The Android Thread

pArth

but y'all root it anyway so whats the beef? :P

Modding and applying themese on Android phones is easier than applying your custom themes on JB iPhone. Keep in mind I said custom.. 80% of the Cydia themes suck.. I've gone through so many of them, came back to stock in the end.

Edited by Superfrag

Modding and applying themese on Android phones is easier than applying your custom themes on JB iPhone. Keep in mind I said custom.. 80% of the Cydia themes suck.. I've gone through so many of them, came back to stock in the end.

I'll just use this post to reply to your earlier posts. I dont have a problem with modding and customizing. I know that if i give it some time, then my phone will look as i want it to. But the performance issues out of the box with the sgs has really spoiled the experience for me. I dont want to install a ton of fixes and pathetic firmwares to get my phone running. Whatever SGS owners here will say, they are just consoling themselves but they know that the performance they get is not what you should expect out of a 1 ghz proc and 512mb ram and a powerful graphics chip.

Like u say, I would never recommend anyone to buy the SGS. Stick to HTC desire Z or hope for Google to release a nexus 2.

Edited by Death Stryke

but y'all root it anyway so whats the beef? :P

I don't think shantz has rooted his phone though, atleast as far as i know.

correctomundo...That said, I don't even play around with the looks part as well..I'm more of a function over form guy..so not much playing around with UI/themes/fonts and stuff..

I'll just use this post to reply to your earlier posts. I dont have a problem with modding and customizing. I know that if i give it some time, then my phone will look as i want it to. But the performance issues out of the box with the sgs has really spoiled the experience for me. I dont want to install a ton of fixes and pathetic firmwares to get my phone running. Whatever SGS owners here will say, they are just consoling themselves but they know that the performance they get is not what you should expect out of a 1 ghz proc and 512mb ram and a powerful graphics chip.

Like u say, I would never recommend anyone to buy the SGS. Stick to HTC desire Z or hope for Google to release a nexus 2.

I understand your point.. I myself bought the G2 after trying it at the store.. its so smooth out of the box.. no lags or stalls or anything of the kind.. That said, I'm waiting for perma root to apply mods!

for out of box xp try x10 its gud but not as much things to do as sgs

X10 out of the box?! You're kidding right? That's worse than the SGS, it runs on 1.6/Donut..

Dost that was a rumour that was started around July and it stemmed from a specs wishlist..This fonearena guy (like most other Indian bloggers who just know how to surf other sites, rip news, reword and repost) just came across the unwired link from july, didn't read the date and posted this as a breaking news stuff.

Dost that was a rumour that was started around July and it stemmed from a specs wishlist..This fonearena guy (like most other Indian bloggers who just know how to surf other sites, rip news, reword and repost) just came across the unwired link from july, didn't read the date and posted this as a breaking news stuff.

Oh ! My bad !

Hehe yea, i rem seeing this mockup. Bleh. Specs mean nothing. Samsung better work on hiring better software engineers

Seriously. And there are rumours floating around that Samsung is doing Nexus Two and it will be released next week.

I will be massively disappointed if that is the case. Or hope that if it is indeed true then Google stepped in with a big role to actually teach them how to make an Android phone.

All vendors except HTC are doing such a rape of android. Samsung we already know. SE keeps playing catch up. Moto is such a massive fail as well, they keep changing the underlying android framework apis in a way that keeps breaking stuff. A lot of the apps I install have something like this mentioned in its description: "Doesn't work on Droid X", "Doesn't work on captivate/vibrant", "Doesn't work on Droid" etc..WTF!!

^True. And most customers then blame android, while the fault may lie with the manufacturer. This is why Google needs to step up and take more control. They should take a leaf out of MS's book and put a little more control on the handsets that come with android. They have the resources to do that. But then I dont know if it will break any open source policies if that happens.

I feel at that you can't be too open source with handsets, where at the end of the day, manufacturers and carriers have most control unless they release handsets like Synapse do, which they wont. Thus there are possibilities of borked firmwares. There is only so much XDA and cyanogen etc can do to correct that. And other than 0.1% of the population, no one would know about xda etc anyway, so customer in the end suffers.

Edited by Death Stryke