The Laptop/Notebook thread.

khanak

Guys.. I NEED HELP..

I have a Sony Viao.. And I have forgotten the password to start my lappy.. Yeh I am serious.. tried all possible permutation combination..that damn thing says wrong password. Now even when I am trying to replace the password it says insert password recovery disc..which I don't know and don't have.

Can you guys please help me here.. How do I start my machine without my password or how do I recover my password.. And yeh.. the hint doesn't help me remember either..

Gosh! I feel like Ghajini.. Uff!

Guys, I tried.. Even pressed F8 a couple of times and entered safe mode, it still asks for password.. I am so upset now.. Is there really no way to recover a laptop password? :(

It's really easy Miss.

Just check the solutions given here .. I would recommend Ophcrack.

:cheers:

Edited by Dr.McNinja

Too late I guess.. I ve reformatted my C drive. Can login now but lost all my data stored on the laptop.. So It's a brand new year and a brand new laptop yet again...

this is the correct thread.. so replying over here...

u don't store data on the OS partition... :chair: in most cases C:

just to avoid issues like this... u can format n not lose any data if the data is stored on any other partition....

the only stuff u will lose is all the installed app n custom settings... (which can be re-done) n also bookmarks on ur browser :harhar:

@Megz: Which OS ? XP, Vista or 7 ?

Yep. :P

I've got one running Win7 Starter [belch] and the other running Ubuntu Netbook Remix. Now the question I have is that if I switch to something like Windows XP, is there an Atom or AMD processor driver I can use with the operating system to still maximize my use of Pinetrail? Otherwise the battery just becomes another regular batt because the processor isn't really being used by the OS optimally? I don't mind switching either netbook over to the other OS, the Ubuntu one gets more facetime anyways but I want to put VS Express on the other laptop without having too much in the form of bells and whistles running on it. Strictly for small code fixes during presentations etc.

Edited by Mel81x

:hi2:

Does anyone know whether the APAD is worth it (6000 Rs)?

I'd say put some more money in and hit up a company like Acer [i really like them] or there is an HCL one that the guys at the shop tried pushing off on me and they said its pretty good. The others are a bit too pricey to even be called serious netbooks.

I've got one running Win7 Starter [belch] and the other running Ubuntu Netbook Remix. Now the question I have is that if I switch to something like Windows XP, is there an Atom or AMD processor driver I can use with the operating system to still maximize my use of Pinetrail? Otherwise the battery just becomes another regular batt because the processor isn't really being used by the OS optimally? I don't mind switching either netbook over to the other OS, the Ubuntu one gets more facetime anyways but I want to put VS Express on the other laptop without having too much in the form of bells and whistles running on it. Strictly for small code fixes during presentations etc.

I don't think there's any particular driver for the processor as such but Win XP does a commendable job as a netbook OS. On the HP Mini, it easily gave 6 hours+ of life on a 6 cell battery. More important than the processor driver is how the other components use power. A look at Toshiba's custom optimization software for their lappies & netbooks leaves every other brand in the dust. Their cells easily clock 10 hours+ in real world scenario. I think Asus has a similar software for their line of netbooks (not sure though).

Going with Win XP is a pretty good option. A similar setup with Win 7 Starter gave me 45 mins of less battery life, plus it'as comparatively slower too.

Haven't used Ubuntu NR, but even Jolicloud is awesome ! Though one would miss the advanced functionalities of Windows given we don't have high broadband speeds here.

Edit: You can also try netbooks with ULV processors for even greater battery life but having used them for a couple of hours, I found it to be veryyyyy slowwwww ! :|

Edited by F@tm@n