'Game collection' syndrome - do u have it ?

Ne0

OK, FIRST THINGS FIRST, SMART a*s REPLYERS PLS STAY AWAY, DISPLAY YOUR WIT SOMEWHERE ELSE, I JUST EXPECT SOME HEALTHY DISCUSSION OR NOTHING, SO STAY AWAY IF JUST WANT TO TROLL OR TRY TO BE A SMARTASS ! NO OFFENSE, BUT PLEASE - TROLLERS LAYOFF !

Haven't gamed much in the past two days, was playing a bit of GeOW, when my cousin arrived. We started chatting and she asked me what am I gonna shop for the new year,

I said - 'probably a ps3 and buy some new games',

she asked - 'but u already have a x360, y do u need a ps3 now' ?

I said 'becoz it has some games which x360 doesnt have'

she says 'all ur games are the same, same shooter or sports, with just some diff env and diff enemies, so stop spending on tat and buy something more worthwhile'

The debate ended there. But it really had me thinking. For the past few days, I had downloaded, three game demos, I have two games - 'saints row' & 'ysic 07' both arent even 15% completed yet, I've tons of games on PC, which are still somewhere in the range of 50-75% completion ! And, I'm already thinking of buying Mass Effect/Assassin's Creed before the end of the year ! And the worst part is, I'm pretty sure I will not be completing any of these games before the year end !

So why exactly do I want to buy them ? A video game is supposed to provide some sort of relaxation and/or distraction from our busy work life, its supposed to be a stress buster. I already have enuf games to do provide me with all that, so why am I still craving for those new games, the new console etc ? Is this some sort of addiction ? some syndrome ? some hobby gone haywire ? Playing games is one thing, mind you, but collecting games, purchasing them, watching them collect dust on ur shelves, yet go buy the other one ! Just what do we term this madness as ?

I don't even know if I'm buying those games any longer to play them or just prove a point in forums like these and brag about them ! I don't know if I'm playing them for stress busting/relaxation or I'm sorta getting addicted to them. I remember being in a similar situation before, when it was with reading fiction novels, and guess what, it really got to the point where I ate/drank/slept them. Just had to finally give it up and now I feel a lot better. Although, my gaming isn't still there, I'm afraid its on the way.

No, dont worry, I'm not asking for solution here, just putting across some random thoughts, and wondering, how many of us here have the same routine ?

And some qs, if u might wanna ans :

1. Do you buy a game because you are bored and you want something new to play or just becoz it got a good rating and is termed a 'must-buy' ?

2. Would you have brought all these games, all those expensive add-ons etc, if u did not have any place/means to show it off like this forum ?

3. Do you really game to distract yourself, or has it become a part of your life now ?

4. Do you spend more time actually 'gaming' or more time just discussing about gaming on forums such as these ?

Discussions are welcome....if you do feel like it, if u feel its just some random ranting and you already know better....well, good for you :sign_offtopic:

1. Do you buy a game because you are bored and you want something new to play or just becoz it got a good rating and is termed a 'must-buy' ?

1.I buy games which i think will make me have fun and spend my free time on.I just dont buy them because everyone has got them

2. Would you have brought all these games, all those expensive add-ons etc, if u did not have any place/means to show it off like this forum ?

2.I would buy whatever is needed and i pretty much dont care what the world thinks.

3. Do you really game to distract yourself, or has it become a part of your life now ?

3.I guess,In some way they are a part of my life but other things also play a major role.

4. Do you spend more time actually 'gaming' or more time just discussing about gaming on forums such as these ?

4.I can only game on weekends so,yeah i spend more time talking about them

P.S. : I think you are normal and this happens with everyone.Not many complete each and every game.So,relax and GAME ON! :sign_offtopic:

"I don't have that syndrome and I don't buy games for every system" *repeating 10 more times* :sign_offtopic:

But seriously, and no offense against your cousin or girlfriend, my advice is 'never ask/tell a girl about your gaming habits' unless they are into some serious gaming themselves. They'll always tell you to do something 'useful' and 'worthwhile', like watching a yash chopra movie with them.

And don't worry about not completing a game. I haven't completed half of my games and still eagerly waiting for next big release.

Hey Neo, great point you have there.

Believe it or not i have the same problem. I've bought PGR 3 (20-25% completed), NBA2k7 and Top Spin2 (just for fun coz i like both sports), Bioshock (now this game intrigues me because i was soooo looking forward to playing it and when i started, 30% through the game i had to put it down and start playing Heavenly Sword and even stopped playing that at around 50% to start playing F1-CE). So basically we both, as i'm sure others as well, are facing the same problem. I wish i could pin point and give this sickness/syndrome a name but unfortunately i can't. One thing though, is that i don't like bragging about my games on this forum and i restrict myself to healthy discussions under their respective threads.

To answer your questions:

1. A little of both actually, because when i get bored and if i like a game that's a must buy then i'll go for it without hesitation.

2. Yes. Again i don't buy a game to show it off on this forum.

3. I game because it's part of my life now but as you get older your taste for blood and gore decreases and you tend to lean towards casual games.

4. More time discussing. I've had my 360 for almost a year now and my GT point is only 360. I can't play games for long as i get frequent headaches if i keep playing for more than an hour and the pain is agonizing afterwards. So i tend to limit my game time.

Cheers.

I have limited cash which means the demo and video needs to satisfy my hunger lol. Good developers and rating is a plus point and hence plays an important part in the selection of games.

'bought' you mean lol. I buy only those accessories or games that are needed by me. If i intend to buy all these things only because i want to show off, i seriously would need to get a life lol

I am not a huge or a top gamer. I play because its a good entertainment for me and also helps me being more creative and think something new plus games are stress burner and give me a good break from my studies.

I spend more time discussing about gaming on various forums and with friends. I feel that by exchanging views one gets to know about other person's feedback and opinions about the game. I used to play an hour daily which makes it 6-7 hrs/week but it all depends on the type of game i currently have and my mood. There are time's when i don't game for over a month. I never hurry finishing any game and take time to appreciate it and get my full worth out of it lol

[ MT : No! I am not suffering from PMS^ :sign_offtopic: ]

Generally speaking I do have an urge to buy new games and enjoy gaming experience on new types of console but then again human wants are unlimited and one needs to adjust and make himself/herself satisfy. In the near future, i might pick a PSP but i don't think i will be picking a PS3 unless i have spare money to just blow it. Lots of folks over here are working so they can pick all kinds of consoles and games. For me my necessities come first and then gaming. Honestly owning an Xbox360 + Talking a lot about gaming on the internet satisfies me a lot. I know a few people who own all the three consoles but yet are not satisfied somehow. So i guess it all depends from person to person

hey bro,

I too face the same dilemma every now and then...As latest as yesterday when I actually bought a new GoW....I did ask myself a question, why do i need it as its already a year old??, do i need it to brag among my friends and stuff like that....

But finally it boiled down to just two justifications- One, the game was damn good (as per the forums and reviews) and i didnt want to miss on it. Two, we all have very limited free time (some go to school, some to work and so on) and what matters the most here is how I am going to spend my free time???

I enoy my free time playing games or just lazying around and if you too love doing something the most (gaming for example), then dont feel guilty about it!

I have blown up 35k in just 2 months buying console and games but i dont have any regrets...my friends ask me to cut it down (they r not gamers) but i feel sorry for them as they dont know what they r missing!!

As long as you love what u r doing and spending time in a way u enjy your time, have no doubts mate!! :thumbsup:

But seriously, and no offense against your cousin or girlfriend, my advice is 'never ask/tell a girl about your gaming habits' unless they are into some serious gaming themselves.

cant agree more!!!

and yes i suffer from the game collection syndrome

we're all addicts/junkies neo - some of the more severe cases have turned rogue and started to cheat the system in order to get their 'fixes' faster and cheaper than others.

you bring up an interesting point to consider/debate: bragging rights have always been a part and parcel of gaming, but without an outlet like our forums or a social matchmaking network like XBL, would we be gaming as much? i think not. i had reached a point where i could be considered a jaded gamer, someone who has played enough games to stop being excited by the next big thing, but after reconnecting with enthusiastic gamers (thanks to IndianVideoGamer), the spark to play games has been rekindled to some extent...

V

ps: i wanna play uncharted... so badly... it hurts... help! mommy!

well, i dont suffer frm the game collection syndrome....but i do have this bad habit of wanting to own/tryout every game...even if someone says its pathetic....i still have to go out and buy it myself...tht y i end up spending a lot of money...but i make sure to sell the game as soon as im convinced tht this game is not for me.....

i buy it coz im bored...i never look at the ratings...coz everyone has their own opinions...and hardly do they ever match....hence, any game tht i feel would be good or worth playing, i have to get it..some way or the other....

yes....dont care much abt whether anyone knows it or not...its mainly coz of me...but if i do buy a highly rated game or sumthing before anyone else does, then i love making everyone jealous... ;)

its part of life man....i just love it....anytime, anywhere...and i dont mind telling ppl abt it....never be ashamed of anything u do....if u are, then quit doing it....

well, both are equal for me....some days i dont care abt anything else and just game till my eyes are watering..other days i stay online a lot and hardly play....so its a good balance, according to what im comfortable with...

I cannot resist the urge to pick up any new game that I see on shelves... ratings are only secondary and are only a concern if I am a little short on cash and if have to choose between new games. For a "must buy" title like say BioShock, I'd go and buy it right away or even queue up for it at midnight (if those kind of things happened in India). I also order games online and end up paying almost twice the cost for some rare titles or titles which won't get released here (I just placed an order for The Witcher and added more RAM to my PC just to play it 'cause I heard the load times are insane).

So yeah, in short I buy new games not just because I'm bored or want something new.

Yes.

A part of my life. I spend most of my internet time browsing these forums or gaming related stuff. Also, I need to have at least a 2 hour gaming fix each day.

More time on gaming. Unfortunately I don't get much time on weekdays, but it does take a large chunk of my time on weekends. Besides this is the only gaming forum (or even any internet community for that matter) which I'm a member of.

Archived