet as well, so thought this 2-in-1 would do the trick. Main reason for the X13 was the portability. The TUF series is quite bulky, if not the X13, I'd probably go for the Zephyrus or the Strix/Scar models. I'm happy with a 14inch screen to keep the portability.

 

From the reviews I've seen, the X13 has a decent enough battery life, and supports USB-C charging to add to the convenience. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, psinide said:

I haven't used touch screen laptops before, but do have use case for video/photo editing (albeit minor). I have been looking to get a tablet as well, so thought this 2-in-1 would do the trick. Main reason for the X13 was the portability. The TUF series is quite bulky, if not the X13, I'd probably go for the Zephyrus or the Strix/Scar models. I'm happy with a 14inch screen to keep the portability.

 

From the reviews I've seen, the X13 has a decent enough battery life, and supports USB-C charging to add to the convenience. 

I guess then its cool. Mine was an older model, and a 15.6 inch screen so lower battery life anyway and made worse by the touch screen. So it ended up being quite bulky. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...